Non martial artists teaching children to punch and karate 'chop'

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you really thing these kids can air punch for 40 mins
None that I've worked with have, but I've never tried to get them to do that. The OP has stated that this has already happened in some cases. I don't work with kids (don't have the patience for it), so I'm not sure if that's realistic or not.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very rare, , ok so now your admitting that learning from other children is possible, so no adult needed
I never said it wasn't possible. Mind you, it's not going to be happening among 5-7 year olds who don't know the skill already.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you really thing these kids can air punch for 40 mins

Yes, because the leaders don't lie (see below) besides there's no reason to and because I've seen plenty of children punching for that long and sometimes longer. There used to be a TKD club where I am, the chief instructor took quite young children and had them drilling for long amounts of time. I didn't like it but not my club.

The Guide Law
  1. A Guide is honest, reliable and can be trusted.
  2. A Guide is helpful and uses her time and abilities wisely.
  3. A Guide faces challenge and learns from her experiences.
  4. A Guide is a good friend and a sister to all Guides.
  5. A Guide is polite and considerate.
  6. A Guide respects all living things and takes care of the world around h

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, because the leaders don't lie (see below) besides there's no reason to and because I've seen plenty of children punching for that long and sometimes longer. There used to be a TKD club where I am, the chief instructor took quite young children and had them drilling for long amounts of time. I didn't like it but not my club.

The Guide Law
  1. A Guide is honest, reliable and can be trusted.
  2. A Guide is helpful and uses her time and abilities wisely.
  3. A Guide faces challenge and learns from her experiences.
  4. A Guide is a good friend and a sister to all Guides.
  5. A Guide is polite and considerate.
  6. A Guide respects all living things and takes care of the world around h
five yo can't,air punch for 40mins, most adults can only manage five mins, your talking nonsense, they law needs another section, guides,shouldn't grossly exaggerate to try and win an argument

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
five yo can't,air punch for 40mins, most adults can only manage five mins, your talking nonsense, they law needs another section, guides,shouldn't grossly exaggerate to try and win an argument

Being disagreeable again? I see at least you admit you are arguing. I am not.

Every since you joined MT you have made it your business to be disagreeable and argumentative, one person has already left MT because of you, how many others will think it's a waste of time posting anything, starting new threads because you destroy them? And it is a waste of time, you don't contribute anything to discussions just be argumentative. it's getting tiresome, I wanted feedback laid out in a positive way even if doesn't gel with my thoughts but instead I have you, picking bits out, sneering, arguing, quibbling, misquoting and causing people I would really like to hear from not to post. The people who contributed positively and I don't mean agreed with me, I thank them but as far as I'm concerned I'm done, you can take your pettiness off to a new thread and spoil someone else's thread.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being disagreeable again? I see at least you admit you are arguing. I am not.

Every since you joined MT you have made it your business to be disagreeable and argumentative, one person has already left MT because of you, how many others will think it's a waste of time posting anything, starting new threads because you destroy them? And it is a waste of time, you don't contribute anything to discussions just be argumentative. it's getting tiresome, I wanted feedback laid out in a positive way even if doesn't gel with my thoughts but instead I have you, picking bits out, sneering, arguing, quibbling, misquoting and causing people I would really like to hear from not to post. The people who contributed positively and I don't mean agreed with me, I thank them but as far as I'm concerned I'm done, you can take your pettiness off to a new thread and spoil someone else's thread.
bored now, you carry on being a kill joy

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Industry? It may be to you but to the people I know and train with it's not an industry at all.

You have people exchanging money for services... It's a industry.

Who said anything about restricting it, I have given my Rainbow's karate and some self defence lessons, I'm also asked to show the older Brownies, Guides and Rangers martial arts. You are misreading if you think I want to restrict it. What I'm saying is let's not have people who know nothing about martial arts trying to teach karate, instead let's have a qualified instructor in who can make it fun, interesting and informative as well as teach them a few things done properly. Is that too much to ask?

It's a matter of practicality. Lots of kids programs aim to introduce a huge variety of things to kids. They don't bring in someone with a fine arts degree to teach crafts, they don't bring in a certified coach to play dodgeball and it should come as no surprise that they don't bring in a expert to do the martial arts piece.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
NO, they aren't, missed the point again, they are punching into air, the balloon game is a suggestion to do after the air punching, not the activity. really, how many times do you have to be told?
I don't know why you bother trying to explain stuff to Jobo.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Awesome! And if you were lucky enough to find a sturdy enough y-shape tree branch you could make a serviceable catapult with rubber band propulsion.. Tho I could never get it to work too good.. maybe if I had had proper adult tuition or some thing....

We did glove guns.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I dont know. I have seen kids. They are mostly running head first into things. I am not sure what damage bad karate is really going to do in the scheme of things.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To a limited extent, and I actually mentioned that earlier. But in the context specified, there wouldn't be a 9-year-old present.
you question to me was can a 5 to 7 yo larn to use a bat of some description correctly with out ADULT INSTRUCTION.
and my answer was certainly, they have been doing it for many many generations, through trial and error , through imitation of people on the TV, by copying other children who are better.

give a kid a tennis bat and ball and a wall to hit it against and in little lime they will be knocking it back to themselves. Then put them on a tennis court and they will be playing to a reasonable,standard for their age and ability in no time

you could make a point that coaching would speed up this process and they would be better sooner, or just better. But that doesn't alter the fact that they can teach themselves to develop first the hand eye co ordination to hit it and then the techneque to hit it where they want it to go through experimentation and practise

I watched my 7yo niece who is a,particularly determined child, pick up a table tennis bat for the first time and with in an hour was beating adults, not very good adults you understand but,adults never the less.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you question to me was can a 5 to 7 yo larn to use a bat of some description correctly with out ADULT INSTRUCTION.
and my answer was certainly, they have been doing it for many many generations, through trial and error , through imitation of people on the TV, by copying other children who are better.

give a kid a tennis bat and ball and a wall to hit it against and in little lime they will be knocking it back to themselves. Then put them on a tennis court and they will be playing to a reasonable,standard for their age and ability in no time

you could make a point that coaching would speed up this process and they would be better sooner, or just better. But that doesn't alter the fact that they can teach themselves to develop first the hand eye co ordination to hit it and then the techneque to hit it where they want it to go through experimentation and practise

I watched my 7yo niece who is a,particularly co ordonated child, pick up a table tennis bat for the first time and with in an hour was beating adults, not very good adults you understand but,adults never the less
If your 7-year-old niece is beating adults at table tennis within an hour, either they are awful, or she is a prodigy. Or they are letting her win. Has to be one or more of the three. I'm only passably competent at it, and I could easily beat an experienced 7-year-old non-prodigy, by sheer dint of reach.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your 7-year-old niece is beating adults at table tennis within an hour, either they are awful, or she is a prodigy. Or they are letting her win. Has to be one or more of the three. I'm only passably competent at it, and I could easily beat an experienced 7-year-old non-prodigy, by sheer dint of reach.
she is a well co ordonated child, but the point remains that in little time she had taught her self to play well enough to land the ball back on their side of the net with spin

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
she is a well co ordonated child, but the point remains that in little time she had taught her self to play well enough to land the ball back on their side of the net with spin
she was also knocking tennis balls with a base ball bat away into the,distance 4times out of ten in less than an hour, through she did nearly kill the dog with one,swing

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then she is exceptional. Exceptions cannot reasonably be used to develop approaches for all children.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then she is exceptional. Exceptions cannot reasonably be used to develop approaches for all children.
her speed of learning is exceptional, that she can learn through experience and practise is an ability common to all children.
I don't know why you doubt it to be true, the evidence of children learning things with no adult instruction is all around you.

every kid round here can wheelie their mountain bike, there isn't a wheelie your mountain bike coach teaching them how to do that and its a particualy hard skill to master, I've been trying for 5years now

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
her speed of learning is exceptional, that she can learn through experience and practise is an ability common to all children.
I don't know why you doubt it to be true, the evidence of children learning things with no adult instruction is all around you.

every kid round here can wheelie their mountain bike, there isn't a wheelie your mountain bike coach teaching them how to do that and its a particualy hard skill to master, I've been trying for 5years now
Children do not typically learn complex skills (like sports movements) quickly without help. Remember, we're not talking about kids having ages to learn this - it's a single activity period. You're getting very lost in your arguments, losing track of what we're actually discussing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, regardless of whether karate is well taught or not, I do wish that the Girl Scouts of America were still like how I believe Tez3 runs the guides in the UK. This program seems like what I had hoped for in the GSA, but I would be very surprised if a girl scouts group did anything at all beyond selling cookies. Maybe there are some terrific troop leaders out there, but I haven't had found them yet.

If the brownie troop had done even this karate activity, maybe we'd still be involved.

Latest Discussions