Which Martial Art System is best suited for the streets?

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello fellow Martial Artist,

Which Martial Art System do you think is best suited for the streets?

No weapons involved.

Please list just one.

Thank You for you participation.

M

Mark Weiser

American Kenpo Karate --- :ultracool SGM Parker System

AndrewAu

White Belt
Reaction score
American Kenpo Karate,as it is the most realistic art for the streets!

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
How can you ask what is best for the streets and then stipulate no weapons involved? In every real confrontation you have the possibility for weapons, multiple opponents and a whole lot of other complications.

Any system that is for combat has to address these issues and many others. Systema is one of these, but by no means the only one.

Paul Genge
Russian Martial Arts Northwest (UK)

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
of course everyone is going to state that their art is the best for the streets so I'll put my tuppence worth in too.
Ninjutsu of course!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
Hello fellow Martial Artist,

Which Martial Art System do you think is best suited for the streets?

No weapons involved.

Please list just one.

Thank You for you participation.

Considering that there are many arts out there, the potential list can be endless. I think alot of it comes down to how said art is being trained.

As for my reply...I'll have to go with Kenpo! :ultracool

Mike

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is not the system but the person doing it. He/she must have the correct mindset to handle a street confrontation. Just my opinion & experience in the streets.

A

Aleem

Though I'm a beginner at martial arts I'd say that certain attributes would allow you to win a street confrontation, so long as your attributes are better than that of your opponent, and you have luck on your side and there is an opportunity for you to bring your attributes into play.

Certain attributes like striking-power, speed, vision, strength, calmness, reflexes etc. etc. can help you become that better fighter. All techniques that we all practice in our respective martial arts rely on these attributes to become reality - so in my opinion the practitioner who is fortunate enough to have his best attributes allowed to be used in a fight, would do very well. And arts that hone these attributes seem to me, to do very well. I don't know many techniques from my wingchun but practicing it a certain way has allowed me to improve my hand-eye-coordination and reflexes. Now its entirely possible for me to be able to beat a MuayThai guy but at this point the chances are that reflexes and hand-eye-coordination alone won't save me. The MuayThai guy's training will give him strength, speed, fierceness, the ability to take a lot of strikes and to give many so chances are he'll beat the crap out of me.

I just think its about which attributes are honed best AND used AND outweigh the opponents respective level and how his attributes match up.

That said ... the e-honda hoop-hooey always does the trick; its an art of its own.

Thanks,

Aleem

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to sound like confusious (sp) here, bet unless an individual has an equal and in depth knowledge of all arts, how could anyone answer the question? I would assume since everyone who practices MA's for self defense reasons feels they could use the knowledge they have or are learning to defend themselves, they will all choose the art they're practicing, or else why would they be practicing it?

K

kenpochad

I vote for ka cheenk it teaches you to kill a person with one strike

its call ka cheenk becouse thats the sound that the slide makes on my 45
ha ha
icon10.gif

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nike-jutsu

Through proper martial application of the rubber outsole, one's feet are protected from the concrete and asphalt while running away.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Common sense.

"the sparrow never lands where the lion roams"

But the barstool bushwhackin is a good one!

icon10.gif

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Best Suited? James Bond often wore a tuxedo and I believe he was trained in jiu-jitsu. Many of his fights were in evil mastermind headquarter complexes, does that count as "the street"?

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it was Funakoshi Sensei who said it best. " To win a fight without fighting is the best self-defense." May not be the quote word for word but I agree with him.

In the spirit of Bushido!

Rob

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No weapons? Doesn't sound like the street. What separates this from a UFC match, then--surprise? Eye gouges?

Since two or more opponents is tough to handle in any event, I'd say Muay Thai, Vale Tudo, or something like that.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i think the quickest way for a martial artist to lose a streetfight is to throw their martial arts out the window as soon as the first punch is thrown. the good ones stick to their game plan, the bad ones end up fighting the way their opponent does, and loses in the process.

Latest Discussions