Which Belt Gave You the Biggest Sense of Achievement (Except for Black Belt+)

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just out of interest, excluding black belt or anything after black belt, which belt did you feel the most achievement when you earned it? Did you get more of a buzz the higher belt you went up or was it your first ever belt? :)

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
my current rank (green belt)

got in a car wreck 2 months before my test. banged up left leg pretty bad, to the point where i couldnt kneel to put on my belt. couldnt workout at all for those 2 months

decided to test anyway. nearly gave up several times due to fatigue and pain. kept pushing and earned it.

im very stubborn

B

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just out of interest, excluding black belt or anything after black belt, which belt did you feel the most achievement when you earned it? Did you get more of a buzz the higher belt you went up or was it your first ever belt? :)

When I got my TKD brown belt as a kid. I was very limber with strong legs and I could do any kick in the book. This was before XMA otherwise I probably would have gotten involved in that. Needless to say I thought I was hot stuff. :)

OP
Grasshopper22

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
my current rank (green belt)

got in a car wreck 2 months before my test. banged up left leg pretty bad, to the point where i couldnt kneel to put on my belt. couldnt workout at all for those 2 months

decided to test anyway. nearly gave up several times due to fatigue and pain. kept pushing and earned it.

im very stubborn

B

Well done, never give up!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine was my Blue belt. This was our first rank beyond beginner level and I knew I had "made it".

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I first started, I was the only white belt. All of the other people in the class had been with the Sensei for years and were brown belts. So my first goal wasn't even black belt, it was brown belt. But, when I got my orange belt (our first rank) I think I was proudest because I knew that I could achieve the others if I practiced hard and set my mind to it. As a close second would be my brown belt.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

My red belt (3rd geup in our system). Six weeks to the day before the test, I had surgery to remove 18" of cancerous gut, as well as mets on the bladder and peritoneum. I was out of the hospital in a week, and returned to class two days after discharge. I wasn't exactly up to snuff, but I did the best I could despite the 10" incision in my belly. I believe that returning to training was a huge factor in the speed of my recovery.

As you might expect, my surgeon was a little nervous about my decision to start training again so soon after surgery, but he's known me long enough (professionally and personally) to trust me not to tear up his good work.

He also wasn't really happy that eight weeks after surgery I was on Curacao, carrying heavy SCUBA gear around. :)

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
All of my prmotions had a sense of achievement but I suppose the biggest one I had for a gup rank was the one for 1st gup (red belt with black stripe, the rank before black belt). I had put a lot of time into training to get ready for the test and did pretty well. When I went over the test results with my instructors they complimented me both on my test score as well as on several areas wich were the ones I specifically spent extra time training on.

Pax,

Chris

OP
Grasshopper22

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm glad you recovered, wow, quite a trooper. And a dedicated martial artist too.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My biggest achievement was earning my blue belt. I felt in that grading I had such intensity and focus. That was the best grading performance I put on for my blue belt grading.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My brown one, because it looks far cooler with my blue jeans than a black one :)
I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't put any store in belts. When I was young I was chuffed with every belt I got, all the way through black but now I prefer to judge and be judged on ability.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably my first test for yellow (with blue a close second!) My first test was at our school's annual outdoor test/bbq and I think my leg was shaking half the time!!!!!! Plus, our Grandmaster Instructor was there and I really wanted to prove to myself that I could do it!! Fortunately, it went great!!! 8 days before I tested for blue, I rolled my ankle, but tested anyway with my ankle taped up - there was NO way I was going to miss a test! (Too bad you didn't let us include black though!:) - That would have beat them all!)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I felt achieved when I got a Yellow Tip for My White Belt. Then I realised I was doing things no differently to when I was just a White Belt. Belts are just that. Belts. Im not going to get giddy because it changes color. Ill get giddy about My Own Progress, which on some occasions coincides with that.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Probably my green belt in judo. I already had a black belt in a Gendai jiu jitsu style, but the way I had learned breakfalls was different than the judo way. I had to re-test because of one breakfall that I couldn't break the habit of doing the jiu jitsu way. I was very happy when I finally got my green belt.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first belt in Kyokushin. I have been training since this past Aug. My inst. told me to begin preparing for the Dec '11 belt test. Took the long, exhausting test, but didn't find out whether or not I passed until a few days later. When I came in to class, he called me over and handed me my new belt. I was pretty shocked, as I was expecting an Orange belt, but was handed a Blue belt. I certainly didn't question his decision to allow me to skip a belt, but was honored that he felt I was worthy of it. :)

Kyokushin is certainly unlike any of the Kenpo that I've trained in for so long, so the adjustment phase was pretty intense, however, I was quite honored with the promotion. :)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Orange in Judo. My Taekwondo black belt outweighs that, but you said color belts

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
my brown belts, both tests were very demanding.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
My brown one, because it looks far cooler with my blue jeans than a black one :)
I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't put any store in belts. When I was young I was chuffed with every belt I got, all the way through black but now I prefer to judge and be judged on ability.

Always said by someone who already has their black belt. LOL

A belt is just an outward expression of your journey. So, to some people the belt represents a step up in their abilities.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my club (and many other Aikido schools), we just have the white belt we start off with and keep it wearing it until we get our black. Not talking about testing (as I didn't get a new belt color), but my favorite was the white belt that came with buying my first gi. I had wanted to do martial arts for so long and even after finally starting, it wasn't until 4 to 6 months in that I was able to buy my gi. Having that and the white belt made me feel like it was "real" and "I'm really doing this!!!!". At the same time, while I was learning to tie my white belt for the first time, I'd see the black belts on the other side of the room and remember thinking that I'm in the first steps of an awesome journey. (^_^)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Green belt. The thrill of it outweighed all the belts of the next forty years. I have no idea why that is, but the feeling has never changed. I use green belt as a certain benchmark. It's when I'll actually remember a student's name. I don't mean that to sound disrespectful or cold, it's just the way it is. If you make green belt and happen to quit, I'll remember your name even if I don't see you for a decade.

Latest Discussions