What's your personal fighting stance.

OP
A

Arithon

I prefer the standing normally stance. I think you won't always have time to go into a real stance so you may as well learn how to hit from there (or something close to it).

OP
W

Withered Soul

I have my eyes on theirs all the time. I like to confuse them by switching from Orthodox to Southpaw cus I'm both handed at punching. I have my hands in a semi-boxing sort of way and knees slightly bent.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Is any stance where my feet are underneath and supporting my body from being on the ground. :) Yet kicking my opponents butt.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by ChineseKempoAL
I'm kinda awkward when it comes to fighting stances. I am a left handed person so I feel pretty comfortable in a Southpaw stance however my stronger kicking leg is my right leg. So I guess it kinda works out because the right leg is in front and I can really get speed with the front leg. Now the wierd part is that I can drop back into a normal fighting stance (with the right leg back) and I think it feels more comfortable because now I have my left hand in front and my right leg back. I get really good speed now with the left hand in front and really good power with the right leg back. I noticed also that when sparring I m constantly changing from Southpaw to regular stance. I think every 10 secs or so or just after a defense or attack. As far as the hand position goes, I keep them out in front of me open hands, with the rear hand slightly lower than the front. So far it works for me and I have no complaints. Great thread though. :)

:asian:

It is always good to be able to switch sides. Keeps your opponent off guard, especially if they aren't able to switch sides and be effective. :) Being a lefty myself has given me that advantage a little bit from time to time.

Pervaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
By stance I assume that the fight has already started and you and/or they have been hit (or both).

In systema you dont have any stances apart from standing with a "straight" back loose hips and even looser legs. In the Booj - similar "stance" then when the fight starts - timing/distance/emotions/energy determine what you do next ..

P

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Any position I find myself in. I think wether your sitting standing walking ect. as long as your aware of the possible danger and prepared to deal with it your in a fighting stance.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A natural standing position, knees *slightly* bent so they are not locked, hands loose at my sides.

OP
A

andurilking2

i also focus on the chest region mainly shoulders and hips,

OP
A

andurilking2

my fighting stance is a point fighting one but I like it cause it has one hand up and the other hand blocking my ribs. I like it cause it works for me. Plus it helps when I kick cause it is good for blocking. I kick alot cause i am 6 foot 5 and have long legs
didn't you say it was 6'4 in your last post.

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I stand with my feet shoulder width apart at a 45 degree angle so that one foot is forward forming an “L” shape. My rear arm is up and near my cheek bone while my forward hand is out at a 45 degree angle as a sort of 'feeler.' My eyes don't really look in any one place. They tend to go a little bit unfocused and I am able to see pretty much everything that my assailant does. I'm told that I don't miss a single thing... the problem is that while I might be able to tell what my assailant is doing, I'm not trained well enough to respond quickly to the attack that I know is coming. Very annoying, not enough time sparring to hone that skill.

Latest Discussions