Remake of Enter The Dragon

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/08/16/warner_bros_plans_remake_of_bruce_lee_s_

Warner Bros. Plans Remake Of Bruce Lee's 1973 Classic Martial-Arts Movie 'Enter The Dragon'

HONG KONG (AP) - Bruce Lee's classic 1973 film, ''Enter the Dragon,'' will be remade by Warner Bros. The remake, to be titled ''Awaken the Dragon,'' will be written and directed by Kurt Sutter, producer of ''The Shield'' TV series. It will be released by Warner Independent Pictures.
In an e-mail Thursday to The Associated Press, Warner Bros. publicist Laura Kim said the movie will tell the story of an FBI agent who investigates a Shaolin monk and underground kung fu fight clubs.
China's Shaolin Temple is renowned for its martial-arts tradition.
Kim declined to reveal the casting choices, budget or shooting schedule.
Lee played a kung fu fighter who infiltrates an island occupied by a rogue martial arts artist in ''Enter the Dragon.''
He died in 1973, at 32, from swelling of the brain.
Lee was known for movies in which he portrayed characters that defend the Chinese and the working class from oppressors.
He was born in San Francisco but grew up in Hong Kong, where he made his name as an actor.
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow... I don't know about this one. Part of me is offended that they would even consider. The rest of me is VERY excited to see who the cast will be. Anyone out there have any guesses as to who the main character will be? How about the main villain? Here's my vision - Jackie Chan as the good guy, Jet Li as the bad guy. With a remake so big I'm sure we'll see more then one star.:ultracool

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh for the love of God!!!!! Please, not a remake of this! Nobody can replace Bruce Lee! Come up with new ideas. Leave what was done already alone. Especially the classics.

I have to say, that the gist of what I got from the OP is that it is not really a remake. Maybe saying that is a marketing ploy.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Well, the opening thread would count as that if that is how it was released. Bruce was (is?) the best Marketer for it. Let's see....Jet Li in the main role? He's at least guilty of one remake early on. His teacher is killed, a fight in a japanese dojo against everyone, defending the Chinese as not being a weaker race...sound familiar....

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the opening thread would count as that if that is how it was released. Bruce was (is?) the best Marketer for it. Let's see....Jet Li in the main role? He's at least guilty of one remake early on. His teacher is killed, a fight in a japanese dojo against everyone, defending the Chinese as not being a weaker race...sound familiar....

Yeah, Bruce and Jet have both done that story, but it is a famous one in China and has been done dozens of times over the last century or so.

Using Bruce to market a film with a similar name is a pretty cunning idea.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fist of Legend is one of my favorite Kung Fu flicks, and it was a Bruce Lee movie remake. Yet, somehow, I have a feeling this is going to get messed up.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Thread moved to The Rec Room.

- Carol Kaur -
- MT Moderator -

Obliquity

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can't "remake" enter the Dragon. If I were a swearing man, I have a lot of swear words to encrypt here. Why can't they just make a friggin' movie for what it is without screwing-up a classic? Hopefully this is just marketing.

I need a beer. And a hug. :vu:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can't "remake" enter the Dragon. If I were a swearing man, I have a lot of swear words to encrypt here. Why can't they just make a friggin' movie for what it is without screwing-up a classic? Hopefully this is just marketing.

I need a beer. And a hug. :vu:

Because its a lot easier for hollywood to ape someone elses writing than come up with creative ideas on their own.

*hugs*

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hollywood has not been doing much of anything that isn't a sequel or a remake. Although sometimes they go way out on a limb and make a movie based on a popular book...

OP
P

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hollywood has not been doing much of anything that isn't a sequel or a remake. Although sometimes they go way out on a limb and make a movie based on a popular book...

Or maybe even a comic book..... :)

I would like to actually see Tony Jaa as the hero in this and Jet Li as the bad guy. That would be a very good fight. Maybe Jason Stratham as the John Saxon character.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like many of us, I'm having a dichotomous reaction to this news.

The initial and strongest feeling is that trying to re-make such a classic is a mistake. No matter how much better the production values might be, it will always compare badly with the original (I proffer Planet of the Apes as an example, if they did 'hide' that as a 're-imagining' rather than a re-make).

On the other hand, a new, major-league, martial arts movie will sit very nicely with me thank you very much. Just make sure that Michele Yeoh is in it or there'll be chubble :D.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
The remake, to be titled ''Awaken the Dragon,'' will be written and directed by Kurt Sutter, producer of ''The Shield'' TV series... In an e-mail Thursday to The Associated Press, Warner Bros. publicist Laura Kim said the movie will tell the story of an FBI agent who investigates a Shaolin monk and underground kung fu fight clubs.

So, it sounds like it's not really a remake, more like new version of the classic movie. Kind of like Jet Li's "Fist of Legend" was a new take on Bruce Lee's "The Chinese Connection."
I dunno, depending on who's in it, I may watch it.

Latest Discussions