White Belt with Yellow Tag.

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I went to the Dojang last night, I hadn't been for two weeks because of work. My instructor said to me that they did grading last week and if I wanted I could grade for my yellow tag. Which I got. I was completely surprised because I didn't think I would be good enough yet.

But I always think this about anything I achieve, exams, memberships of academic organisations etc... I guess I'm a bit mental like this I'm somehow undeserving. I think I need to shake off this attitude because it's not good really. Anyway I digress, I now have my first grading completed. Only nine more until black belt.....

edited_1475526842488.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done, you may be looking forward to your black but you know, the very first belt you earn is actually quite precious. It's satisfying yet makes you want to earn more, it's rewarding because it actually may be the most difficult one of all.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well done, you may be looking forward to your black but you know, the very first belt you earn is actually quite precious. It's satisfying yet makes you want to earn more, it's rewarding because it actually may be the most difficult one of all.

I'm just taking it one step at a time. I'm looking at years for a black belt so I'm not really thinking about it to be honest. Yellow belt next. Hopefully by six months. :)

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's my finding that the first belt is the hardest belt. Sure, black belt can be incredibly difficult in some aspects! However, your first test requires that you maintain attendance, an open mind, learning of basics, and the courage to be willingly come and be corrected in an unfamiliar environment. If you consider learning all of the stances, strikes, maneuvers, etc that a relatively new student, then you can see that there is a lot to learn! Later tests build off of the fundamentals that you learn at that first belt and, although it is more difficult, learning to learn the fundamentals is arguably more difficult. Congratulations for beginning your journey! :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to the Dojang last night, I hadn't been for two weeks because of work. My instructor said to me that they did grading last week and if I wanted I could grade for my yellow tag. Which I got. I was completely surprised because I didn't think I would be good enough yet.

But I always think this about anything I achieve, exams, memberships of academic organisations etc... I guess I'm a bit mental like this I'm somehow undeserving. I think I need to shake off this attitude because it's not good really. Anyway I digress, I now have my first grading completed. Only nine more until black belt.....

View attachment 20158
Congratulations!

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats. Something I was told when I got my first belt was that now no matter what happens if You decide to quit right now you'll still always have that belt and you'll always have that achievement and no one can ever take that from you.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was really nervous before my first grading...more so than
at later ones

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It just so amazed at how everyone encourages each other. Both there and on here actually. Everyone is so nice.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congratz......

I actually learned more about myself from my under rank exams than my black belt exam....

Keep going.....the journey is worth the effort....

Latest Discussions