whos your fave famous martial artist?

Reaction score
i love this question , it can be an actor/martialartist , a UFC fighter , a MA tournament winner , or any other famous martial artist , id also like to know why

mine has got to be micheal bisbing from the ultimate fighter 3 tv series because hes just a nice bloke and an exelent fighter , and bruce lee because...well , id be going on for ages , but you can guese why..

now its your turn!

chris

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorite martial artists are my students - as they ensure the continuance of the art.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey said:
My favorite martial artists are my students - as they ensure the continuance of the art.

I feel like I'd be less than a good instructor if I said anything other than that. :) While my students certainly are in my top 5, I'm a big fan of both Rick Roufus (in his early, pre K-1 days) & Jean Yves Theriault. They were both a pleasure to watch. My 1st instructor, Yun Kil Kim, taught me both the techniques & attitude of MA. (That goes a long way to making of an MA-ist in my book.)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay... so I missed the "famous" part... but I still stand by my answer!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll take the cliche road on this one!

I would name Jackie Chan as my favorite "famous" artist. For all his skills, he is still humble and injects a wicked sense of humor into his work. I applaud this.

My favorite non-famous artist is my Sensei. He's dedicated, compassionate and highly skilled. Moreover, he tolerates and teaches me well.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife!! Oh, but she's not famous in most circles.

In that case, and I know I'm going to get a lot of jeers for this, I have to say Chuck Norris. I've worked with the man and he is a real pro. One of the nicest guys I've ever met.

But if you catch me after watching "Fists of Legend", I'll say Jet Li.

JeffJ

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Traditional: Hirokazu Kanazawa, by a very small sliver. Very down to earth fellow, and all of that success never went to his head. There are many, many traditional martial arts folks that I have the utmost of respect for, and to take time to list them all would take too long.

Hollywood: Donnie Yen. Never really a high strung hero, just the unflappable character that kicks people's tail ends.

MMA Competition: Vitor Belfort. When his game is going well, nobody has faster hands that can pack a HUGE whallop (he pounded Tank Abbott into submission). Very nice fellow, too. I hope he snaps out of his current funk, and shows the same form he used to destroy opponents.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I almost forgot, Bridgett "BabyDoll" Riley. She's a great fighter, she's done some good work on screen, she really cute & I'm glad to call her a friend.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know I like Seagal and Van Damme as onscreen martial artists. Bruce Lee is great, however it is Bong Soo Han doing the hapkido choreography in Billy Jack. I lilke to watch Jet Li's fight choreography like the movie "Kiss of the Dragon". In the hotel getaway he kicked the pool ball out of the pocket and round kicked it in mid air knocking the guy out.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmm...

As far as Hollywood Martial Artist, I can say that no other artist has singly been as influential as Bruce Lee. I grew up watching his films, and I still get a kick out of them till this day.

If we are talking competitors, then I would have to say Baukaw Por.Pramuk. I like his style, and he has some mean kicks. If Samart Payakaroon was still fighting, he would be #1 easily.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Famous Bruce Lee
Non Famous Me - myself and I
Future Stars - Any student of any style.
Terry

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll join in on the breaking of the 'famous' rule and say that my son is my favorite martial artist. It's really nice to be able to study with someone at home between classes.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My favorites are my students they keep me going and keep reminding me why I love training and teaching.

The more well know martial artist I have a lot of respect for is Hanshi George Alexander, 9th Dan, (Matsumura Shorin Ryu), Hanshi Glenn Keeney, 9th Dan (Goju Ryu), Hanshi Phillip Koeppell, 10th Dan (Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu). Not really famous but well know and good martial artists. The ones I have a great respect for (Kyoshi Eddie B. Bethea, 8th Dan (Shorin Ryu - Shorinkan), Renshi Tom Ward, 6th Dan (Shorin Ryu - Shorinkan), Kyoshi Jack Buckley, 8th Dan (Founder American Streetwise Karate), & Shihan Aubrey Millard, Soke Dai, Jiko Ryu Seicho Jutsu.

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
i really like chuck norris because he has stayed on tv and proves his abilities as a martial arts actor. plus when i learned he did jkd instructed by bruce lee that took him up a notch on my list. he just seems to be the representation of martial arts to me as an american. of course i like jet li and jackie chan for the crazy martial arts stunts but chuck norris reminds me of my instructor.

with respect
painstain

Latest Discussions