Taekwondo Anti-Bullying Videos

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ever since the ancient invention of iMovie and consumer-grade video cameras, there's been a venerable tradition of martial arts schools making their own short-films. :)

Version 1. The head of the school that my son and I attended wanted to make a short-film that's an anti-bullying video...but with a twist. In this version, instead of teaching taekwondo to the victim, you teach it to the bully, to teach them respect. It took about 6 evenings of 90-minute shoots, plus about 15 hours of video editing, but here's what we came up with:

Version 2. While we were in the middle of our shoot, Master Joe on Facebook posted his school's version to the RISE OF THE KWANS group on Facebook. Here's what his school came up with (YouTube version):

His is a much more traditional version: you teach taekwondo the victim so that in the future he can defend himself.

Here are some more like that one:

Version 3. Then there's this one that I just found on YouTube.

In this version, you teach taekwondo to the victim...but not just so that they can defend themselves, but so that they can gain the confidence to ignore the bullies.

--------

I'm curious to know what people think of these different versions of the story: I'm not talking about the videos, but the story. Are Version 1 and Version 3 too idealistic? Do you prefer the practicality of Version 2?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ever since the ancient invention of iMovie and consumer-grade video cameras, there's been a venerable tradition of martial arts schools making their own short-films. :)

Version 1. The head of the school that my son and I attended wanted to make a short-film that's an anti-bullying video...but with a twist. In this version, instead of teaching taekwondo to the victim, you teach it to the bully, to teach them respect. It took about 6 evenings of 90-minute shoots, plus about 15 hours of video editing, but here's what we came up with:

Version 2. While we were in the middle of our shoot, Master Joe on Facebook posted his school's version to the RISE OF THE KWANS group on Facebook. Here's what his school came up with (YouTube version):

Truejim, here's my humble opinion. Number 1 and 2 are way too, long. There's a reasons TV commercials (for which companies are willing to pay up to $4.5 million, a spot, on some occasions, are only 30-seconds long). You lose an audience very quickly when you develop anti-bullying videos (or most marketing/public service announcement video) for a dojang, which are more than two minutes long. Would you need 10 minutes to show good poomsae done by your dojang or use the same amount of time to show sparring, self defence, perfomance of basics or breaking?

OP
TrueJim

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Number 1 and 2 are way too, long...

I agree...especially in the middle, the Majest video drags. The Master Joe video is shorter, but personally I find that the music really pulls me down. I think the Adirondack video is a cool twist, and it's nice and short.

Latest Discussions