What's Your Political Platform?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd love to hear it. We've had a lot of threads recently where people are accusing other people of this and that. Well, what if you were a politician? What would your platform be? I know that Bob Hubbard's posted his platform a few times. I'll throw out some examples of some typical planks, but feel free to add whatever you'd like.

I've said at times that I don't consider myself to be a liberal. But maybe I'm wrong. So, for what it's worth, below is a very brief overview of my platform:

Foreign Policy: I believe that we need to protect our interests overseas, and that comes from cultivating allies and working as much as possible for a diplomatic solution. We are involved in wars that are bankrupting our country. Where military action is necessary, I think we should do what needs to be done quickly, efficiently and always consider under what conditions our involvement will end. The problems in the Middle East stem from a lack of an exit strategy and a lack of a clear idea of what winning means.

Jobs: We should also work to eliminate our growing dependence on imported products from overseas. Government tax incentives to reward industries for creating domestic jobs, particularly in manufacturing industries are key. Couple this with an increase in import tariffs to create a more level playing field, and Made in America will mean something again.

Energy: Bottom line for me is reducing our dependence upon foreign energy. This doesn't mean eliminating any imported oil. Rather, if we NEED it, then we are at risk. This means looking with open eyes at our energy situation. We have a wealth of natural resources, as well as several ways to produce green energy.

Education: This is a big one. I am not opposed to standardized testing, but the tests should accurately reflect the knowledge and behaviors we're looking for. I think that the local school districts should continue to have the latitude to teach children how they deem best, including the opportunity to try creative approaches. At the same time, the standardized tests should ensure that children are meeting the minimum requirements necessary to become productive members of society.

In addition, I'd create and/or strengthen trade education for kids who are interested in pursuing an apprenticeship following high school. If kids in high school aren't interested in college, let's give them some tools that will prepare them for an apprenticeship or entry level job.

Taxes: I'd push for a flat rate income tax assessed on all income above $20k for an individual or $50k for a family. Whether it's from capital gains, dividends, royalties, wages, an inheritance or anything else. You get money in a year, it will be reported and taxed at a flat rate.

Abortion: I'm pro-choice.

Guns: I see two issues, but to boil it all down, my philosophy on guns is to make them available and accessible to most people, but to also do what we can to increase personal accountability. I don't see the value in assault weapons bans or anything like that. But I do think that sensible measures to improve background checks, mandate training courses that would include gun safety, gun law and "use of force."

I'd also like to see people pass a practical exam for each broad weapon type before being able to purchase a weapon in that category, sort of like a driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement, or in the military, being certified to drive a forklift up to 10k, a crane, a truck up to 1 1/2 ton, etc....

Gay Marriage: Government should be out of the marriage business, beyond census records and establishing legal next of kin, for everyone. Not just gay couples.

Immigration: I don't really have a strong opinion about this one. I think that the idea of simplifying our immigration laws and providing a path for people who are already in the USA to gain legal residency, if not citizenship at some point, is a good one. Our country was founded on immigrant workers, and I think that diversity strengthens our country, not weakens it.

Health Care: I'm for single payer, all the way. There are a lot of reasons for this, but the bottom line is that I think it's the best way to go for America.

Welfare: Increase personal accountability and invest in job training. Time limits are important, particularly where adults are concerned. I don't have a problem with drug tests, but if we're dealing with welfare recipients, the agency should foot the bill for the testing.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great topic Steve. I'm off to class right now so I dint have time to answer but I will.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others.

We believe that respect for individual rights is the essential precondition for a free and prosperous world, that force and fraud must be banished from human relationships, and that only through freedom can peace and prosperity be realized.

Consequently, we defend each person's right to engage in any activity that is peaceful and honest, and welcome the diversity that freedom brings. The world we seek to build is one where individuals are free to follow their own dreams in their own ways, without interference from government or any authoritarian power.

In the following pages we have set forth our basic principles and enumerated various policy stands derived from those principles.

These specific policies are not our goal, however. Our goal is nothing more nor less than a world set free in our lifetime, and it is to this end that we take these stands.

http://www.lp.org/platform

Foreign Policy: The protection of individual rights is the only proper purpose of government. Government is constitutionally limited so as to prevent the infringement of individual rights by the government itself. The principle of non-initiation of force should guide the relationships between governments.

I support the maintenance of a sufficient military to defend the United States against aggression. The United States should both avoid entangling alliances and abandon its attempts to act as policeman for the world.

American foreign policy should seek an America at peace with the world. Our foreign policy should emphasize defense against attack from abroad and enhance the likelihood of peace by avoiding foreign entanglements. I would end the current U.S. government policy of foreign intervention, including military and economic aid. I recognize the right of all people to resist tyranny and defend themselves and their rights. I condemn the use of force, and especially the use of terrorism, against the innocent, regardless of whether such acts are committed by governments or by political or revolutionary groups.

Jobs: I want all members of society to have abundant opportunities to achieve economic success. A free and competitive market allocates resources in the most efficient manner. Each person has the right to offer goods and services to others on the free market. The only proper role of government in the economic realm is to protect property rights, adjudicate disputes, and provide a legal framework in which voluntary trade is protected. All efforts by government to redistribute wealth, or to control or manage trade, are improper in a free society.

I support repeal of all laws which impede the ability of any person to find employment. I oppose government-fostered forced retirement. I support the right of free persons to associate or not associate in labor unions, and an employer should have the right to recognize or refuse to recognize a union. I oppose government interference in bargaining, such as compulsory arbitration or imposing an obligation to bargain.

Energy: While energy is needed to fuel a modern society, government should not be subsidizing any particular form of energy. I oppose all government control of energy pricing, allocation, and production.

Education: Education is best provided by the free market at the local level, achieving greater quality, accountability and efficiency with more diversity of choice. Recognizing that the education of children is an integral part of maintaining our Republic, I would restore authority to parents and communities, without interference from the central government.

Taxes: All persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. I’d call for the repeal of the income tax, the abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. I oppose any legal requirements forcing employers to serve as tax collectors. Government should not incur debt, which burdens future generations without their consent. I’d support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. A national sales tax should suffice with a limited government.

Abortion: Individuals should be free to make choices for themselves and to accept responsibility for the consequences of the choices they make. No individual, group, or government may initiate force against any other individual, group, or government. My support of an individual's right to make choices in life does not mean that I necessarily approve or disapprove of those choices.

Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, I believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration.

Guns: The only legitimate use of force is in defense of individual rights — life, liberty, and justly acquired property — against aggression. This right inheres in the individual, who may agree to be aided by any other individual or group. I affirm the individual right recognized by the Second Amendment to keep and bear arms, and oppose the prosecution of individuals for exercising their rights of self-defense. I oppose all laws at any level of government restricting the ownership, manufacture, or transfer or sale of firearms or ammunition.

Gay Marriage: Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the government's treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws. Government does not have the authority to define, license or restrict personal relationships. Consenting adults should be free to choose their own sexual practices and personal relationships.

Immigration: I support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human as well as financial capital across national borders. However, I support control over the entry into our country of foreign nationals who pose a credible threat to security, health or property.

Health Care: I favor restoring and reviving a free market health care system. I recognize the freedom of individuals to determine the level of health insurance they want (if any), the level of health care they want, the care providers they want, the medicines and treatments they will use and all other aspects of their medical care, including end-of-life decisions. People should be free to purchase health insurance across state lines.

Welfare: I would phase out the current government-sponsored systems and transition to a private voluntary system. The proper and most effective source of help for the poor is the voluntary efforts of private groups and individuals. I believe members of society will become more charitable and civil society will be strengthened as government reduces its activity in this realm.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right at this moment, I'm pretty in favor of the Leary Platform
Domestic Policy: F you!
Foreign Policy: F Them!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right at this moment, I'm pretty in favor of the Leary Platform
Domestic Policy: F you!
Foreign Policy: F Them!

I think we had this in the previous administration, no?

(FWIW I am not keeping up with the current one, I'll wait for the movie...)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Foreign Policy: I believe we need to stop being the worlds police force and providing welfare programs for other nations. We also need to stop picking winners and loosers in conflicts that dont concern us Its backfired almost everytime in the future our own weapons are used against us. However I believe when we do decide to use force we need to strike with the full force and might of the US Military. Not a slow dragged out 10 year war. Go in do the job and get out.

Jobs and Taxes: I combined these because I believe they go hand in hand. Income tax should be abolished and replaced with a federal sales tax. Tax exempt groceries and used items. Businesses will come back to the US because they wont need to pay tax on earnngs which will in turn create more jobs.

Energy: We need to stop sending our money to countries that dislike us. We have plenty of natural resources here. We need to use them. We also need to look at alternative sources but NOT subsidized by the Govt. If the product is going to work and be effecient it needs to stand alone on its own with no help from the Govt.

Education: Department of education should be ended. Allow states to take full control of education systems. I also think parents should be allowed to opt out of paying for public schools with a voucher program to allow parents to send there kids to private schools. Theres a reason priivate schools provide a better service then public schools. They need to have a better product to keep students.
I also think schools are to focused on preparing kids for college and not life. Not every kid should be going to college. Teach kids to problem solve and not memorize answers for tests.

Abortion: I am against it. I aslo believe it should be a states rights decision not a Fed decision to make it legal.

Guns: I believe the Constitution is clear that All Americans should be allowed to have guns. Im of the opinion that everyone that can own a gun should own one. I believe there should be safeguards preventing criminals and mentally unstable people from getting guns. But since no laws will prevent criminals from getting guns people need to be armed to defend themselves.

Gay marriage: I dont believe any Govt should need to give permssion for people to marry but since they already do its NOT the federal Govt job to be involved in this issue its a states rights issue. States should be free to pass the laws they want.

Immigration: We need to seal up our borders. Legal immigration should be made easier for people to come here but illegal immigratnts should be expelled. You want to come here thats great but do it legally.

Health care: I believe this is not a govt issue. Private sector should be allowed to find solutions. It should be more of a co-op style system. Make it like an investment system or like car insurance. Allow people to shop around choose plans they like options they want and pay into the plan.

Welfare: Needs to provide more help and training but for a short time period. Nobody should live their entire lives on welfare programs. The system now gives just enough help for you to survive but not to get back on your feet so you get stuck in the cycle. You should have a lifetime cap in place. Whatever the cap is say 18 months total per lifetime. After that Im sorry your on your own. We tried you didnt help yourself good luck.

I believe the Fed had taken too much power away from the states. I believe the Orig. plan was for the states to control themselves that a fed govt was only to do a small set of responsibilites that are clearly established in the Constitution. If its not in the Constitution then the Fed should stay out of it.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe in a strict interpretation of the Federal Constitution, small government, low taxation, and a focus on personal responsibility.
Government intrusion in our lives is becoming epidemic, with thousands of pages of regulations, restrictions and permissions needed for even the simplest act. Incomprehensive legal mazes of laws should be eliminated in favor of common sense ones that don't require the average citizen to have a law degree to understand. The role of the Federal Government should be minimal as intended by the Framers of our Constitution, and anything not very specifically listed restricted to the States or People. "Interpreted Meaning" needs to be abolished.

Foreign Policy:
It is not our job to be the Worlds Policeman. Or the Worlds Welfare Giver. If private citizens with to provide aid that is one thing, but a government policy of either intervention or aid should be eliminated.

Economy:
The current brier patch of regulations, requirements and taxes needs to be seriously overhauled. The current system is one that handcuffs small business while encouraging inefficiency in large business. Bail outs, Stimuluses, and such should be abolished. The SBA should be expanded with more training and advice for startups, with a greater funding to help new businesses develop. While this is a contradiction to my small government view, encouraging startups will boost the economy an benefit more Americans.

Taxes:
Abolish Individual Income Taxes. Replace with a National Sales Tax on everything, except vital services and needs such as unprepared food, medicine, medical services, and home utilities. Abolish inheritance/estate/death taxes.

Energy:
Encourage research into alternate sources.

Education:
End the failure that is the DOE. Focus on life-prep skills, not test-passing. Encourage entrepreneurial skills while making sure that our kids graduate while being able to balance a check book. Return education to State control.

Abortion:
Abortion is a personal decision and a medical procedure which may be used in the after treatment of a crime. As such, health plans should include coverage.

Guns:
The Second Amendment clearly says "Shall Not Be Infringed". However those convicted of crimes and the mentally unstable are not considered safe carry. Those who have willingly forfeited their rights by choosing to engage in criminal activities, and those who are under the care of qualified medical professionals who consider carry a risk may have their right to own/use arms restricted until such time as they can again be deemed 'safe'. Magazine and Ammunition should not be restricted, nor should any arm. It is the use that should be restricted not the access. Meaning that while a grenade should be legal to buy, blowing up a tree stump in the yard with it might not be.

Marriage:
While the Constitution does not mention marriage specifically, and the 10th Amendment rightfully gives that power to the People, the 14th clearly says that moving from state to state doesn't change your rights. Article 4 also states "Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State." As marriage is a public record, all states must recognize them. While the decision to allow same-sex or interracial marriages is up to the individual state, recognizing marriages performed elsewhere is not optional. Any couple, legally wed in any state should have the full recognition of the Federal government in all matters that apply.

Police:
Police need to be held to their oaths and respect for the law. Photographers and other citizens who are within the law should not be assaulted or hit with trumped up charges to intimidate. Officers who do so should face disciplinary action. Police departments need to better communicate between themselves to better serve their communities. National information exchanges should be established to securely and confidently allow this communication between all levels of law enforcement. Penalties for injuring or killing cops should be increased, and more reasonable precautions taken to ensure our law enforcement officials come home at the end of their shifts.

Immigration:
"Illegal" is illegal. Those who have entered our nation unlawfully should be removed. At the same time, legal means of entry should be improved so that honest and law abiding people can become part of our country.

Health care:
A healthy society is a happier, more productive, more energetic one. Our existing system is a complex mess, and recent changes have done little to fix that. Rather than mandating people find solutions or face penalty, a better way is possible. Establish a national health system, paid for out of sales tax revenue and payroll contributions. The system would expand on the existing Medicare/caid networks and provide basic health and wellness as well as emergency care to all citizens. Expanded coverage would be available from 3rd party companies. Increased medical personnel would be trained through a system where they would goto medical school at no cost in exchange for a stint in public service.

Military:
A better understanding of what the vast military budget really pays for is needed. Needs of the nation must be balanced while we must continue to improve our military's ability to do their job of protecting our country with minimal loss of our men and women in service. Injured military should be cared for.

Welfare:
Welfare should be left to the States. Long-term welfare should be restricted to only those most in need, and lifetime aid only in the rarest of cases. Workfare programs should replace welfare.

Unemployment:
Years of unemployment encourages laziness. Job training, career change and entrepenurship should be pushed instead. Unemployment should only run for a brief period of time.

Infrastructure:
Our cities are crumbling, and our roads need repair. Our telecom is a complex combination of technologies, our wireless coverage incompatable and our internet too slow. A national plan to upgrade our nation should be developed, private enterprises brought in as partners to work efficiently towards boosting out nations energy, transport and communications to again be the leader in the world. Minimal government oversight should be used to ensure that NY and TX and CA all are on equal and compatible systems.

While I believe there is too much government, we must be careful to not scale back too far. I view the role of the Federal as a unifier, but with a lot less paperwork.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm a libertarian and as such I believe that two principles are natural and rational outcomes in human action. Irrational action can retard the advancement of these principles in human action, human society moves closer and closer to the ideal.

1. Non-aggression principle - The NAP states that the initiation of force is immoral. The initiation of force does not include self defense as that is a response to the initiation of force.

2. Self Ownership - the individual owns their body and the results of their labor.

That said, here are my answers to all of these debates.

Foreign Policy:

1. Non-aggression principle - The NAP states that the initiation of force is immoral. The initiation of force does not include self defense as that is a response to the initiation of force.

2. Self Ownership - the individual owns their body and the results of their labor.

Jobs:

Energy:

Education
:

Taxes:

Abortion:

Guns:

Gay Marriage:

Immigration:

Health Care:

Welfare:

This may seem cute, but stop for a moment and consider what this means...

This makes it awfully easy to understand Libertarians. It also makes it easy to under the difference between libertarianism and most modern political philosophy. The principles that libertarians believe in are universalized and government, if there is such a thing left after the principles are universalized, government is society. All we need to get along is each other.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't read everyone elses yet, because to be honest, just not in the mood to read about a million policies over and over. So, you're responses have no impact on mine XD Like the idea of the thread, though, so I'm going to respond :) Also, this is from the point of view of an american, not Britain or Australia or anywhere else, so my policies will obviously be different, as we face slightly different concerns and cultures.

Foreign Policy: I see no need for us to concern ourselves with foreign countries at the moment. We need them for energy, oil, and market, but we are more likely to have compliant business partners if we don't try to make political alliances. Think in this way: How likely are business owners to keep their clientele if they make it known who they like, who they dislike, what their political views are and try to impose their morals on others. Now, how likely are business owners to keep their clientele if they say that their impartial to all those above issues, and don't make it known if they have quarrels with others, or that they are incredibly buddy buddy with some people who may have quarrels with everyone? I feel this idea can be translated to an international level.

Jobs: In the past, I was incredibly laissez-faire, where both goods and workers are concerned. However, after some arguments with others, my opinions changed a lot. I feel it should be illegal for companies located in the US to outsource to other countries for lower than our minimum wage. (I also feel like that minimum wage should be raised a good deal). If they wish to use other countries for below our minimum wage, that's fine as long as they don't use any benefits from those workers in the US. However, the second they do, it becomes part of our jurisdiction, so they have to follow our rules regarding workers. If another country they are involved with have a higher minimum wage, they have to follow those as well. This, in my mind, will do two things. 1: It will prevent corporations from putting other businesses out of business due to cheap goods/services/etc. that come from having cheap workers. 2: It will encourage corporations to hire workers within the US and help the US economy, since it would be cheaper to hire people here for minimum wage, then waste time, effort and money going to other countries to pay them the same wage, then come back to the US afterwords, as well as potentially having to waste money on translators and linguistic experts for the workers if the job involves communication.

Energy: I don't care too much where we get our energy. We need to get it imported in order to help the world economy, since almost all countries are, whether they like it or not, are now inter-dependent. More important is putting part of the workforce and budget into finding better, cleaner forms of energy that could help the world as a whole (although, to be honest, if we need to save money, we could leave this part to other countries and just mooch off their success :evil smirk: )
EDIT: After reading others posts, I want to make something clear. I believe the government should be involved in researching new clean forms of energy, simply because they would be, IMO, most effective in researching them. However, I do not believe the government should be in charge of allocating, controlling, buying or selling current forms of energy.
Education: I'm of the idea that education should be more capitalistic, and less run by the government. There was a post a bit ago comparing education to dojos, and I would have to agree with that post. As I think I mentioned there, the only thing the government would really need to do is have a committee that (not by giving standardized tests) viewed the schools and made sure they were teaching correctly, and necessary things. Overall, there is enough of a need for education to function in later life in today's society that the government no longer needs to 'force' people to be educated in specific ways such as state administered exams in public schools that follow a very strict curriculum given to everyone, despite where their talents may lie. Also, a fan of the idea of apprenticeship, and would like if that took a greater role in society, although admittedly I don't have a way to push that, so can't support that as strongly. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Taxes: As a college student who makes little enough money that I don't pay a lot for taxes, I don't feel I have a right to comment on this yet. Give it a few years ;)
Abortion: I'm pro-life, for reasons I'd rather not get into here (they are not religious, I am not a fan of people with religious reasons, or people who would try to force their religious views of morality onto others).

Guns: Change the stereotypes around guns, have all guns have hello kitty or dora the explorer paint (no one wants to rob you with a dora gun), ban assault rifles, let people have their other guns for protection and/or sport, and stop selling bullets for non-(sport/hunting)rifles and non-pistols. Tighter or looser gun-control won't do anything, since people can bypass any sort of gun control if they wish.
Gay Marriage: Two different marriages. A legal one, which should allow any type of marriage, since all people deserve the benefits those give, and theirs no reasons for those to be taken away, and a religious one, for whatever religion they may be a part of, where it is each individual religions job to decide if their marriage is holy in the eyes of god/buddha/multiple gods/deities/etc. Also, should allow polygamy legally, since there is no reason I can think of to deny those people the rights you give others as well, especially if in doing so you are denying them their religion.

Immigration: I think it should be easier to become legal, but that we should work harder to prevent illegal immigrants from mooching off us without paying for taxes or contributing to the society, besides taking our jobs and money. Also, abhor job denial of people due to them being 1st or 2nd generation Americans. I am Cuban, and so is my cousin, who grew up in America, and always wanted to join the FBI, even going to college for criminal justice, then joining the navy with the intention of eventually working for them. They put him on a waiting list, then informed him that because his mother was born in Cuba (even though she legally left Cuba before she was even 10), he would not be allowed to work there. So now he's a part of our navy serving a country that won't allow him the job he's spent his life training for because he's not trustworthy enough. That seems wrong to me in many ways.

Health Care: Once again, as I am still on my father's health care plan, I can't comment on this since I don't personally understand what paying for healthcare is like.

Welfare: I'm perfectly fine with welfare. However, we should have stricter policies on checking and making sure that those who are getting welfare need it, are using the money properly (maybe even foodstamp-type coupons rather than actual money that allow them to get certain foods), proof that they are either unable to get a job or are searching for a job/getting the necessary skills for a job, as well as proof that they are not on any drugs (unless they are going to rehab, then thats the rehabs job. If they get kicked out, no more welfare for them unless they prove they've kicked it).

Last edited:

Latest Discussions