Which Martial Art to choose for these quite usual conditions (nowadays)?

Medo

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm quite new. I trained Krav Maga for a year but quite many winters have come and gone since then. I was hoping you could advice me.

If you spend a lot of time in the wilderness, in the woods, on cliffs, in open fields... That is to say on often uneven, sometimes semi-loose terrain, switching between open spaces and limited space (trees) and the fact that hard surface may or may not be found below... How would your thinking go with regards to chosing a martial arts style? Which would be among the most effective?

I want to train for the self-defence aspect and I want to be able to fight in this terrain to the point where I'm ready to chose a style that is believed to work well under these conditions.

I'm thinking grappling-heavy styles might be a problem due to the surface being so uncontrolled? But I may be wrong? Hopefully you get what I'm asking here :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
sounds to me like you spend a lot of time in the wilderness, either alone or with trusted friends and /or family. Who do you believe you might need to fight/defend yourself against? I think you do not need martial training for this environment.

if there is more info that is relevant to your situation. let us know.

OP
M

Medo

White Belt
Reaction score
sounds to me like you spend a lot of time in the wilderness, either alone or with trusted friends and /or family. Who do you believe you might need to fight/defend yourself against? I think you do not need martial training for this environment.

if there is more info that is relevant to your situation. let us know.

I'm not THAT far "into the wilderness". Let's just say there are shady people in the more inhabited areas not far from where I am :/

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's just say there are shady people in the more inhabited areas not far from where I am :/

seriously, if you know of this ahead of time you need to be having some discussions with the police, and then avoid the areas where you might run into them.

that being said, if you have a strong understanding of your methods, then any martial art ought to be useful in any terrain. You just need high quality instruction (which can be hard to find) and then you need to train hard enough to understand it well and develop high quality skills. That part is your responsibility.

OP
M

Medo

White Belt
Reaction score
seriously, if you know of this ahead of time you need to be having some discussions with the police, and then avoid the areas where you might run into them.

that being said, if you have a strong understanding of your methods, then any martial art ought to be useful in any terrain. You just need high quality instruction (which can be hard to find) and then you need to train hard enough to understand it well and develop high quality skills. That part is your responsibility.

There is nothing to report yet and I'd like it to stay that way. But I'd like the feeling that I can defend myself, just in case :)

It would also be fun with the training. But you have no advice on which styles might suit these conditions more than others?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is nothing to report yet and I'd like it to stay that way. But I'd like the feeling that I can defend myself, just in case :)

It would also be fun with the training. But you have no advice on which styles might suit these conditions more than others?

i do not have any such advice, because i do not believe it is relevant. Study something that you find interesting, and develop your skill. you could also practice in this wilderness environment so that you become accustomed and used to it. in doing so, you may become aware of aspects of your system that are difficult in that terrain or that are especially useful in that terrain. but that's part of the developmental process.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
spend a lot of time in the wilderness,...
I would find a good hiking stick (a solid metal pipe will be good). Put this on one end of it and learn how to use it. What style? I don't know. Stab, stab, and still stab.

spear_head.jpg

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
carrying a weapon could be escalating things before anything even happens. I still say if you have concerns, even if no reportable incident, then talk to the police. at least make sure they are aware of your concerns.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you are looking for some thing that could work on uneven ground outside I would investigate and find an instructor teaching outside. Many FMA, Silat, Bando, Budo Taijutsu instructors teach outside. That might be a good start in finding some thing applicable and that you are interested in. I would also as Flying Crane recommend train with a firearm and if you can carry legally in your state that would be a very viable option.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would also as Flying Crane recommend train with a firearm and if you can carry legally in your state that would be a very viable option.

That could be a viable option, but I just wanted to point out that I've edited my earlier comments. I realized that on an internet forum where we are all somewhat anonymous and I don't REALLY know to whom I am talking, I just wasn't comfortable recommending that someone carry a firearm. I'm not anti-gun and I do enjoy target shooting, but it is my opinion that for the vast majority of people, carrying a firearm is simply irrelevant to their life circumstances. I understand there is a constitutional right, but in most cases I believe there is no need to exercise it.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm quite new. I trained Krav Maga for a year but quite many winters have come and gone since then. I was hoping you could advice me.

If you spend a lot of time in the wilderness, in the woods, on cliffs, in open fields... That is to say on often uneven, sometimes semi-loose terrain, switching between open spaces and limited space (trees) and the fact that hard surface may or may not be found below... How would your thinking go with regards to chosing a martial arts style? Which would be among the most effective?

I want to train for the self-defence aspect and I want to be able to fight in this terrain to the point where I'm ready to chose a style that is believed to work well under these conditions.

I'm thinking grappling-heavy styles might be a problem due to the surface being so uncontrolled? But I may be wrong? Hopefully you get what I'm asking here :)

Krav should continue serve here in my opinion. Resume your initial training. As for questionable terrain I would use techniques that mostly keep both feet on the ground.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being from the country, I know all about heavy woodland and soft ground etc. I would think you be better of learning "Parkour" if you could and add that to the Krav. I would agree with Instructor in regards to Krav. However, the peeps above could do with some info about what is in you're area, even if it is remote, there are always options, even if it is the case of shoving in a disc on a optical drive.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the best way to know if what you are learning will work in the woods is to go into the woods and practice.
How dangerious is it to throw a high kick, do a hip throw, roll on the ground,etc. Can you take a fall in that environment with out being hurt?
It also depends on how spacious are these woods, are there low hanging limbs, thick or thin areas, rivers,streams, cliffs, sudden deep pits, all these things help or hinder what you can do in the woods SO can your training survive these things

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
the best way to know if what you are learning will work in the woods is to go into the woods and practice.
How dangerious is it to throw a high kick, do a hip throw, roll on the ground,etc. Can you take a fall in that environment with out being hurt?
It also depends on how spacious are these woods, are there low hanging limbs, thick or thin areas, rivers,streams, cliffs, sudden deep pits, all these things help or hinder what you can do in the woods SO can your training survive these things

I agree. I think high kicks on uneven ground would be a bad idea, so something with mostly upper body techniques would serve the purpose.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
carrying a weapon could be escalating things before anything even happens. I still say if you have concerns, even if no reportable incident, then talk to the police. at least make sure they are aware of your concerns.
But if he were to carry a shillelagh, or just a hard walking stick, no escalation. Just using it to help walk on the uneven ground.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Learning stick techniques (Japanese hanbo, for example, or simply middle size sticks from various systems) would be useful; as noted, you can carry a stick without seeming to be carrying a weapon.

Any style can be used in a variety of conditions -- IF you practice it to be used that way. Some styles certainly are more reflective of fighting in the surface conditions where they were developed, but that doesn't mean that they can't be used in other settings.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But if he were to carry a shillelagh, or just a hard walking stick, no escalation. Just using it to help walk on the uneven ground.

sure, true enough for something like that. but an obvious weapon like a firearm or a knife turned into an improvised spear, that sends an automatic message that has not yet been shown to be needed.

OP
M

Medo

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your opinions. They've been very valuable and many good things have been said. I'd like to especially give thanks for recommending FMA/Eskrima. I looked it up and it seems to have exactly the kind of historical roots (fighting and training a lot in rural areas) and the versatility that I'm looking for. Good stuff!:boing1:
:duel:

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Medo,
Congratulations on seeing the possible dangers, many people wander their surroundings totally unaware. Forewarned is forearmed. The absolute best defense is awareness and simply using maneuver to totally avoid the danger. Avoidance is not always a possibility so it is good to be prepared as well as aware.
Seeking the best martial art for a given circumstance is a natural instinct, but, depending on what martial art is available to learn in your area, or how much travel time and work you are willing to put in to learn the martial art are other pieces of the question and answer of the search. For instance you might come up with XYZ martial art and decide that it is best for the foreseen circumstances, yet there might not be an instructor willing to train you located within a thousand mile radius.
As with all martial art training find an instructor and group of students that you enjoy being around and that has a teaching style that complements you learning style. Find an art that you enjoy training. After all, what is the sense of hating hours and hours of training year after year in order to deal with a possibility that might not ever appear?
In your circumstance I might seek an art that works with weapons especially improvised, bladed, stick, and firearms. The idea being the kind of weapons you might use as well as the kind of weapons that might be used against you. Being outdoors, the outdoors can either be an obstacle or an opportunity depending on the mindset that you develop.
If you usually have someone with you, seek an art that also teaches how to work with a knowledgeable as well as handicapped partner.
Seek an art that deals with multiple opponents, as they also teach awareness by necessity.
Do you like dogs? A Great Pyrenees is a wonderful breed, smart and commands respect wherever they go and are born guard dogs.
As stated up thread, many instructors and clubs train outdoors. It is fun, entertaining and healthy practice. I really enjoy working outdoors. Below are a few clips of Systema training outdoors. There are many more as many Systema clubs enjoy the outdoors and the perspective that training outdoors awakens.
http://youtu.be/5ALxIL8YTbw
Disarmed by a tree
http://youtu.be/WdAdvDOboEc
outdoor seminar (German)
http://youtu.be/NzmuneuhnXE
Rolling outdoors
http://youtu.be/8u97bVQKQjU
Immersion Camp

Regards
Brian King