"Extreme Fighting" - Killing Martial Arts?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before I post this: This is NOT... I repeat NOT to become a MMA vs Trad arts argument thread. It's NOT here to BASH MMA, or TMA, or anything like that... Its meant to be a discussion of the issue I bring up herein... regardling perception, the law, and martial arts, period. Thanks in advance for keeping to the topic.

Ok.

Rightly or wrongly, Someone commented to me several months back, maybe even a year ago that they were all for everything that brought martial arts into the "limelight" by showing them as "sporty" or "kiddie" like Olympic TKD and Ninja Turtles, etc etc... because if peoples opinions on martial arts were based on that kind of image, then its a safer bet that people wouldn't see martial artist as brawlers and fighters looking to fight... in other words, the idea that Martial Arts are about Violence would be toned down.

however working the door in a Bar, and doing some independent security gigs, I have run across a lot, A LOT, of people who assume that if you are doing that you are an "Ultimate Fighter"... I'd say I get asked at least... at least once a week. Sometimes more. "Dude! Do you do UFC? Are you an Ultimate Fighter?"

With UFC, Pride, and other versions of this so prevailant on TV, to me it seems that the UFC mindset is what people REALLY think of martial artits now...

And with some states looking to ban "Extreme Fighting" events because they see them as "Human Cock-fights"... will that image that all Martial Artists are "Extreme Fighters" hurt the arts, or possibly cause frightened, ignorant lawmakers to pass laws restricting martial arts training?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I post this: This is NOT... I repeat NOT to become a MMA vs Trad arts argument thread. It's NOT here to BASH MMA, or TMA, or anything like that... Its meant to be a discussion of the issue I bring up herein... regardling perception, the law, and martial arts, period. Thanks in advance for keeping to the topic.

Ok.​

Rightly or wrongly, Someone commented to me several months back, maybe even a year ago that they were all for everything that brought martial arts into the "limelight" by showing them as "sporty" or "kiddie" like Olympic TKD and Ninja Turtles, etc etc... because if peoples opinions on martial arts were based on that kind of image, then its a safer bet that people wouldn't see martial artist as brawlers and fighters looking to fight... in other words, the idea that Martial Arts are about Violence would be toned down.​

however working the door in a Bar, and doing some independent security gigs, I have run across a lot, A LOT, of people who assume that if you are doing that you are an "Ultimate Fighter"... I'd say I get asked at least... at least once a week. Sometimes more. "Dude! Do you do UFC? Are you an Ultimate Fighter?"​

With UFC, Pride, and other versions of this so prevailant on TV, to me it seems that the UFC mindset is what people REALLY think of martial artits now...​

And with some states looking to ban "Extreme Fighting" events because they see them as "Human Cock-fights"... will that image that all Martial Artists are "Extreme Fighters" hurt the arts, or possibly cause frightened, ignorant lawmakers to pass laws restricting martial arts training?​

IMHO, unless someone takes the time to actually sit down and explain what the arts are, differences between the various arts, etc., then they'll always have a distorted view. Sure, there are some arts that may be viewed as 'sporty' but I wouldn't want everyone to think that of all arts, as thats simply not the case.

As for the views that MMA type events give. Again, this is a misrepresentation. Sen. McCain was one of the big pushers to ban these types of events and at one point, they were pulled from PPV, but due to new sanctions, etc., they've since made a big comeback. As I said above, people do not understand what MMA is all about, so they have a distorted view, a view that all arts engage in that type of training, etc. Fighter safety is a big part of MMA, and I can't recall any recent, serious injuries.

Mike

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Ok.

Rightly or wrongly, Someone commented to me several months back, maybe even a year ago that they were all for everything that brought martial arts into the "limelight" by showing them as "sporty" or "kiddie" like Olympic TKD and Ninja Turtles, etc etc... because if peoples opinions on martial arts were based on that kind of image, then its a safer bet that people wouldn't see martial artist as brawlers and fighters looking to fight... in other words, the idea that Martial Arts are about Violence would be toned down.

however working the door in a Bar, and doing some independent security gigs, I have run across a lot, A LOT, of people who assume that if you are doing that you are an "Ultimate Fighter"... I'd say I get asked at least... at least once a week. Sometimes more. "Dude! Do you do UFC? Are you an Ultimate Fighter?"

With UFC, Pride, and other versions of this so prevailant on TV, to me it seems that the UFC mindset is what people REALLY think of martial artits now...

And with some states looking to ban "Extreme Fighting" events because they see them as "Human Cock-fights"... will that image that all Martial Artists are "Extreme Fighters" hurt the arts, or possibly cause frightened, ignorant lawmakers to pass laws restricting martial arts training?

I don't think so. I think that there is enough obvious difference between mixed martial arts events, "traditional" kickboxing, and traditional martial arts events that a distinction can be fairly easily recognized. What I think is happening to you is just the combined results of the current fadishness (to coin a word!) of MMA with the simple fact that many MMA fighters are working as guards, bouncers and what not that allow them time to train while still letting them make ends meet. And that aren't caused major problems by coming to work with a black eye, split eyebrow or whatever... By fadishness -- I'm just talking about the whole "this is the closest to a real fight; what works in the cage/octagon is closest to what works in the real world" presentation along with the current popularity; I'm not commenting on the athletes or sport itself!

As another comparison... Lots of people working in certain parts of the security industry (guards, some PIs, especially) are doing so while trying to land a job as a cop. But not everyone... and probably very few in some other parts of the security industry. Some of those in the first category are the wannabes that make every cop grind his teeth; many are not. And the public at large does understand the difference between cops, PIs, guards, bouncers and executive protection agents -- even though they often perceive guards, especially, as cop wannabes.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Do you mean the UFC mindset (implying the mindset of competitors and promoters)? or the perception of the "UFC mindset" of uneducated viewer or, worse yet, someone who had not even seen an MMA event but has just read about or talked to someone with a poor opinion of it?

Big difference. I know UFC fighters and promoters and there mindset is the regular one of dedicated atheletes who train hard and hope to compete at the highest levels that their sport offers.

On the other hand, I also have experienced those with a skewed perception of a UFC mindset and they think of them as unskilled brawlers just looking for a fight.

Frankly I am opposed to the dumbing down, watering down or generally changing something just to make it more palatable to those who can't be bothered to actually research what they are talking about.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you mean the UFC mindset (implying the mindset of competitors and promoters)? or the perception of the "UFC mindset" of uneducated viewer or, worse yet, someone who had not even seen an MMA event but has just read about or talked to someone with a poor opinion of it?.

Ah, sorry, When I said the UFC Mindset in that case I was meaning the people that percieve UFC as being "What ALL Martial Arts Are All About - Violence, Agression, and Violent beatings", not the UFC Mindset of the Competitors and Educated Viewers.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking more about this... and look at the slew of laws specifically targeting martial arts weapons after the 80's ninja boom...

I really have to wonder, and I guess point of my original post... the Could a ban on UFC type events lead to a ban on Martial Arts in general because the lawmakers are uneducated regarding the issue?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking more about this... and look at the slew of laws specifically targeting martial arts weapons after the 80's ninja boom...​

I really have to wonder, and I guess point of my original post... the Could a ban on UFC type events lead to a ban on Martial Arts in general because the lawmakers are uneducated regarding the issue?​

I'd say no. If it was going to happen, I'd imagine it would've happened already. The UFC has only been around since '93, where as arts such as Ninjutsu, Kenpo and TKD have been around much longer. Sure, NHB events may have been taking place in other countries, but what happens there, is the responsibility of their govt., not ours.

As I said earlier, I really don't foresee the UFC being banned, due to the additional rules and the athletic comm. being active in these events, I'd imagine they're pretty much safe.

Latest Discussions