What third style for me

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I need to find a third workout style that would be both fitness and low impact for my growing health issue, so I done Okinawa Karate and TKD, so what would you suggest be next that give you that sense of a real workout without all the high impact so I can get maximum effititcy. I need to be challenge and feel that I'm accomplishing something than just taking up space.
Terry

Reaction score
well i dont know if this will do but you could try muay thai , ive been going for a few months and if you find a good dojo/gym then they will wor you quite hard , exelent exersize , great for fitness , seld defence , and sport/hobby , and it never gets boring , its a great martial art and and it has strong techniques

hope i helped , chris

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I need to find a third workout style that would be both fitness and low impact for my growing health issue, so I done Okinawa Karate and TKD, so what would you suggest be next that give you that sense of a real workout without all the high impact so I can get maximum effititcy. I need to be challenge and feel that I'm accomplishing something than just taking up space.
Terry
if i were you i would try something different than the other 2 arts. I would go for either a grappling art like aikido, or jujitsu or even better internal chinese martial arts like tai chi, bagua, or something like that. Kung fu should be an interesting work out too

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
:drinkbeer

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :D

I am absolutely pissed off about this kind of behavior, drinking by yourself no wonder your aviator looks that way
icon10.gif

Terry

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just for the record I'm still doing my other Art love them too much just would like something else for a couple days of the week with low impact exorcises.
terry

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I am absolutely pissed off about this kind of behavior, drinking by yourself no wonder your aviator looks that way
icon10.gif

Terry
I certainly hope he isn't flying while doing that! :lol:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alright, I'll be serious. And yes, I'll change my avatar when I find one that suits us..er...me..

Terry. I'm not sure how you tie in your current situation with "taking up space". I think that's underestimating your worth to an extreme. Besides the positive influence you have here, do you not teach classes every day? Do you start the class with "We're going to accomplish nothing today". Of course not. Never underestimate your impact on others. Okay enough lecture from an old man.

Low impact training. What do you feel you're missing that our art does not offer? We have no low impact? Maybe instead of learning something new, you might want to consider learning something old in a new way...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should get ahold of Dog Brothers about training with one of there groups and about going to a gathering of the pack. It could be very interesting for you.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Alright, I'll be serious. And yes, I'll change my avatar when I find one that suits us..er...me..

Terry. I'm not sure how you tie in your current situation with "taking up space". I think that's underestimating your worth to an extreme. Besides the positive influence you have here, do you not teach classes every day? Do you start the class with "We're going to accomplish nothing today". Of course not. Never underestimate your impact on others. Okay enough lecture from an old man.

Low impact training. What do you feel you're missing that our art does not offer? We have no low impact? Maybe instead of learning something new, you might want to consider learning something old in a new way...

Gemini it is all about the health right now I teach three classes a day and you know I'm confident about my own abilities and those that I have touched.
Now seriious for me every night I go home hurting from throwing all those kick being taken down to show how it is suppose to be. My body is like a glass with cracks all over the place and one more hit and I maybe done. I figure I leave the school to all my BB two nights a week to do low impact training along with my TKD three nights a week and that might help me rebuild the body in time, consider Tai Chi just seemed to easy not saying it is but looks that way and beside I know nothing about the Art in it self and I want a great Instuctor like I have had my whole life.
I hope this put a different perspective on it.
terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started learning Tai Chi from someone I work with, more out of curiosity than anything. Now understand, I don't even pretend to be accomplished in any way in the art, but what I found were the principles involved, I was able to apply them to our own poomses. Circle of space, center of gravity, balance, etc.That's pretty much were I was going with this.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Gemini it is all about the health right now I teach three classes a day and you know I'm confident about my own abilities and those that I have touched.
Now seriious for me every night I go home hurting from throwing all those kick being taken down to show how it is suppose to be. My body is like a glass with cracks all over the place and one more hit and I maybe done. I figure I leave the school to all my BB two nights a week to do low impact training along with my TKD three nights a week and that might help me rebuild the body in time, consider Tai Chi just seemed to easy not saying it is but looks that way and beside I know nothing about the Art in it self and I want a great Instuctor like I have had my whole life.
I hope this put a different perspective on it.
terry

Hi Terry,

I think you might need to take a closer look or different approach to the arts you know. Those can be great for your health and fitness - but it depends on how you practice and teach them. You may find that you already have many of the answers you are searching for if you dig deeper.

I engage in ~4 hrs of various physical activity everyday and I feel great. I've never had any health problems from training - due to the teaching method.

You should schedule a private lesson with me sometime and I can help you with different approaches to training in your current MA.

R. McLain

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Chen Taiji Quan
Xingyi Quan

I agree with this, for the most part.

Xingyi can get pretty rough though if it is traditional training also real Xingyi applications hit very hard.

But as far as the Tai Chi styles go, Chen is probably the most physically demanding if for no other reasons the low stances.

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Since you have done some hard and linear styles, I would suggest something quite the opposite, to see how you like it, for your body and for your thinking. Aikido or a Kung Fu system would be worth your while in my book.

I have taken Aikido for 3 years, and Kung Fu San Soo for 2 years, so how ironic that I would mention those. Of course, with the right teacher, those "circular" arts would be a great contrast and balance to those which you have studied.

Please advise on what you find!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

Tai Chi, IMO. Real, meaning Martial (authentic Yang or Chen style), Tai Chi will, IMO, take you to the next level as a martial artist. My late Tai Chi instructor's brother was one of the FIRST ITF 6th dans in the 1960's (at a time when even 4th dans were a very rare commodity). He told me that, by studying Tai Chi, his brother had extended his Martial Arts career by decades.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some sort of grappling would be my vote. Karate and TKD are both stand-up striking based arts. To round out your skill set, the biggest gap you would be likely to have is your grappling skills.

I'd go for Brazilian or Japanese jujutsu.

Latest Discussions