Where Do You Draw the Line at Profanity?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would you use or allow the use of these words in your dojang?

piss
sucks
gay (in the pejorative sense rather than just a description of sexuality)

I hear these words daily on the tv now in normal mainstream network programming and was wondering if they have entered polite society as acceptable words in our vocabulary.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

piss
sucks

I hear these words daily on the tv now in normal mainstream network programming and was wondering if they have entered polite society as acceptable words in our vocabulary.

We don't use ***, we use ****, though we will say someone is making an *** of himself but that refers to the animal.
Piss in usually used with 'poor' as in piss poor performance, a common army expression is poor preparation and planning makes piss poor performance.... 'the 6 Ps'

Female dog, not used often, usually cow is used if calling names.

'Sucks' has a sexual connotation here, doesn't mean what you mean it as.

Our TV and films have far worse words, the F and C word along with others is used on television a fair bit without anyone taking a lot of notice as long as it isn't on early so it tends to mean the words on OP don;t mean an awful as profanities.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

piss
sucks

In the US context they are a no-go.
And I am no prude, I know pretty much all the words not in the dictionary...but it is just not necessary, no matter what TV says (I am not watching a lot of TV anymore either...)

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess different schools foster different environments. I've been doing a little training while I'm at work (I work a long way from home) and the classes are 100% adult blue color men. The conversation can be pretty rough. When I'm home the tkd school I train at has such an environment that I don't believe I've ever let slip with a four letter word nor have I heard anyone else. It's all about context.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me personally, profanity is still used so very sparsely that if I swear then the words actually have the 'shock' value they are meant to have.

In the dojo tho', swearing is largely unthinkable. It is not an evironment where the profane word is to be encouraged.

About the only time I will use some of the weaker words is when 'role playing' a reaction whilst demonstrating some point of a kata.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a fair bit of swearing goes on in our training, the lads are mostly soldiers so it's a bit like trying to damn a flood telling them not to swear and they are very inventive with it. Having said that though, when talking to me or in front of the children they do make efforts to moderate their speech but on the whole I just ignore it but I do appreicate it when they try not to swear. that goes for work too, if I'm in a gaurdroom I don't worry about it but I won't tolerate been sworn at.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't use any of them, but I've been known to cut loose with a four letter word or two when a bone gets broken.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't use any of them, but I've been known to cut loose with a four letter word or two when a bone gets broken.

nah, really? :lfao:

I think they lose their impact when used to often.

(hey preacher, how the fu are you doing this d*** Sunday...)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no tolerant for any curse words, in my world proper words are the norm. I know now a days certain words are acceptable to alot of people but inside my school it is like my little world we will have the respect and common curtesy that has been for century. Being able to control yourself in any circunstance is the Martial way, not being able to is a thug way.

Last edited:

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
None is allowed.
We have students from 6-60 years old, and there is no situation that such language improves. It lacks courtesy and self-control, though I agree that a single word, maybe two will be ignored when bones are broken. We don't see testosterone as an excuse.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because people swear doesn't actually mean they lack respect funnily enough. In certain professions language that is not acceptable anywhere else is the norm, it's not testosterone, it's a matter of everyday usage of words. It's nothing special, soldiers language has been the same for many centuries, I don't think anyone actually cares unless you are very prudish or it's directed at you personally. Civilians always tend to be shocked at their military though lol.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because people swear doesn't actually mean they lack respect funnily enough. In certain professions language that is not acceptable anywhere else is the norm, it's not testosterone, it's a matter of everyday usage of words. It's nothing special, soldiers language has been the same for many centuries, I don't think anyone actually cares unless you are very prudish or it's directed at you personally. Civilians always tend to be shocked at their military though lol.

LOL, professional language! :lfao:

It is true I suppose. I mean 'swearing like a sailor' is the often used phrase.
Kind of reminds me of when my mom used to work on the Urology ward in the hospital. The 'professional language' was a bit more crude I suppose...then one day she told the Jehova's witness or a Mormon, or who ever was peddling the little booklets and faith to 'shove it under the foreskin', a poor pale religious person stumbled backwards into the elevator, never to be seen again...poor mom did not realize what she had told the guy until it was out tho. But years later it's still good for a laugh.

But it is a good reminder of how versatile language is.

A friend of mine was raised Mennonite. If she had used gosh darn, she would have gotten her hide tanned just as bad as if she had said the real thing. On the other hand '*****' was even used by the preacher. I mean, small wonder, with most of them being farm people, it happens, you shovel it, no big deal.

The she moved down south, you can't say God, but gosh is ok, you say '*****' people faint...

***** means the 's' word for poop...

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

That 'everyday usage' is that culture. It's okay in some settings but not in others. I'm a veteran of the infantry, and have talked that language. It's fine 'with the guys', but not around the families and some other settings. Part of self-control is acting appropriately within the setting you're in at the moment. Part of courtesy is being respectful of others' norms of behavior when you're a guest. Just because you cuss like a sailor doesn't make that acceptable when you visit your mother for holiday dinner. I'll agree that civilians tend not to understand the military life, but sometimes soldiers need to change their talk when they change their clothes.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

piss
sucks

NEVER.

Manny

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no tolerant for any curse words, in my world proper words are the norm. I know now a days certain words are acceptable to alot of people but inside my school it is like my little world we will have the respect and common curtesy that has been for century. Being able to control yourself in any circunstance is the Martial way, not being able to is a thug way.

Yes, but "even the sage screams when he is devoured by the tiger." :wink2: When my rib was broken during the first hour of three (yes, we sparred for 3 hours, with a 5 minute break at the top of each hour) at my black belt test, I hollered, "****!" and hit the ground. Then I got back up and fought the rest of the time. I didn't cry, or puke, or quit, so I feel my control was more than adequate.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but "even the sage screams when he is devoured by the tiger." :wink2: When my rib was broken during the first hour of three (yes, we sparred for 3 hours, with a 5 minute break at the top of each hour) at my black belt test, I hollered, "****!" and hit the ground. Then I got back up and fought the rest of the time. I didn't cry, or puke, or quit, so I feel my control was more than adequate.

And I'll bet nobody said 'boo' either. Your self-control was clear, and a fine contrast to someone with a needless case of potty mouth. Nowadays I teach high school, and the common message to kids is to think about where you are when you choose your words.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 'everyday usage' is that culture. It's okay in some settings but not in others. I'm a veteran of the infantry, and have talked that language. It's fine 'with the guys', but not around the families and some other settings. Part of self-control is acting appropriately within the setting you're in at the moment. Part of courtesy is being respectful of others' norms of behavior when you're a guest. Just because you cuss like a sailor doesn't make that acceptable when you visit your mother for holiday dinner. I'll agree that civilians tend not to understand the military life, but sometimes soldiers need to change their talk when they change their clothes.

However my club is a military environment, we aren't 'outside'.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Someone already mentioned context. That really is it.
It all depends on who I am with at the time. I find when I’m around certain rougher friends, the colourful language comes out. Around children, strangers and those who I know never use such language, it stays away. In the dojo it never comes out.

Latest Discussions