When do you correct Kata?

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. As a relatively newer Goju Ryu student, I'm often too embarrassed to ask about these things.
There are some good Goju people here. Feel free to ask anything you want. We may not have all the answers but we can probably offer a reasonable opinion.
:)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
should you try to correct a kata that someone outside your school but in the same system is doing? I think this might be a tricky situation but I might ask why it was being done the way the person is doing it and why the changes

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. As a relatively newer Goju Ryu student, I'm often too embarrassed to ask about these things.

:oops:

Why? If you've got 30 years in an art, then it might conceivably be embarrassing to not know historic details, but as a noob, it should be taken for granted that you don't know any of these things.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
should you try to correct a kata that someone outside your school but in the same system is doing? I think this might be a tricky situation but I might ask why it was being done the way the person is doing it and why the changes

I don't think so, no. You're not their teacher. As you say, I might ask questions, but I also know that the answer is likely to be "because that's how my teacher wants it done". I'd be more likely to ask their teacher, if I had the chance, but even then the answer may well be the same.
Here's an example. In the TKD yudanja form Keumgang, a crane stance with a diamond low block is done several times.
P3010005.JPG
In the KKW version of this for, the leg is drawn up quickly while the blocks are performed slowly. In some schools, students are taught to squat before rising up to the cane stance. In our school, the foot rises slowly, reaching the final position at the same time as the hands.
My understanding is that the reason for doing the blocks slowly is to force the student to hold the crane stance longer, as a balance exercise. (Part of the meaning of "keumgang" is "immovable" and balance is one of the things we must perfect if we're to be immovable.) My KJN believes the balance exercise is made more effective if the foot moves slowly, since the more body parts moving, the more difficult maintaining balance is.
I practice it his way and the KKW way, and while discussion is always welcome, I'm not likely to accept correction from random people.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
@kodora81
i ask questions in my goju class every day and occasionally throw one or two here :)

there's nothing wrong with being new everyone is new at some point. And besides if you don't ask, how will you learn them?

In my opinion there's no such thing as a question you can't learn from. If it's a good question you'll get a good answer and if it's not you'll learn from that too

Last edited: