White Belt to Yellow Stripe Test

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
For a white belt, pretty good. But he really needs to work on his down blocks and his kicks. I really like his punches. i'd say he is on track to do well.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I did enjoy that, yes. :)

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
For a white belt, pretty good. But he really needs to work on his down blocks and his kicks. I really like his punches. i'd say he is on track to do well.
Thank you for the feedback!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the highlights of one of my student's white belt to yellow stripe test. Hope you enjoy!

He's a bit ambitious in his sparring (going for techniques he doesn't seem to have the skill to pull off) - that's a problem now, but will probably serve him well in the long term, so not really a problem, at all. In his forms, he's stepping like...well, like someone who is just getting his yellow stripe.

A pretty good performance. If he sticks with it, he's likely to do well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What style are you doing, I recognise the hyung as one we do in TSD though the stances he is doing are a bit different.
No pressure on him then with grading and being videoed :D He did well though. I always think that although the first grading is the easiest technically of all of them, it's the hardest one to actually do.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He's a bit ambitious in his sparring (going for techniques he doesn't seem to have the skill to pull off) - that's a problem now, but will probably serve him well in the long term, so not really a problem, at all. In his forms, he's stepping like...well, like someone who is just getting his yellow stripe.

A pretty good performance. If he sticks with it, he's likely to do well.

If I described the perfect student that would join my dojo, it would be the guy "going for techniques he doesn't seem to have the skill to pull off".

Oh, God, hear my prayer.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I described the perfect student that would join my dojo, it would be the guy "going for techniques he doesn't seem to have the skill to pull off".

Trying things you're no good at is one of the best uses of sparring time. Sure, it's important to practice the skills you're comfortable with, too, but if you don't try the things you suck at, you'll probably not get less sucky at them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the fact he was sparring a much higher grade as well, gives the lower grade a chance to show what they can do with the more experienced chap able to 'fend off' any wild movements there may be. When inexperienced students spar it can be chaotic or even downright dangerous which is fine in class :D but when you want to see what they can do or attempt in a grading always good to have a senior grade there to bounce off. I wish everyone would do that, I've seen some quite ridiculous sparring in gradings.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What style are you doing, I recognise the hyung as one we do in TSD though the stances he is doing are a bit different.
No pressure on him then with grading and being videoed :D He did well though. I always think that although the first grading is the easiest technically of all of them, it's the hardest one to actually do.
Yup. I used to practice TSD, currently doing TKD. And both use that same form.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here are the highlights of one of my student's white belt to yellow stripe test. Hope you enjoy!

Out of curiosity, what is a yellow stripe in your style? Is it like a logical halfway point between white belt and yellow belt, or orange belt if you don't have yellow?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
During his form, I could hear the crispness of his uniform when he blocked and punched.

The one thing that stood out to me is his punches during his form tend to be straight out from the shoulder instead of to the center. Meaning if he punches a person like that, he would punch them in the shoulder, as opposed to a center punch which would aim for the solar plexus, sternum, or throat.

He seemed to have a lot of confidence in sparring, and a good feel for rhythm. I liked in the second round how he took several kicks, and then developed a strategy to deal with them, and handled them better as the round went on.

I'm curious, what are the rules for your sparring?

Seems like he's well on his way.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. I used to practice TSD, currently doing TKD. And both use that same form.

It's derived from Shotokan kata's, we do similar in Wado Ryu but both Shotokan and Wado have more movements in them.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score

American Tae Kwon Do, the form is a basic form we call Sunsu 순수, it means "innocence."

I like the fact he was sparring a much higher grade as well, gives the lower grade a chance to show what they can do with the more experienced chap able to 'fend off' any wild movements there may be. When inexperienced students spar it can be chaotic or even downright dangerous which is fine in class :D but when you want to see what they can do or attempt in a grading always good to have a senior grade there to bounce off. I wish everyone would do that, I've seen some quite ridiculous sparring in gradings.

He sparred my two highest ranking students which are a green belt and a blue stripe

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what is a yellow stripe in your style? Is it like a logical halfway point between white belt and yellow belt, or orange belt if you don't have yellow?
It's just the belt we use for 9th Gup/Kyu it usually takes my students anywhere from 1-5 months to be ready to test for it.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
During his form, I could hear the crispness of his uniform when he blocked and punched.

The one thing that stood out to me is his punches during his form tend to be straight out from the shoulder instead of to the center. Meaning if he punches a person like that, he would punch them in the shoulder, as opposed to a center punch which would aim for the solar plexus, sternum, or throat.

He seemed to have a lot of confidence in sparring, and a good feel for rhythm. I liked in the second round how he took several kicks, and then developed a strategy to deal with them, and handled them better as the round went on.

I'm curious, what are the rules for your sparring?

Seems like he's well on his way.

The sparring rules for beginners are pretty simple. No strikes to thighs or below knees, no strikes to spine, no elbows and knees, catching is allowed if followed by a technique.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The sparring rules for beginners are pretty simple. No strikes to thighs or below knees, no strikes to spine, no elbows and knees, catching is allowed if followed by a technique.

Striking only? (aside from catching).
Amount of power?
Victory condition (or just practice)?

Latest Discussions