Who are the Japanese shihan?

Highland Ninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For those who haven't seen my other posts, I'm just getting back to training in Bujinkan after a long absence. Obviously a lot has changed over the years. I'm curious as to who the current Japanese shihan are at this point.

Yes, I remember the ones who split off (Manaka, Tanemura). But from the ones who are around now, I only remember Nagato (met him long ago). I know who Noguchi is (never met him though). The rest, I'm totally unfamiliar with. Is Ishizuka still around?

There are some people who I assume are shihan on some of the DVDs, but I can't figure out who is who. There's a bald guy, kinda thin, looks almost more Chinese than Japanese. Soke demonstrates on him a lot on some of the DVDs. And there's a really young looking Japanese guy who I always see wearing a bandanna, he's on the Koppojutsu DVD.

So I'm wondering if there is any sort of list of who the Japanese shihan are now, so that I can figure out who is who when watching the DVDs. I hate referring to people as "that bald guy" or "that guy with the bandanna". Makes it a lot more normal in conversation to be able to say "Did you see what [insert name] did here?" rather than "that guy who looks like this".

Also, I remember someone named Taro Yoshikawa who was, if I remember correctly, doing some sort of translating for Hayes back in the early 80's and was at one of the Shadows of Iga Ninja Festivals. The story I got from Steve was that Taro was an excellent technician, and Soke wanted him there teaching so that we could see textbook form in motion. I don't recall ever hearing anything about him ever since.

Yeah, it's been awhile!

benkyoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
But from the ones who are around now, I only remember Nagato (met him long ago). I know who Noguchi is (never met him though). The rest, I'm totally unfamiliar with. Is Ishizuka still around?

Yes, he is.

There are some people who I assume are shihan on some of the DVDs, but I can't figure out who is who. There's a bald guy, kinda thin, looks almost more Chinese than Japanese. Soke demonstrates on him a lot on some of the DVDs.

That is Yabanaka-san

And there's a really young looking Japanese guy who I always see wearing a bandanna, he's on the Koppojutsu DVD.

That is Yoshida-san.

OP
Highland Ninja

Highland Ninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Benkyoka. So both of them are shihan?

Which one is Ishizuka? Does he appear in any of the DVDs? I don't see anyone who looks anything like him. Of course, after all these years nobody looks the same, but I'm surprised I haven't spotted him yet.

benkyoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which one is Ishizuka? Does he appear in any of the DVDs? I don't see anyone who looks anything like him. Of course, after all these years nobody looks the same, but I'm surprised I haven't spotted him yet.

If you have the DVD of the 1992 Daikomyosai, you will see a lot of him. Also, you can see him briefly training on the 2006 Daikomyosai DVD. He did demo a technique on the last day of the Daikomyosai but that part was edited out of the final cut of the DVD.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Best question ever asked on an internet forum...

"What's the difference between Hatsumi sensei and Noguchi sensei?"

:ultracool

OP
Highland Ninja

Highland Ninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Benyoka wrote:

If you have the DVD of the 1992 Daikomyosai, you will see a lot of him. Also, you can see him briefly training on the 2006 Daikomyosai DVD.

Ah! I only have the 2001 Daikomyosai and the Bujinkan Koppojustu DVDs so far, so no wonder I didn't see him. Good to hear he's still around!

I could swear I read on a review somewhere that one of the DVDs feature most (or perhaps all) of the current Japanese shihan demonstrating techniques, but I can't figure out which one it was. Can anyone tell me which one that was? I think it might have been one of the late 90's Tai Kai's maybe?