Where Do You Draw the Line at Profanity?

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Someone already mentioned context. That really is it.
It all depends on who I am with at the time. I find when I’m around certain rougher friends, the colourful language comes out. Around children, strangers and those who I know never use such language, it stays away. In the dojo it never comes out.

I couldn't agree more. I'm far from a prude and when I'm at work the "sentence enhancers" flow freely, but at home around my kids and in the dojang/dojo I clean my language up. I like to tell folks that I get all my swearing out at work so I'm nice and docile when I get home.

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
no swearing allowed in our dojang either. I may have let out "sucks" a time or two. The classes are all ages. We all behave and have never had a problem with foul mouths. Outside of the dojang I have heard Sabumnim curse but there were only adults present at the time.
I myself swear very little even after being in the military.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
No swearing is permitted at all. No one should be calling anyone any derogatory names whatsoever. However kids of today have there own way of talking and will call a situation or something gay or even say that a situation may suck. For example, one might say "I got a C on my test at school today", and someone else may respond by saying "Sorry to hear that, that must suck" or simply "that sucks".

We don't use *** at all. We will say cungdingy (spelling sorry) as the Korean term for butt. "Ow!!! he hit me in my cungdingy!!!"

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The use of profanity or inapropriate, degrading language is prohibited in the dojang. The same goes for talking down to anyone. The only thing that separates everyone at the dojang is time. Time alive and time in training.
There is only taekwondo training and discussion of it!

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I swear like a drunken sailor on my own time. But profanity is not allowed in my school, even from me. I screwed up and said "****!" in class last week and then stopped and said, "Oops - that was a bozo no-no", dropped and did 20 pushups (the entire class dropped and did them with me, even though I did not ask them to). When I finished, I stood up and said, "The rules apply to everyone, even me."

Good learning experience for all.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I swear like a drunken sailor on my own time. But profanity is not allowed in my school, even from me. I screwed up and said "****!" in class last week and then stopped and said, "Oops - that was a bozo no-no", dropped and did 20 pushups (the entire class dropped and did them with me, even though I did not ask them to). When I finished, I stood up and said, "The rules apply to everyone, even me."

Good learning experience for all.
Now that, Sir, is leading by example!

Daniel

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where I draw the line personally at profanity is something along the lines of Scarface or Good Fellas usage. Where it's in every other word in a sentence. I mean c'mon. To me profanity is to empathize something... albeit it's vulgar but it does put a sense of THIS is what I MEANT. Or use to convey total disdain at an idea or concept, i.e. someone suggesting that I'm trying to rip them off and my response is aww f-you (for being so ridiculous). In my former job I had to of course watch my language with prudence. In dealing with several hundred people daily on my tours I had to ensure that I would not let slip any words that may be deemed offensive, including racial, religious, ethnic or just downright vulgarity. The use of such language is always, ALWAYS a choice. None of this "heck man that's just the way I talk." B.S. I don't condone anyone under the age of 18 to use the language. I don't like it. It's literally to me an adult language and thereby should only be used by adults. Watching a movie where a kid spouts off expletives is a turn off for me. The shock value isn't there for me. It all depends upon who I'm with. If the person isn't offended then I'll still be selective on it's usage because as George Carlin once said: Language gives you away, how you use it and what you use helps determines your level of civility towards another person. Ironic words from one of America's most vulgar comics. Keeping a civil tongue to me is the hallmark of good upbringing, personality, civility. Changing one's language to where they do not speak vulgar words to me is somewhat hypocritical, my older brother who taught me a lot of my vulgar vocabulary now speaks in a non-vulgar language. "Oh my gosh!" "What the heck!" "I think that's just flipping stupid" and so forth. Replacing a vulgar word with a non-vulgar one is still to me being vulgar. The intent and connotation is just the same, just not as grating to one's ears no matter how sensitive or insensitive they may be.

Latest Discussions