MPAA admits to unauthorized movie copying

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060124-6036.html
Director Kirby Dick submitted the film for rating in November. After receiving the movie, the MPAA subsequently made copies without Dick's permission. Dick had specifically requested in an e-mail that the MPAA not make copies of the movie. The MPAA responded by saying that "the confidentiality of your film is our first priority."

Dick later learned that the MPAA made copies of the film to distribute them to its employees, despite the MPAA's stance on unauthorized copying.

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
This case really sickens me. I saw a news story regarding this topic in today's local news.

http://www.econoculture.com/m/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=45

The story is this:

A teenager used his grandfather's computer to download 4 movies. This was discovered by the MPAA. They then slapped the grandfather with a $600,000 lawsuit because he SHOULD have known what his grandson was doing. To prevent the lawsuit, the kid arranged a deal where he went around the city of Milwaukee, speaking against it to other students.

Why is it that the MPAA will hold a kid's grandfather hostage financially, but then not uphold their own laws? I find it rather sick and twisted.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
When did the MPAA and the RIAA become legislative branches of the American Government? Last I knew, they were private businesses, not government agencies. How did you Americans let them become so bloody powerful that they can get away with what they are doing?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno, but I think I as an Indie filmmaker I will sue the MPAA for $600,000.00 bucks because I can't safley submit my films to them, and I am afraid to distribute them via the web or filesharing as they might mistakenly sue me... therefore they are affecting my ability to profit from my work.

Hmm.

Actually...

Any lawyers in the house want a client?

:D

Latest Discussions