The Roots of AK Techniques...

carmstrong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Times New Roman, Helvetica]I’ve heard Kenpo people mention that there is a small set of American Kenpo self-defense techniques that contain the foundation or the “DNA” (fundamental building blocks) of all the rest of the techniques. Different people have mentioned that there are 10, 12, 18, 24 (depending on who’s talking) of these “root” techniques from which all other techniques have been derived, but they never list them.

Does anyone have a list of such techniques to propose?

Thanks,

Chris
[/font]

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

it may be Master Key Techniques or Master Key Methods of Execution that you are looking for, if you run a search on this Forum it may be beneficial for your research. Lots of related info Family Groupings etc. come up as well.

Good Luck
Richi

OP
C

carmstrong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Richi,

Thanks. I wasn't familiar with the search function. I found this list from Dennis Conatser:

[font=&quot]THUNDERING HAMMERS + 32 "variations of"
FIVE SWORDS + 44
LONE KIMONO + 9
SHIELDING HAMMER + 17
REPEATING MACE + 8
LOCKED WING + 1
INTELLECTUAL DEPARTURE + 4
THRUSTING SALUTE + 2
PARTING WINGS + 24
HOOKING WINGS + 4

Is this the definitive list that everyone agrees to, or does anyone else have a different list of techniques?

Thanks,

Chris
[/font]

M

MisterMike

Seeing more variations (44) listed for Five Swords leads me to think this is going in the right direction.

With techniques listed with only 1 or 2 or 4 variations, I cannot see them as "Master Techniques" or head of a "Family" grouping. There I disagree.

I personally do not have a list to share.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Chris,

"definitive" in Kenpo man it's infinite...........only messin.
Dennis Conasters "list" helped me , don't look for anymore just now just look at what you have got, so quickly.
Respectfully
Richi

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey Sean,
You said

Lone Kimono is simply a variation of five swords so I don't think it should be of master key status.

Does this mean that that the Lone Kimono grouping should be absorbed into the Five Swords category?

I hope I have worded my inquiry properly.
Respectfully
Richi

OP
C

carmstrong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Sean,

How is Lone Kimono a variation of Five Swords? I don't see it. They look like two distinct patterns of motion with different weapons and targets. What's the common thread between them?

But, then again, I am only a green belt so I guess it's theoretically possible that I don't know everything there is to know about Kenpo yet. ;-)

Thanks,

Chris

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
carmstrong said:
Hi Sean,

How is Lone Kimono a variation of Five Swords? I don't see it. They look like two distinct patterns of motion with different weapons and targets. What's the common thread between them?

But, then again, I am only a green belt so I guess it's theoretically possible that I don't know everything there is to know about Kenpo yet. ;-)

Thanks,

Chris
Different targets but with similar motion to Five Swords, when you block the arm off and chop to the throat on the outside of the body, it's the same move as the block and handsword in FS to the inside.

DarK LorD

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
Hey Sean,
You said

Lone Kimono is simply a variation of five swords so I don't think it should be of master key status.

Does this mean that that the Lone Kimono grouping should be absorbed into the Five Swords category?

I hope I have worded my inquiry properly.
Respectfully
Richi
yes

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
carmstrong said:
Hi Sean,

Thanks,

Chris
what Clyde said :supcool:
Sean

Latest Discussions