Phrase at beginning of class

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At the beginning of each class when we are bowing we say a phrase in Japanese. Can anybody tell me what this is? I have asked several people at my class to but keep forgetting it.

benkyoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
chicken, hot mustard, diet coke in a bowl. Just say that and you will be fine.....

OP
R

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Haha. That actually sounds pretty close.

Would like to know the actual phrasing though. Also, if anybody knows the translation too. Actually never even thought of asking what it means.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Would like to know the actual phrasing though. Also, if anybody knows the translation too. Actually never even thought of asking what it means.
Why not ask your instructor? If he taught you to say it, he should be able to explain it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You are saying, "I'm a little tea pot short and stout..." Just kidding... maybe
Sean

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
"shikin haramitsu daikomyo"

Not exlusive to the Bujinkan, apparently.

http://www.aetw.org/shiken_haramitsu_daikomyo.htm

Here's another one, with multiple possible meanings:
http://kihon.com/oj/backstory/0929021148.html

also mentioned here, in Ura/Omote publication:
http://www.oniko.de/archiv/uraomote/1995/95april.html

ce: Before the beginning of each training session, we say 'Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo', which literally means: "Every encounter is sacred, and could present the one potential key to the perfection of the great universal enlightenment we seek." How does one recognize that moment which is the one potential key to our enlightenment?

Stephen H.: I think the secret of "Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo" is that every moment is that moment. Every moment could be that moment. It's up to us to take advantage of that moment. It's up to us to determine the quality or the influence or the effect of what we experience in that moment. And it's up to us to make it positive or negative. What is, is. I'm surrounded by these people, I'm here at this moment and I can choose to be touched by it or I can choose to be damaged by it. I can choose to be ignorant of it. So that's the key; it's a reminder for us to be ever mindful, to be ever aware that each one of these moments that make up our life could be that special moment. It's like putting together one of these jigsaw puzzles. If you are so intent on the puzzle you may not even know that you put the last piece in. And which is the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle, anyway? Is it this one, or is it that one? It just depends on the order in which they are placed.

Just Google it, there's tons of reading material.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The miracle of the Internet. The magical sparkly place where your opinion somehow matters more than the next pitifully anonymous poster.

OP
R

runnerninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Also, when bowing to the instructor at the beginning of class we say a phrase. He explained it to me but I forget it(must start taking notes). He said that it can have several different meanings depending on the situation but in this case it means "Teach me" or something to that effect. At the end of class we also say something that means "Thank you".

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, when bowing to the instructor at the beginning of class we say a phrase. He explained it to me but I forget it(must start taking notes). He said that it can have several different meanings depending on the situation but in this case it means "Teach me" or something to that effect. At the end of class we also say something that means "Thank you".

Probably Onegashimasu (more like "Please Assist Me") & DomoArigatoGozaimashita

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The miracle of the Internet. The magical sparkly place where your opinion somehow matters more than the next pitifully anonymous poster.

That's a strawman you're holding up, but I'll address it if you like.

Hayes is a public figure. His identity is obvious.

My real name and location are listed in my profile.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a strawman you're holding up, but I'll address it if you like.

Hayes is a public figure. His identity is obvious.

My real name and location are listed in my profile.

That's nice.

Interesting bit is.....

I DON'T CARE.

No offense intended, of course.... :D

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well there are also the phrases said before "chicken, hot mustard . . ." :wink:
but they are usually whispered faintly and quickly and very hard to hear.
If you listen closely, you'll hear something that starts with "chihayaburu" and ends with "ran."

If this is too off-topic, I'll discuss it in PM.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OMMMMMMMM hehe i want to learn the new chant alnog with playing the record backwards lol

Latest Discussions