Which style of karate would you consider most “complete”

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
which style of karate would you consider most complete in regards to all around self defense and realistic application?

Machida Karate. Brewed in Brazil from Japanese Shotokan, and Brazilian JJ.. tested in the Professional fighting arenas and is very well rounded.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think that, in reality, you're always going to get diplomatic answers to this question - which is why you have to do your own research. Most martial arts that have both striking and grappling are going to be found outside of karate, but there are karate dojos that incorporate some rudimentary training in grappling arts.

vince1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with Rusty B. I have studied a variety of martial arts over the years (30 plus years) and find all arts to be beneficial. Find one that suits your current needs but you may find another one in the years to come that may interest you as well. I am by nature a curious person and sometimes like to participate in another martial art. Be open minded and do not limit yourself.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Its been a bit since i checked in on this thread and there are ALOT of comments now, so forgive me if this has been addressed already. I know its been addressed differences in schools and organizations throughout a style BUT have we addressed whether we should be considering major vs minor substyles of karate? as many minor substyles hybridize with other arts ?

Karate was originally meant to be an original MMA and as branches in styles were created the focused on thing s, and new minor substyles combine with other arts to "fill" the "gaps" they felt their karate had

Gyuki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would not go so far as to say I was deeply offended. Just caught me off guard. Knee jerk reaction I suppose.
Late to the party but nevertheless...

Master Ken's work is of great value to indeed be a comedic relief as well as exposing those fake martial arts teachers and frauds. It is important that the general population has an idea of what a martial arts conman look like or act. It has since then devolved into even more comedic content with various guests.

He is a serious martial artist and truly plays a role as Master Ken. I would invite you to watch the movie Paper Tiger where he plays a different role. You may not see him at first but when you will recognise him it will be simply uncanny. Great movie with various martial artists from many paths

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
There's a shop near me that carries the 20 year old stuff all the time, and can get the 40 if I ask for it. The 40 year old stuff is about $250 a bottle, so you might imagine I don't ask for it very often. The 20 year old is about $50.
I'm also partial to De Amore liqueurs. I think the lemon is my favorite, but the orange is also very good.
Ah..this is the Scottish side to you but liqueurs are for Girlie's.

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
which style of karate would you consider most complete in regards to all around self defense and realistic application?
Probably shotokan or goju ryu. I'll go with goju ryu as shotokan really is very sport oriented but it's direct.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Scotch - Yes, but if I'm drinking scotch, my preference is an Islay scotch with lots of peat and smoke.
Bourbon - Yes. Some nice local offerings, but I also enjoy Gentleman Jack. I don't care for Knob Creek.
Beer - Yes. I like most different beers, but like Bill, I am good for 1... maybe 1 1/2. I like stouts and porters, but I do not care for imperial stouts (too strong and astringent for me), and I'm very, very tired of the IPA "hoppier the better" fad. I do like a nice German lager. Also, a nice bock or doppelbock is an excellent beer to have with a good steak.
Wine - Yes, though I don't know a lot. I like a nice Cabernet with a meal, but that's about it. I tend to buy wines in the $10 per bottle range, and feel like anything more expensive than that is lost on me. :)
Gin - My wife likes gin, so we usually have some on hand. Her favorite is Hendricks, but we have a local distillery that makes great gin and also...
Aquavit - probably my favorite spirit.
Vodka - Not generally, though if I drink it I usually have Gray Goose, Tino's or a local vodka from Soft Tail made from apples.
Tequila - no.

Oh, regarding karate, no comment. :D

Latest Discussions