Which Martial Arts should I pick up?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best answer from hard2hurt:

No.

If you want a result you have to choose a gym that produces results.

That can also be fun depending on what the environment is like. And you can compromise results for fun if you want.

Bit this advice is breaking the rules of success in anything.

Imagine if you wanted to save for a house. The first thing you give up is fun.

If you want to loose weight. You give up fun.

Be a good martial artist. You are going to have to sacrifice some fun. Sorry. There is no way around that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I know that. I want to learn martial arts mainly because of this reason, but not only because of it.

Go find a combat sport. I have a mate who boxes. He doesn't get in to street fights, doesn't put himself in danger, just wants to be good at boxing.

He fought a guy last weekend that intimidated him. He fought that guy and won.

And for him it was a moment where he realised his skills were now surpassing this perception of scary bad guyness.

Big intimidating guys were now able to be defeated.

Which is i think kind of what you are trying to get at.

Whitsunday Martial Arts

That first video on there with the guy in the red singlet.

Last edited:

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No.

If you want a result you have to choose a gym that produces results.
But yes.
He said: if you are professional or competitor go to place with proven record of achievements.
But if you are complete novice just go to place which give you fun. Because novice cannot see the difference between good school and bad school other than fun.

99% of people will quit martial art if they will not have fun.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But yes.
He said: if you are professional or competitor go to place with proven record of achievements.
But if you are complete novice just go to place which give you fun. Because novice cannot see the difference between good school and bad school other than fun.

99% of people will quit martial art if they will not have fun.

Which is a strange idea because I would go to a place with a proven record if I had no idea about martial arts because that would be one solid thing i could judge.

Rather than basically eyeballing it like I do now or fighting everyone.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which is a strange idea because I would go to a place with a proven record if I had no idea about martial arts because that would be one solid thing i could judge.

Rather than basically eyeballing it like I do now or fighting everyone.
well it depends what you want out of it, you have a cery specific idea of what you want and think everyone should want the same.

the fall out rate for ma, is considerable, .
the idea that you should put convieniance and enjoyment above fighting exspertese isnt outragiuous, if the consequence of a lack of enjoyment is you give it up all together,

it is to quote the cliche a journey if a few months down the line the school isnt meeting you needs, move on, if it is stay put

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
So I'm kind of new to the whole martial arts concept. I've been doing Taekwondo for the last couple of months but don't feel it as a "fit" for me. Can anyone recommend where there are these few things involved:
  • A lot of physical action (So no yoga XD)
  • Where there is a relatively high skill level
  • One where actual skill is required and you don't pay to earn belts (as I've seen a 3rd grader have the black belt first dan in taekwondo)
  • Where it isn't a cheap rip off of the real version (cough cough western taekwondo cough cough)
  • Where you don't use extra weapons (like nunchaku)
  • And where you can also train your body at the same time (I'm overweight XD)
Thanks a lot!
Capoeira. It will be harder if you're overweight, but you'll shed the fat very easily if you stay consistent.
On the flip side, if you want to use the fat as raw strength (you can) go for Judo, as your weight will give you an advantage. Most succesful Judokas are big and burly, and immensely strong.

OP
Razznik

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Capoeira. It will be harder if you're overweight, but you'll shed the fat very easily if you stay consistent.
On the flip side, if you want to use the fat as raw strength (you can) go for Judo, as your weight will give you an advantage. Most succesful Judokas are big and burly, and immensely strong.
Sadly there aren't any Capoeira schools in the area 'round me. :( I honestly don't want to do judo because I don't like the idea of jumping on top of other people and suppressing them only with my body weight. Thanks though!

Stablades86

White Belt
Reaction score
I have never paid for martial arts class and after 20+ years (self taught) I have been able to perform at the highest level in Capoeira and Taekwondo. I am currently studying and practicing Wing Chun. That is what I would recommend if you're either older or a bit overweight.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have never paid for martial arts class and after 20+ years (self taught) I have been able to perform at the highest level in Capoeira and Taekwondo. I am currently studying and practicing Wing Chun. That is what I would recommend if you're either older or a bit overweight.
Ok, I’ve tried to engage a discussion with you recently on your training and the need for good teachers. Your responses to my questions were minimal and you seem reluctant to discuss it.

I am an ex-capoeirista, I was obsessed with it for a number of years, enough to move halfway across the US in order to be able to train with a good instructor at a time when instructors in the US were few and far between. I eventually reached the level of graduated student which could be seen as something akin to a shodan equivalent as a comparison to other martial arts. At the time I was one of the senior students in our group and was one of the ones trusted to lead class when our teacher needed to be away. I’m nobody special in the world of capoeira, especially given that I eventually drifted away from it and haven’t trained in it for probably around 15 years now. But I’ve put in the work and I know what it takes. Further, I know the richness of movement found in the roda, that you will never figure out on your own. So I’ve got to take issue with your claim that you are at the highest level in capoeira, after 20 years of teaching yourself, without ever having a teacher, and (I presume) a group to train with (please correct me if I am misunderstanding something). Simply put, I think you have no idea what your claim even means. Ive got to ask: how are you evaluating your abilities, to make such a claim?

I encourage you to find a good teacher, in any system, and get some real training. You will be far better for it and it is absolutely worth the money. Don’t be self-delusional.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What would you consider the 'highest level'? I'm assuming for TKD that means that you're an Olympic athlete? Not sure what the capoeira equivalent is.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly there aren't any Capoeira schools in the area 'round me. :( I honestly don't want to do judo because I don't like the idea of jumping on top of other people and suppressing them only with my body weight. Thanks though!
There's a lot more to judo then jumping on top of other people and suppressing them with your body weight. If you want proof, find a sub 60 kg judoka black belt, and ask them for a spar. If they're any good you will be in for a very big awakening.

OP
Razznik

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There's a lot more to judo then jumping on top of other people and suppressing them with your body weight. If you want proof, find a sub 60 kg judoka black belt, and ask them for a spar. If they're any good you will be in for a very big awakening.
Yes, I agree. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT what I meant was that I was trying to looooooosssssssseeeee weight.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well it depends what you want out of it, you have a cery specific idea of what you want and think everyone should want the same.

the fall out rate for ma, is considerable, .
the idea that you should put convieniance and enjoyment above fighting exspertese isnt outragiuous, if the consequence of a lack of enjoyment is you give it up all together,

it is to quote the cliche a journey if a few months down the line the school isnt meeting you needs, move on, if it is stay put

Which would also be an argument for online training. If they enjoy it. It is working.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT what I meant was that I was trying to looooooosssssssseeeee weight.
I think grappling training can be exhausting if you are doing it right. If you want to lose weight and are looking for an exercise component to that approach, you could do worse than grappling.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Which would also be an argument for online training. If they enjoy it. It is working.
if they enjoy it they will more likely keep doing it, working rather depends on what criteria your using to say its" working "

i know what your criteria is, youve told me dozens of times, that will not be the same for everybody

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
if they enjoy it they will more likely keep doing it, working rather depends on what criteria your using to say its" working "

i know what your criteria is, youve told me dozens of times, that will not be the same for everybody

And yet you also say this.

"if thats dishonest is a suppose how up front you are in pointing out the limitation of what your doing. and if they actually know or care that there is a sizable disconect, if they just want a blackbelt tou will loose out tp those schools that promise to deliver in three years, if they want to be able fight, neither they nor you can deliver that, so what do they get from your that the belt factories arnt providing

im sure there are lots doing it and its all bogus, , im not sure that any of it counts as better than nothing, unless they have a real need for a horse stance"

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And yet you also say this.

"if thats dishonest is a suppose how up front you are in pointing out the limitation of what your doing. and if they actually know or care that there is a sizable disconect, if they just want a blackbelt tou will loose out tp those schools that promise to deliver in three years, if they want to be able fight, neither they nor you can deliver that, so what do they get from your that the belt factories arnt providing

im sure there are lots doing it and its all bogus, , im not sure that any of it counts as better than nothing, unless they have a real need for a horse stance"
yes its dishonest not to point out the limitations, that doesn't seem to run contrary to anything ive said in this thread

Stablades86

White Belt
Reaction score
What would you consider the 'highest level'? I'm assuming for TKD that means that you're an Olympic athlete? Not sure what the capoeira equivalent is.

Okay I may have exaggerated a bit. All I can say, I'm advanced enough to convince most people I've been doing it for 20 years.

Stablades86

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I’ve tried to engage a discussion with you recently on your training and the need for good teachers. Your responses to my questions were minimal and you seem reluctant to discuss it.

I am an ex-capoeirista, I was obsessed with it for a number of years, enough to move halfway across the US in order to be able to train with a good instructor at a time when instructors in the US were few and far between. I eventually reached the level of graduated student which could be seen as something akin to a shodan equivalent as a comparison to other martial arts. At the time I was one of the senior students in our group and was one of the ones trusted to lead class when our teacher needed to be away. I’m nobody special in the world of capoeira, especially given that I eventually drifted away from it and haven’t trained in it for probably around 15 years now. But I’ve put in the work and I know what it takes. Further, I know the richness of movement found in the roda, that you will never figure out on your own. So I’ve got to take issue with your claim that you are at the highest level in capoeira, after 20 years of teaching yourself, without ever having a teacher, and (I presume) a group to train with (please correct me if I am misunderstanding something). Simply put, I think you have no idea what your claim even means. Ive got to ask: how are you evaluating your abilities, to make such a claim?

I encourage you to find a good teacher, in any system, and get some real training. You will be far better for it and it is absolutely worth the money. Don’t be self-delusional.

I guess you're not understanding, I don't need a teacher at this point. Unless I took up Karate or JKD. But I am advanced enough to know my craft. I'm just looking for others with similar platforms to practice with and shoot short films. I've trained for over 20 years and most likely skilled several levels past a black belt. I don't want to waste money or anyone's time.

Latest Discussions