Where are the TRUE masters

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Adept said:
I disagree. Dedicating ones life to an art is not enough. They also have to have the natural ability, ambition and discipline to be the best. Not just the best they can be, but better than their peers as well.

Further, inner peace and helping the community does not make one a master. It makes one a good person, and an asset to the community. But it doesn't make them a martial arts master.

Yes that is true. A lifetime of bad practice doesn't make anyone a Master of anything, except maybe bad practice.

R. McLain

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to side with Adept for the most part. I think a master must not only know the "how" but the "why" as well...

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have people on occasion call me master because of my 5th dan or because they feel it fits. I personally hate it!! I recieve more enjoyment out of seeing my students succeed and learn then I do out of all the certificates, plaques in the world.

I wish there were more true masters and less blowhards but unfortunetly there aren't. Ego as gotten in the way I think thats why there is not as many true masters.

I know a man who is based in Kokomo, IN that is more continent being called Mr. or Sensei then Kyoshi or Master and he is an 8th dan ranked direct from Okinawa. He is absolutely inspirational in the way he teaches and how he approaches things. A very kind man who leads by example not by ego nor by demand. He commands respect by his actions. To me this man is a true master.