• I do JKD concepts

• I'm not really sure, but its groovy!

Results are only viewable after voting.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do the kind of JKD that's NOT JKD!

i.e. I trained Wing Chun for decades, ...and "Escrima Concepts", then trained for a while with some MMA guys that also taught non-sport combatives, incorporating the same lineage of Escrima (both empty hand and weapons) and stuff taken from their MMA repertoire (boxing, muay thai, grappling). And they even brought in some useful concepts from Wing Chun (the head instructor did some WC with me when he was a youngster back in the 80s).

So one day in private, I asked the head instructor of that group how he would describe what he taught. He said, "Don't quote me on this, because I don't want to sound like I'm taking advantage of the name, but in my opinion what we do is ... well, it's a little like JKD ...or at least what JKD is supposed to be".

Fair enough? I don't think he was exploiting the name. Not at all. Just giving credit where credit is due ...to the tremendous impact that the ideas and concepts promoted by Bruce Lee some 50 years ago have had on the martial arts of today.

Now, I'm just working with my own group again, but looking at my interpretation WC and Escrima, I can definitely relate to my martial arts "cousins" who practice JKD!

Trapboxer

White Belt
Reaction score
Definitely very similar especially with the wc and escrima influence

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Trapboxer

White Belt
Reaction score
For Jeet Kune Do, I've trained in both camps of "concepts" and "original'. I was first introduced to it through the Inosanto lineage and I am currently learning from the Poteet lineage. I appreciate the modern approach, but I have a greater reverence to the original camp. Of course it all depends on your instructor.
Kind of the path I'm on

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've dabbled in Jeet over the years. One of my instructors, Joe Maffei, trained under Paul Vunak, my other Instructor, Bobby Giordano, is a student of Richard Bustillo.

The only name I've ever heard either of them use, was "Let's work out."

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
I started with Jun fan Gong Fu and Kali, then studied under a Chinatown JKD instructor, and a few Paul Vunak CJKD.
I have a collection of people that I follow and watch as well.
Like Bob Breen, Francis Fong Kevin Seaman, Octavio Quintero and of course the great Tim Tackett

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started with Jun fan Gong Fu and Kali, then studied under a Chinatown JKD instructor, and a few Paul Vunak CJKD.
I have a collection of people that I follow and watch as well.
Like Bob Breen, Francis Fong Kevin Seaman, Octavio Quintero and of course the great Tim Tackett

Which Chinatown JKD instructor did you get to train under?
I never got to train with Bob Breen. I do love a lot of the things I have seen him do in videos. The rest are great people to go an train with. Definitely worth the $$ if you can go train or seminars. Each have slight variations to what they do and teach. But a wealth of knowledge. Francis Fongs Wing Chun is amazing. Love it.