Where were you 6 years ago September 11th

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a simple question that doesnt push any kind of political adgenda.
Back in September 11th of 2001 I went to a computer class that got cancled,I first heard the attack on the radio. I was taking Mantis boxing back then the Sifu went on with class as usual but it seemed he wasnt convinced the news had the right information about who did it.
Now what happened to you back then?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was within 20 miles of ground zero, in a computer lab at a customer location. We emerged from the lab in to a war zone of fearful, crying people. The worst was a man that thought he lost his wife when the first tower was hit. He was trying to pick up his kids at a daycare near the WTC so he could hold them and tell them their mom might be lost. But, manhattan was sealed off...he couldn't get in.

One of my colleagues saw the attack, he was on the steps of our battery park office when the first tower was hit. Another lost her home and everything in it.

We stayed the night there...prepared to stay in one room if we had to. Fortunately, we didn't. The smell and the sight from the Amtrak train the next day was something I will never forget.

After returning safely to Boston around midday, my boss told me to go home. I did...and did what a lot of other folks did...turned on the TV and stared in shock.

My shock deepened when I heard that there was an arrest on the Amtrak train in Providence, RI. The person arrested wasn't a terrorist, or even a Muslim, he was a friend of mine...a young Sikh high tech entrepreneur profiled for his beard and turban. He was leaving Boston to help those suffering in his native Washington. All charges against him were dropped.

I lost touch with my boss, our company fell apart post 9-11. But I heard my profiled friend is now a motivational speaker that talks about resiliency, bouncing back from trouble, and courage.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was in class, Child development, and the teacher announced that whatever was going on outside her classroom was none of our concern, but that bad things where happening. Twenty mins later my mom called and got my out of school for the day, I was 15.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My mother called me from So. Cal. saying to turn the news on. I tripled up on the weaponry, bought supplies for 30 days and packed emergency backpacks.

I called my friend whose husband is a Delta pilot - neither of them knew anything at the time I called them. I picked my kids up early from school and asked for the school and district major emergency plan.

Then, we sat and watched what was happening on the other side of the continent from our safe living rooms on the west coast. I watched the second tower fall on TV and cried - the kids couldn't understand why.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was at work out here on the West Coast, someone saw me and asked if I had heard a plane hit the towers, I said no and really thought nothing much of it at the moment. I while later, someone told me that a second plane hit the second tower. About 15 minutes later I was being paged and locked up. I work for a major communications company and we went on high alert. I was locked up cause I was the person, onsite, with the most knowledge in computer systems. It was my job to keep them functioning so that communications could exist between the outside world and all the suits I was locked up with ... oh boy. We sat for hours watching closed circuit TV and various other network news broadcast. Some phone lines were kept open as others were in constant contact with various agencies throughout the contry. Same with the computer systems. It was pretty crazy at times, such as when the third plane hit, information was coming in faster than it could be read or than phones could be answered. I was finally taken off high alert sometime around 20:00 or so. Long, long day ... 04:00 - 20:00 ... and pretty scary at times. Yes, I know, the planes hadn't hit at 0400 on Westt Coast, that was my normal starting time in those days.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was nights on the Monday night so didn't get up till the afternoon. I went to the kitchen made a cup of tea, turned the tv on then phoned my instructor who was at work. We were going to visit another martial arts club that night.
I saw New York on the screen with smoke coming up but took little notice as I assumed it was a film then British reporters coming up so I turned the sound up and was appalled.I sat in my dressing gown watching stunned.

On the Garrison the alert state went up and we had more than usual armed guards everywhere, we searched cars and people. We checked everywhere a bomb could be hidden. We had to check hundreds of civilians who unfailingly expressed their horror and sympathy for the people lost and their families.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was sitting in the Darkhorse classroom of Delta Company, 1-145th Aviation Regiment during my pre-Battle Skills Course portion of US Army Flight School learning how to "Australian Fold" our maps. Rumors were coming in from the Staff Duty desk about a plane hitting the towers. Most of us figured it was a cessna or something and that it was the result of a pissed off tower worker...

Eventually we got the rest of the updates, enough so that we were sent home to catch the news. Since my house was the only one with cable among my friends, we congregated there and watched the news. None of us knew what was in store for us, but we knew that it would be something far different than we had known before.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At home getting ready to mow the lawn...Wife called me in and I saw the 2nd plane strike the Tower..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Getting my kids to school, after being told what happened waiting for another three months to find out that I lost my cousin after all and today is a day to remember those that there life was taken.

I hope that people will one day heal and remember those that have given so much for this country.

benj13bowlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was at Ft Sill in the middle of a 10 day Field Training Exercise, two weeks before graduation from Basic Training. The Drill Sergeants came in and told everyone we were going to be sent straight from basic to war. Then they pulled out everyone that might have had relatives in danger so they could go back to the rear and call their families. Fortunately everyone in my platoon’s families ended up being safe. We didn’t even believe our Drill Sergeants at first, not until people started getting back from calling their families. It took almost two years for most of us to get deployed and even then we were sent to Iraq, but the last couple weeks of basic were crazy once everyone realized they might have to actually use their training.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was driving to work when the first reports reached the radio - the DJs on the station I listen to replayed a couple of minutes of their initial report this morning. I have a cousin who lives in NYC - I called my uncle at work to see how she was; luckily, she was fine. That's the only day I recall that we had TVs on in the classrooms even when the kids were there - it was about 7:48 am here when the first plane hit, and the kids heard about it on the way to school, so it's not like they didn't already know about it.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was in my dorm room getting ready for class when a friend told me over IM that a plane crashed into the towers. Not realizing it was not just a single engine type plane, I didn't comprehend the significance of it until later wen I saw it on the news. I have been told that if you went to the top of the parking deck on campus, you could see the smoke rising from the towers (I went to school in Newark, NJ)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was one of my days off... I woke up, and turned on the tv in time to catch the aftermath of the first hit. When the second plane hit, I knew it wasn't an accident... After the Pentagon got hit, I was waiting for the phone to ring, and listening to my police radio, since I was able to monitor regional emergency commo at the Pentagon, as well as my home agency.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My one year old daughter was sick, so I stayed home from work that day. I was in the family room putting clothes on my daughter. I turned on the TV planning to go to a kids show for us to watch together. While channel surfing, I got to CNN channel and saw there were some breaking news going on. I realized a passenger plane had already hit the first tower and thought it was a really tragic accident.

While watching, I saw another plane hit the second tower. It was a really weird feeling knowing I was watching this on live broadcast and it actually was happening that very moment. This was definitely no freak accident. Two planes hitting two towers... then breaking news about other planes.

I stayed glued to the TV all day... The hardest part of watching was not just the shock of this all happening, but seeing trapped people who were so desperate jumping from the towers. There was a "close up" of some people prior to their jump, you could almost feel their resignation in making that choice.

My daughter couldn't understand why I cried. When I went to pick up my sons from school, they already knew about it and all of us felt somber all day. The boys asked some questions trying to comprehend why the adults at school (and home) were so shaken. They knew something really bad happened, but were having a difficult time trying to understand why people would do these things. At that time, we didn't know who would purposely do something like this. I had a very difficult time explaining as I didn't really want to understand either.

-- Ceicei

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was driving to work in So Cal, and initially thought that it was a joke as I tend to listen to a radio program that is not above tasteless humor. After a few minutes, realized with a "holy crap" feeling that it wasn't, then heard the reports of the second tower getting hit. Went in to work, hung out for a couple of hours, then went home and stayed glued to the TV for a long while.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back then, I had a shipping/receiving job. My wife worked at the same place. I remember my boss coming up to me, telling me that he just heard on the radio that a plane hit the WTC. Obviously all we had access to at the time was radio, so I called my Mom, who was home at the time to see if she had heard anything. She in fact, confirmed what my boss had told me.

Everyone was pretty much glued to the radio for the rest of the day. Nobody really knew what to expect, but it certainly was a very sad day.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was laying in bed with the Baby Momma, when her mother called. She said to her, "Happy Birthday! Turn on your television..."
Sean

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was just leaving to teach at UT-Arlington. At that time, I was adjunct faculty and directed the Self-defense for Women program in the kinesiology department. We cancelled classes that day.

R. McLain

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was on a week of leave, and my daughter was visiting from Northern California. Oddly enough, it was the very week I was scheduled to start my Kenpo lessons. My daughter woke me to watch the catastrophe on CNN, and minutes later I was being called back to work to help run our command center while awaiting our assignments. And yes, I did start Kenpo that week, so it is a bittersweet memory that will always be with me. God bless those who were lost and their families, and God bless America.

-Garry

Latest Discussions