Which style of karate would you consider most “complete”

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It will depend alot on the actual school and quality of the instructors
and many styles in theory are well rounded but they do have some core differences in strengths and weaknesses
Some aspect of some major sub styles of karate

Goju Ryu - focuses on blending hard and soft elements of fighting, trapping hands, hojo undo conditioning, and some weapons work
Kyokushin - is a hard strong style with a strong fighting spirit and good punches and kicks
Shito Ryu - has many informative katas and typical fast straight forward movements
Shorin Ryu - is the okinawan version of shaoling kung fu
Shotokan - has great basic techniques, and very solid stances
Wado Ryu - doesnt focus on hard sparing but rather body movement to avoid many attacks
Sure, go ahead and sidetrack the conversation by actually trying to seriously answer the original question. That’s how threads get ruined around here.

:) :) :) :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
my grandfather was a crown royal fan. the problem was it would turn that Native American blood in him mean. my grandmother said that was why they called it fire water.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really like Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. They stopped brewing it a while back.

Depending on my mood and if I had to really narrow it down, my favorite bottle would be a toss up between Cooperstown Brewery’s Benchwarmer Porter and Old Slugger Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada’s Porter of Pale Ale. Yeah, I’m mainly a Porter and Pale Ale fan. Don’t care much at all for IPA.

Anchor makes a great Porter too. And a local brewery - Brown’s in Troy, NY makes a great oatmeal stout. I’m not a fan of putting stuff other than malts and hops in beer, but oatmeal in stout is somewhat acceptable overall to me. I’m ok with a flavored beer for about a pint, but I can’t drink any more of it than that.

My father loves his single malt scotch. I can’t drink it.

That reminds me, I’ve got to get him a bottle for Christmas. Any recommendations for a $50-$70-ish bottle? He gives me a hard time when I spend more than that. No Glenfiddich or Macallen.
I really do like Porter's and Stout's. I it getting harder to find a Stout that hasn't been sullied with coffee, espresso, coco or I even seen one that said sweet & salty. Sacrilege.
Schlafly Irish Stout is good but hard to find. Lagunitas makes a good Porter which I have only seen out west. Has to be elsewhere though. I heard of a brain splitter called Oskar Blues Ten Fidy I want to try if I can find it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really do like Porter's and Stout's. I it getting harder to find a Stout that hasn't been sullied with coffee, espresso, coco or I even seen one that said sweet & salty. Sacrilege.
Schlafly Irish Stout is good but hard to find. Lagunitas makes a good Porter which I have only seen out west. Has to be elsewhere though. I heard of a brain splitter called Oskar Blues Ten Fidy I want to try if I can find it.
Great point about stouts being messed with. Just give it to me straight. For reference, I’m also a minimalist with condiments on my food. The only thing I’ll put on a steak is a little black pepper and grill marks :) I like to taste what I’m eating or drinking, not a bunch of stuff to mask it’s true flavor.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
I really like Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. They stopped brewing it a while back.

Depending on my mood and if I had to really narrow it down, my favorite bottle would be a toss up between Cooperstown Brewery’s Benchwarmer Porter and Old Slugger Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada’s Porter of Pale Ale. Yeah, I’m mainly a Porter and Pale Ale fan. Don’t care much at all for IPA.

Anchor makes a great Porter too. And a local brewery - Brown’s in Troy, NY makes a great oatmeal stout. I’m not a fan of putting stuff other than malts and hops in beer, but oatmeal in stout is somewhat acceptable overall to me. I’m ok with a flavored beer for about a pint, but I can’t drink any more of it than that.

That reminds me, I’ve got to get him a bottle for Christmas. Any recommendations for a $50-$70-ish bottle? He gives me a hard time when I spend more than that. No Glenfiddich or Macallen.
What exactly is a porter any ways? I have had some and it just seamed like another ale to me. Despite that I am an American, I prefer ales over lagers.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What exactly is a porter any ways? I have had some and it just seamed like another ale to me. Despite that I am an American, I prefer ales over lagers.
The only main difference many brewers still agree on is the kind of malt that should be used to brew each type of beer. Porters use malted barley and stouts are primarily made from unmalted roasted barley, which is where the coffee flavor most people associate with stout comes from.
From vinepair.com.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only main difference many brewers still agree on is the kind of malt that should be used to brew each type of beer. Porters use malted barley and stouts are primarily made from unmalted roasted barley, which is where the coffee flavor most people associate with stout comes from.
From vinepair.com.
The difference between stout and Porter is a pretty blurry line. Here what I look for in a Porter vs a stout...

Porters typically have a less creamy and thick head. They’re typically a little bit lighter in color. They’re typically not as creamy and/or full bodied. Perhaps a touch hoppier, but neither are hoppy on average. No where near a Pale Ale. The differences aren’t very big IMO.

I’ve had some stouts that I swore should’ve been porters and porters I thought should’ve been stouts. It’s all in the eye of the beholder, or the palate of the drinker. I’m not expert by any means.

The two styles I’ll consistently gravitate to are pale ale and porter. If I go into a brew pub that I’ve never been to, I’ll immediately ask for one of those. Stout will be 3rd.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
my grandfather was a crown royal fan. the problem was it would turn that Native American blood in him mean. my grandmother said that was why they called it fire water.
Crown Royal is one of the few liquors I can drink and enjoy. Maker’s Mark too. A glass of Crown Royal with some ice and just enough Pepsi to change the color makes a great drink in my book. I like Maker’s Mark straight with some ice.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it just offends somewhat. It is all good though. It does explain that the site is satirical on the about page. There too many people doing that crap and not trying to be funny.

Why on earth does it offend? It's so obviously OTT that it can be nothing but satire.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly I know of "instructors" who try to sell that crap. It is very funny though.

To be honest I haven't met any that are like that, some may be over enthusiastic but never to that extent but then there's not the same amount of money to be made in Europe as in the US.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Single-malt Scotch isn't just one thing. Even with the cheaper brands, there's a distinct taste difference among them. I've had really nice ones that were smooth and rich, and one (at $160 for the bottle) that tasted like latex exam gloves.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a slut with my stouts (as with my whisk(e)y) - I like almost all of them, pure or adulterated.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Single-malt Scotch isn't just one thing. Even with the cheaper brands, there's a distinct taste difference among them. I've had really nice ones that were smooth and rich, and one (at $160 for the bottle) that tasted like latex exam gloves.
I’ve tried a ton of them. I had several “scotch tastings” by distributors when I was bartending. I’ve tried whatever gift my father gets on holidays, and someone always gets him a bottle of single malt on his birthday and Christmas.

The only one I could stomach for a full glass (a shot on ice) is Damwhinnie. I’m a beer guy, so I completely understand that there should be something for everyone, you just have to look. But I’ve looked more that I probably should’ve.

I was in Atlantis, Bahamas with a basketball team one year. The head coach took us all out and bought a round of Macallen 25 year old. He paid quite a bit. I felt bad so I really tried. After about 4 sips, he laughed and asked what I really wanted. I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale :) He took the Macallen and finished it for, not wanting to waste good scotch and all.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried a ton of them. I had several “scotch tastings” by distributors when I was bartending. I’ve tried whatever gift my father gets on holidays, and someone always gets him a bottle of single malt on his birthday and Christmas.

The only one I could stomach for a full glass (a shot on ice) is Damwhinnie. I’m a beer guy, so I completely understand that there should be something for everyone, you just have to look. But I’ve looked more that I probably should’ve.

I was in Atlantis, Bahamas with a basketball team one year. The head coach took us all out and bought a round of Macallen 25 year old. He paid quite a bit. I felt bad so I really tried. After about 4 sips, he laughed and asked what I really wanted. I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale :) He took the Macallen and finished it for, not wanting to waste good scotch and all.
I suspect some of it comes down to how we actually taste things. There's plenty of evidence that what we actually taste is inconsistent between individuals. To me, there's a commonality in all whisk(e)y, and I tend to like nearly any of them to varying degrees. It could just be that you taste some component in Scotch that I do not. Do you like any whiskey?

Latest Discussions