Open Hand vs curled fingers

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For lack of better words, I am sure one of you can set me straight on the terminology.

What is the merit of a palm block performed with and open hand (formed like a knife hand, palm in the direction of the motion) vs the same move done with curled fingers Like in a palm strike.

One thing I noticed, it's easier, requires less stretching of the wrist.

A while back 'the Mothership' changed forms. the 'press blocks' were one of the changes, to the open hand form....

I am puzzled as to what would be a benefit from such a change (not to mention that moves are open to interpretation, a strike can be a block, a block a strike..)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For lack of better words, I am sure one of you can set me straight on the terminology.

What is the merit of a palm block performed with and open hand (formed like a knife hand, palm in the direction of the motion) vs the same move done with curled fingers Like in a palm strike.

A while back 'the Mothership' changed forms. the 'press blocks' were one of the changes, to the open hand form....

I am puzzled as to what would be a benefit from such a change (not to mention that moves are open to interpretation, a strike can be a block, a block a strike..)
Palm block is a parry, and when done, deflects. Palm strike, when done, causes damage. Curled fingers will allow you to tension the heel part of your hand, for the impact of the strike. "strike versus parry"..............
:asian:

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So changing a form from curled to open hand you do change the meaning...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So changing a form from curled to open hand you do change the meaning...

Absolutely. If you perform Chon-Ji open handed, it should immediately predispose you to thinking about more of the grabbing and pulling applications. In general, open hands = receive and adapt, closed fist or half-fists = striking or repelling.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Here is my thought. The block intercepts a moving object, If you curl the fingers you run the risk of the moving object contacting the curled fingers at any number of angles / directions which will damage the fingers.

With a strike, fingers curled, the object being struck if moving at all will typicaly be the target moving very slowly so it is much easier to control the contact surface. The curld fingers also stiffens the palm area by tensing the muscles.

Theculred fingers create what is sometimes referred to as a "Bear Hand" with a circular contact area useful to impact several areas on the side of the head simaltaneously.

And, oh yes I did make that up.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good stuff keep it coming!

The move - one of them is what was called a 'press block': slow move, coming from near the ear going down while the other hand came up, the free 'reaching' hand. at first it was a bear claw (hmmm bear claws...) then an open palm...

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Our school teaches the pressing block (like in Joong Gun) with open hands. Our school also teaches the pushing block (in Hwa Rang) with an open hand, but I find this to be a difficult position to hold my hands. Assuming I want to push with the lower part of my palm, I need to bend my wrist back, naturally causing my fingers to curl. I have the same problem with the twin palm block (in Choong Moo).

Rather than teach myself a position which would cause me to have loose curled fingers, which could be broken, as mentioned by Earl, I actually fold my fingers tightly down at the first couple of knuckles.

Rick

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good stuff keep it coming!

The move - one of them is what was called a 'press block': slow move, coming from near the ear going down while the other hand came up, the free 'reaching' hand. at first it was a bear claw (hmmm bear claws...) then an open palm...

Can you give us the name of the pattern and perhaps the move # where you encounter it?

IF you are a Chang Hun stylist:
Sounds like it's a Chang Hun "Pressing Block with the palm" which is accompanied by a palm upward block. (Vol III 1983 ed. Page 263) . It is performed with the hand flat / fingers straight, and first appears at pattern Joong - Gun #s 27 & 29.

IF you are not a Chang Hun stylist feel free to ignore all of the above:)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol, it's been a while since I did the form, I would have to dig up the manual, Hyongs...somewhere trickled down through the ATA tree...(I think it was the 2nd BB...once I find the original name - pre-change - I tell you.)

OK, found the post change paper.

Gwang-Gae, somewhere around move 20, like I said, they changed the form, took stuff out and all that jazz.

Latest Discussions