Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Sinthetic.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chinese wrestling sounds awesome...to be honest I know very little about it. Is it like Brazilian Jiujitsu or Judo at all? Or Greco Roman Wrestling?
It's the integration of kick, punch, lock, throw, and some ground game. Here are some examples.

You can see a lot of kicks (similar to TKD kicks?) in both clips.

Last edited:
OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Taekwondo still gets people responding on the forums! It just depends on the post and how it is phrased. Kung Fu Wang has some good suggestions on posts.
I'm sure, I looked at how many posts each martial art has on this website, and Taekwondo has far and away the most posts

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Try clicking on the "Active Topics" link at the top of the page and you'll see which threads have current discussion going on.
cool, thanks for the info.
It's the integration of kick, punch, lock, throw, and some ground game. Here are some examples.

You can see a lot of kicks (similar to TKD kicks?) in both clips.

interesting how both videos had a group of people fighting each other. It looks seriously fierce!!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
cool, thanks for the info. I'm guessing that your martial art is Brazilian Jiujitsu?
At the moment, BJJ is my primary art, although I try to get in some Muay Thai, Judo, Wrestling, and Boxing as time permits. I also have some past experience with Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, Kali, and TKD and a smattering of other arts.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At the moment, BJJ is my primary art, although I try to get in some Muay Thai, Judo, Wrestling, and Boxing as time permits. I also have some past experience with Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, Kali, and TKD and a smattering of other arts.
fierce!! that is a great combo of martial arts!! my TKD school teaches a little bit of Brazilian Jiujitsu, basically how to escape from a submission grab and get back on your feet. If i was fighting in UFC and i had to choose one martial art, I'd probably go with Brazilian Jiujitsu

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welkl let me introduce me I am Manny from Mexico a third degree black belt in TKD, a truly enamored of clasic TKD, I am a person that WTF TKD has decafeinated the ART of TKD, nice pic of a flying kick you pots by the way.

What are the topics you want to talk about?

El Manny

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
nice to meet you Manny. that's awesome that you have a third degree black belt in TKD. After practicing TKD for a while I became passionate about martial arts. I posted all kinds of videos and wrote a lot about how TKD is underrated. I felt like it was underrated because I went to a lot of forums that said it is a sport martial art for whatever reasons. This website, however, seems to give TKD the credentials it deserves. My favorite thing to talk about is all things TKD. I also like talking about martial arts in general, though i have limited knowledge about them. Even with TKD i am no expert even though i've been practicing it for a while. Some of my favorite martial arts to talk about are MMA, BJJ, and Krav Maga. To be honest, on this website so far I have noticed a general lack of courtesy which turns me off. but i guess all forums are like that? i've seen some trash talking and that just isn't my thing. I like polite, courteous, respectful conversations about varying aspects of Martial Arts.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
First Geup in Moo Duk Kwan TKD (we're TSD though, I assume when my KJN left Korea he followed Kees steps towards unification, but not the other name changes, no idea for certain though) Up for 1st dan anytime

Got back into Boxing through starting kickboxing. My hands werent bad, but good boxing makes a huge difference in kickboxing.

Have a Background in Freestyle and submission wrestling.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
First Geup in Moo Duk Kwan TKD (we're TSD though, I assume when my KJN left Korea he followed Kees steps towards unification, but not the other name changes, no idea for certain though) Up for 1st dan anytime

Got back into Boxing through starting kickboxing. My hands werent bad, but good boxing makes a huge difference in kickboxing.

Have a Background in Freestyle and submission wrestling.
awesome, so you have all the bases covered... you could be a UFC fighter! :D

I've only just heard of TSD... well i guess is been a while now... but yeah i met a 2nd degree blackbelt TSD fighter in one of my online school courses actually... he said it is highly similar to TKD. i'm not sure if that's true or not... Regrettably my knowledge of TSD is not where it needs to be... isn't Chuck Norris a 9th degree black belt in TSD?

I actually i had a friend who used to be regional champion kick boxer. He made damn good money too doing it. he was kind of crazy too... in a violent sort of way, like at some point i realized he was beating his girlfriend. so yeah psycho and champion kick boxer make for a pretty scary combination!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only just heard of TSD... well i guess is been a while now... but yeah i met a 2nd degree blackbelt TSD fighter in one of my online school courses actually... he said it is highly similar to TKD. i'm not sure if that's true or not...

The search function will no doubt point you to a ton of threads covering this in detail. I know that I have covered the history in a fair bit of detail more than once.

Short version:
After the liberation of Korea from Japan at the end of WWII, various Kwan were formed, teaching various arts from various sources. Primarily Shotokan, but with others as well.
Tang Soo Do is the Korean pronunciation of the Hangul characters for "Karate-Do."
GM HWANG, Kee founded the Moo Duk Kwan and taught Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan.
An effort was begun to unify the various Kwan and develop a unified curriculum. This effort was interrupted by the Korean War.
After the war ended, the unification movement was reborn.
GM HWANG Kee joined the movement.
Tae Kwon Do was chosen as the name for the unified art, and the art became known as Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan.
GM HWANG Kee left the movement for political reasons and returned to teaching Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan.
GM HWANG obtained a copy of the Muye Dobo Tongji, a military manual purportedly written at the end of the 18th Century, and which includes a couple pages on unarmed combat.
GM HWANG incorporated his interpretation of these pages into his art and changed the name to Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan. Soo Bahk is the name of an historical Korean Martial Art, although nothing is really known about it beyond the name.

The history is something I've tried to study, because the school I teach at is Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan. Our Kwanjangnim was a direct student of GM HWANG prior to his departure from the unification movement, and a direct student of GM LEE, Kang-Ik who was chosen as GM HWANGS successor as Kwanjang of Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The search function will no doubt point you to a ton of threads covering this in detail. I know that I have covered the history in a fair bit of detail more than once.

Short version:
After the liberation of Korea from Japan at the end of WWII, various Kwan were formed, teaching various arts from various sources. Primarily Shotokan, but with others as well.
Tang Soo Do is the Korean pronunciation of the Hangul characters for "Karate-Do."
GM HWANG, Kee founded the Moo Duk Kwan and taught Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan.
An effort was begun to unify the various Kwan and develop a unified curriculum. This effort was interrupted by the Korean War.
After the war ended, the unification movement was reborn.
GM HWANG Kee joined the movement.
Tae Kwon Do was chosen as the name for the unified art, and the art became known as Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan.
GM HWANG Kee left the movement for political reasons and returned to teaching Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan.
GM HWANG obtained a copy of the Muye Dobo Tongji, a military manual purportedly written at the end of the 18th Century, and which includes a couple pages on unarmed combat.
GM HWANG incorporated his interpretation of these pages into his art and changed the name to Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan. Soo Bahk is the name of an historical Korean Martial Art, although nothing is really known about it beyond the name.

The history is something I've tried to study, because the school I teach at is Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan. Our Kwanjangnim was a direct student of GM HWANG prior to his departure from the unification movement, and a direct student of GM LEE, Kang-Ik who was chosen as GM HWANGS successor as Kwanjang of Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan.[/QUOTE
cool! thanks for the info... its amazing the rich history all these martial arts have. my TKD Grandmaster actually trained two militaries in hand to hand combat

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
cool! thanks for the info... its amazing the rich history all these martial arts have. my TKD Grandmaster actually trained two militaries in hand to hand combat

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Let's be realistic here...
A "military" would mean a group of thousands or hundreds of thousands. The US Army has a strength of something like 500,000 soldiers. That's not including the Air Force, the Navy, the Marines, the Coast Guard, etc etc etc.

Almost every highly ranked practitioner makes this claim, and it's true. Most of them have been instructors for their individual units.
But it's not like they were training the entire army. Just their units.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Let's be realistic here...
A "military" would mean a group of thousands or hundreds of thousands. The US Army has a strength of something like 500,000 soldiers. That's not including the Air Force, the Navy, the Marines, the Coast Guard, etc etc etc.

Almost every highly ranked practitioner makes this claim, and it's true. Most of them have been instructors for their individual units.
But it's not like they were training the entire army. Just their units.
good point, never thought about it. and i'm not sure which countries he trained units at. but he's a pretty tough dude. he's a good guy but he has a temper. He got pissed at me just yesterday actually because i wasn't catching on fast enough. personally i prefer more patient, laid back instructors cause i'm kinda dumb and am a slow learner, especially when it comes to the forms, so fortunately all the other Sa Bum Nims at my school are much more merciful than Grandmaster Chung.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
good point, never thought about it. and i'm not sure which countries he trained units at. but he's a pretty tough dude. he's a good guy but he has a temper. He got pissed at me just yesterday actually because i wasn't catching on fast enough. personally i prefer more patient, laid back instructors cause i'm kinda dumb and am a slow learner, especially when it comes to the forms, so fortunately all the other Sa Bum Nims at my school are much more merciful than Grandmaster Chung.

I don't think temper has any place in the dojang. One of the 5 tenets of TKD is self-control, after all.
Now, if I'm working with a student I've known for a fair while, and they're not learning at the pace I know they're capable of, I might get on them about practicing at home. But I wouldn't lose my temper. That's not helpful to anybody.

And just to pick a nit... Sabum (one word...) is a Korean title. It means "teacher", basically. Nim is an honorific, so that Sabumnim means, essentially "respected teacher". Sticking an "s" at the end does NOT make it plural, for the simple fact that it's not an English word. In Korean, there is often no pluralization of words. If one is needed, it's done by adding "deul" to the word. So Sabumdeul would be the plural of Sabum. Most would just say 'the other Sabumnim [...]." because the plural is inherent in both "all the other" and "are."

We all use words incorrectly, especially in foreign languages, but if nobody points out the correct usage, we never learn.
I certainly am not fluent in Korean, but I am learning, and I know (because it's happened...) that when I post something incorrect, others will let me know.

Latest Discussions