When Doomsday Fails ... What Now For The Believers?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20110521/sc_livescience/whendoomsdayisntbelieversstruggletocope
In 1994, Camping predicted a September doomsday, but hedged his bets with a question mark. On his website (familyradio.com), Camping wrote that he had misunderstood a key biblical passage, but since that time, biblical evidence for a 2011 end had "greatly solidified."
Nice method of getting out of his failure.

"One of the options is for the group to say, 'Society wasn't ready, Jesus felt there weren't enough people worthy of rapturing. Hence, we've got to go out and convert more people,'" Kent said.

So there are less than 200 Million good Christians on the planet? Out of how many believers of different Christian sects? Kinda insulting I think.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was most upset that the Rapture was a bust ... I have to go to work tomorrow now! :(

One day the god-botherers will pack it in ... you note that I am not holding my breath however.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was most upset that the Rapture was a bust ... I have to go to work tomorrow now! :(

One day the god-botherers will pack it in ... you note that I am not holding my breath however.

what is a god-botherer?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is a god-botherer?

What, you don't think it bothers God that somebody down here thinks that he knows God's mind? Especially since the very God they purport to be worshiping said that they couldn't?

But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.Mark 13:32

NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report) – After a much-heralded End of the World failed to materialize on the appointed day, May 21, Almighty God held a rare press conference in New York to discuss the matter.
Dressed in His trademark flowing white robe and carrying a thunderbolt, God seemed visibly irked by the predictions calling for the world to end this Saturday.
“I’ll end the world when I’m good and ready, Me damn it,” He snapped in response to a question from a USA Today reporter.
:lfao:

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
BillboardPerspective-Exported.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When Doomsday Fails ... What Now For The Believers?

Well I am betting at least some are wishing they did not spend every last cent of their back account… not to mention a few other indiscretions they wish they had not committed :uhyeah:

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
See, I kind of think that the Rapture did happen, and all of the "pure of heart" were taken into heaven, leaving only those of us who didn't quite qualify here on Earth. The problem is, no one actually noticed. ;)

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My advice to them would be:

Cheer Up - it's not like's it's the end of the world

:)
(sorry, I couldn't resist)

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ujala Sehgal – Sun May 22, 3:20 pm ET
If you hadn't noticed, the world didn't end yesterday, despite predictions by radio host Harold Camping, who spent a multimillion dollar campaign spreading the word, funded by donations from other believers. But while many were "celebrating" the Earth's continued existence at "Rapture Parties," for Camping's believers, the noticeable lack of earthquakes, brimstone, famine, and death was deeply disappointing.
In New York, retired transportation agency worker Robert Fitzpatrick, who spent "over $140,000 of his savings on subway posters and outdoor advertisements," stood in Times Square at 6 p.m., Reuters reports.
When the hour came and went, he said: "I do not understand why ...," as his speech broke off and he looked at his watch.
"I do not understand why nothing has happened."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/20...jA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawN0aGVzYWRzdG9yaWU-

It is sad that folks were gullible enough to believe Camping and had wasted their money and now are having to pay for it.

As for Camping himself... he's doing the obvious...
As for Harold Camping, no word has been heard from him. His daughter Sue Espinoza received a call from him Sunday morning, according to the Times.
"He just said, 'I'm a little bewildered that it didn't happen, but it's still May 21 [in the United States],'" Espinoza said, standing in the doorway of her Alameda home. "It's going to be May 21 from now until midnight."
The shades were drawn at his Alameda home and no one answered the door, though neighbors said he was there.
Is the guy ever going to come back out? Must be hard trying to figure out an excuse for his mis-prophecy.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What, you don't think it bothers God that somebody down here thinks that he knows God's mind? Especially since the very God they purport to be worshiping said that they couldn't?

:lfao:

Is that what god-botherer means? lol I was expecting something different I guess lol

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is the guy ever going to come back out? Must be hard trying to figure out an excuse for his mis-prophecy.

This little two-step has been going on for literally thousands of years. Based on history, this charlatan or fool (or both?) will keep most of his true believers. A thin reed will be offered to explain what didn't happen, like "God told me he spared us" or "we need to save more people before the Rapture happens" (I've seen both said, and more). Because most of his followers believe in him for emotional, irrational reasons, they will accept what they are told because they want to keep believing.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is nothing even remotely god worshipping about a flim flam man like Camping. I think a better label would be crook, liar, cheat and delusional idiot. Imagine the poor misguided people who actually fell for his crap. I do mean poor and misguided because most of them have some sort of mental illness. The rapture is coming so I need to get rid of my possessions and promote it with my money so that others will know. It is unconscionable that someone like Camping carries on to this point without paying for this sin and I would imagine many more! Hopefully, in the end he will have his judgement day!
icon6.gif

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is nothing even remotely god worshipping about a flim flam man like Camping. I think a better label would be crook, liar, cheat and delusional idiot. Imagine the poor misguided people who actually fell for his crap. I do mean poor and misguided because most of them have some sort of mental illness. The rapture is coming so I need to get rid of my possessions and promote it with my money so that others will know. It is unconscionable that someone like Camping carries on to this point without paying for this sin and I would imagine many more! Hopefully, in the end he will have his judgement day!
icon6.gif

SHUNNN the nonbelievers!

(personally I am more of mean kind about all those rapturers: Want you gone

What, you are still here?!)

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Were you expecting something along the lines of ... THIS? :lol2:

yes that is more along the lines of what I thought he was talking about.
but I was not sure so I asked lol
they have some terms once in a while that crack me up... I still remember him calling some people toerags.... that one still cracks me up

Latest Discussions