Which style of Karate is right for me?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most karate historians would agree that Chojun Miyagi created Tensho and he changed Sanchin to use a closed fist. Do you perform Sanchin close or open handed?

It sounds like you may have added some Goju-ryu into your Wado. Very interesting.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most karate historians would agree that Chojun Miyagi created Tensho and he changed Sanchin to use a closed fist. Do you perform Sanchin close or open handed?

It sounds like you may have added some Goju-ryu into your Wado. Very interesting.
Wado ryu is basically a Shotokan hybrid with a strong jujutsu flavour, so this is quite feasible.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

The connection to Goju is pretty obvious with Tensho, I am not quite sure how this fits together with the stronger chinese influence at higher levels as I am not there yet. Anyway we are independant from the big Wado oganizations and we do our own thing. Seems to me there are a lot of influences from other styles while the system is still very much structured and based on core principles. I took some Kali this summer and was very suprised to find that I had been doing most of the exact same movements for years in Karate, just without sticks.

You might want to check out the videos here, this school has many of the same ideas we use. There is also a Sanchin video there.
http://shikon.com/the-video-gallery.html

Last edited:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You might want to check out the videos here, this school has many of the same ideas we use. There is also a Sanchin video there.
http://shikon.com/the-video-gallery.html

This video looks like the later Sanchin used in Goju without the turns, although there are some slight alterations. The performer also seems to play the form softer than I have usually seen it run by Goju people. At the same time, the Samchien forms you see in southern Chinese systems is noticeably longer with open hands and more finger thrusts. If I had to guess, I would say these people took the Chojun Miyagi version without the turns and then altered it to do their own thing.

Thanks for the link.