Which Martial Art to choose for these quite usual conditions (nowadays)?

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is a clip of my buddy Vali's school on Denman Island, Canada. Vali is an interesting person with loads of real world expertise. His students are always top notch. Great destination training for those looking for really good practicable training.

enjoy
Training at RootsDojo - YouTube

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. Every bit helps that school and community. I do really enjoy working with him and his students. Top notch

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is nothing to report yet and I'd like it to stay that way. But I'd like the feeling that I can defend myself, just in case :)

It would also be fun with the training. But you have no advice on which styles might suit these conditions more than others?

As already said, I don't think it makes a difference which style, as long as you learn it well and keep your sense of where you are. MA taught and learned correctly, no matter which one, should teach you balance and situation awareness. Then some practice in the areas you are in will hone your teaching.

If you learn your art well, and give some attention to how different geographical features affect your art, if at all, you should be all right. Remember, whatever affects you will affect any opponent you might face, but he won't have your advantages in training.

I agree. I think high kicks on uneven ground would be a bad idea, so something with mostly upper body techniques would serve the purpose.

I trained and was belted in Hapkido. We learn a few high kicks, but we believe mostly in mid to low kicks. Of course, we also believe in much grappling. We think Hapkido is a good and efficient art. Anyone who doesn't think that about the art they are studying should look for another art.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not anti-gun and I do enjoy target shooting, but it is my opinion that for the vast majority of people, carrying a firearm is simply irrelevant to their life circumstances. I understand there is a constitutional right, but in most cases I believe there is no need to exercise it.

The point at which having a weapon is relevant to your life circumstances is not of your choosing. If you're out and about and get mugged, and you're not carrying your weapon because it wasn't relevant before, well guess what? It's relevant now, and you don't have it.

Out in the woods, a decent firearm, a flashlight, a knife, or a big stick could all be good for self defense. If you're not comfortable with a firearm, the knife, flashlight, and stick all have other uses. Just be sure you know how to use them effectively.

As to what art you should train? Definitely not a combat sport. They'll only teach you how to fight in controlled conditions. Maybe look at an art rooted in combat and/or infiltration (I'm thinking ninjutsu or FMA).

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i do not have any such advice, because i do not believe it is relevant. Study something that you find interesting, and develop your skill. you could also practice in this wilderness environment so that you become accustomed and used to it. in doing so, you may become aware of aspects of your system that are difficult in that terrain or that are especially useful in that terrain. but that's part of the developmental process.
You see this is where I think you are missing out. You don't want a big school and that is fine, but let's say you did. You take a question like this and work it into your whole environmental & situational awareness program. :)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
also what you'll learn is how to interact with your environment - the trees, the animals, the way things things sound and move - any martial art practised in this environment will allow you to channel and focus so you can "see" these things :)

as for the shady people - all you have do come crunch time is total one of them and the rest will respect you and back off ;)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm quite new. I trained Krav Maga for a year but quite many winters have come and gone since then. I was hoping you could advice me.

If you spend a lot of time in the wilderness, in the woods, on cliffs, in open fields... That is to say on often uneven, sometimes semi-loose terrain, switching between open spaces and limited space (trees) and the fact that hard surface may or may not be found below... How would your thinking go with regards to chosing a martial arts style? Which would be among the most effective?

I want to train for the self-defence aspect and I want to be able to fight in this terrain to the point where I'm ready to chose a style that is believed to work well under these conditions.

I'm thinking grappling-heavy styles might be a problem due to the surface being so uncontrolled? But I may be wrong? Hopefully you get what I'm asking here :)

There are some styles that were developed by japanese fishermen who were on fishing boats all day and had to be able to fight on a boat that is constantly moving, rocking, and tilting. Such a style might suit you for your environment.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
There are some styles that were developed by japanese fishermen who were on fishing boats all day and had to be able to fight on a boat that is constantly moving, rocking, and tilting. Such a style might suit you for your environment.

I have never heard of this, what style are you talking about?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

That is not Japanese , it is one of theories of how the Wing Chun stance came to be.
Wing Chun is Chinese.

cqbspartan

White Belt
Reaction score
To answer your question, best way to approach it is to find someone who trains outdoors, preferably in woods...not easy to find...I am the only one I know of in fact that teaches that way...
some systems like Filipino systems were designed to fight in jungle environment with mud and tree roots...aside form your previous Krav Maga training, here are some more ideas...
Jeet Kune Do was Bruce Lee's creation and is a blend of sorts, with a foundation in Wing Chun but combines that with 25 other systems, and striving to train in a variety of drills and for a variety of attacks...
Western boxing and Muay Thai(brutally effective and tough conditioning) are a good place to start as well...so in considering an art I would say first try to determine which direction you would like to go as far as your training is concerned...Do you want mainly street defense, striking arts, throwing arts, ground work and so on??
Wing Chun, Filipino arts, some Indonesian Silat systems use fine motor skills...very effective and quick systems...