Why are almost “all” instructors…

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also think there are instructors who just do what they see other instructors doing. So if an instructor sees a lot of folks in their area posting multiple affiliations, they (perhaps incorrectly) assume that's what's working these days in MA marketing, so they join groups that invite them, so they can post a list of affiliations, too.

Remember that most MA instructors don't really know much about marketing and building a business. What they do know was probably learned from their instructor, so may be hopelessly outdated. So they may bumble around and do things that don't make much sense from our point of view. Some of it might even work. Maybe listing 5 associations actually brings in more students.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m not saying all, but a lot of times(especially McDojos) you will find the instructor has on their information page on their website they belong to some sort of World or United States association? How many could there possibly be! Lol. Like I am an Aikido student so I know the Aikikai is legit so to speak but these guys remind me of Count Dante and the BDFS. What’s up with all that? Marketing? I’m sure they have to pay dues so what do they get out of it?
To you question of how many associations and such; thousands. Many of them are fully legitimate and carry a lot of weight. Unfortunately there are many snake oil salesman out there as well. In comparison, how many 'made up' martial arts systems have you heard of? MyOwnRyu is likely a system someone out there is promoting. The same can be said for federations as well. "Well, I cannot belong to 'X' federation so I will takes my toys and start 'Y' federation. It happens all the time.
Let's be honest; a lot of the martial arts world has a "band of brothers" mentality. Belonging to something is comfortable, reassuring and .confidence for many people. Done the right way and this is one of the strongest bonding agents in any group venture.
I like to think todays society (most if it anyway) is smart enough to figure much of this out over time. With the speed of internet research these days it is pretty easy to see when something is running into a dead end. That said, a bad website does not explicitly make something like an association bad. It may just indicate poor social media skills. Not always a bad thing. My GM's website is atrocious and not updated very often. But the proof is in the pudding.
This brings me to the fact that most often belonging to an association/federation has more value on the local level. So it does not matter as much if it has a huge internet presence or is known of worldwide.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
I’m not saying all, but a lot of times(especially McDojos) you will find the instructor has on their information page on their website they belong to some sort of World or United States association? How many could there possibly be! Lol. Like I am an Aikido student so I know the Aikikai is legit so to speak but these guys remind me of Count Dante and the BDFS. What’s up with all that? Marketing? I’m sure they have to pay dues so what do they get out of it?
Many people want to fluff their resume. That is the only reason for it.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many people want to fluff their resume. That is the only reason for it.
how many associations and such; thousands. Many of them are fully legitimate and carry a lot of weight. Unfortunately there are many snake oil salesman out there as well.
All true (the good and bad) to some extent. Much of it is ego, some of it is marketing, especially trans-style associations. Or for some anonymous outfit to buy a promotion from. If every/anyone can join, it serves no real purpose other than to make someone money.

I get promoted by my sensei. He gets promoted by his sensei in Okinawa. Very direct. No formal organization needed. While there is a descriptive association, loyalty is personal and simple. I pay no dues or mandatory fees, just respect and commitment to honor our heritage. To be sure, this is an uncommon thing in today's MA world.

Latest Discussions