Martial Arts advice for a Novel

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why worry about a particular art for any of them? What I see happening all the time when somebody tries to get into specific about martial arts in stories and novels is either messy writing or confusion. Describe the movements, describe what they're doing, the character of the movements, rather than worry about labeling it as a Kempo Sun Fist or a mawashi geri. After all, unless you're writing for an audience of martial artists, they're not going to understand it anyway. And those that do will argue about it to know in no matter what you do.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. There are few who use it so obviously, and it used to be harder to find "in the wild". Just interesting to see strikers using it as a primary tool to such effect.

I could get you sparring guys who will quite simply mess you up using that method. It is quite simply infuriating.

That is exactly what holly holmes did to ronda rousey.

Or like one of our own guys mr Remi Vigor here.

And while I am on the subject, Is a much more conservative and safer way to street fight than launching forwards and engaging in a meat grinder.

Even though the meat grinder seems cooler or more streety.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could get you sparring guys who will quite simply mess you up using that method. It is quite simply infuriating.

That is exactly what holly holmes did to ronda rousey.

Or like one of our own guys mr Remi Vigor here.

And while I am on the subject, Is a much more conservative and safer way to street fight than launching forwards and engaging in a meat grinder.

Even though the meat grinder seems cooler or more streety.
It's the approach I end up using with strikers. Those who have point-sparred with the rules that don't penalize bare touches don't seem to understand what I'm doing. They think I'm not far enough away (because they don't seem to commit enough to find out I'm too far away). It's always been a "natural" thing for me, because it's how we work with attacks when we see we can't enter off-line.

Latest Discussions