What's your personal fighting stance.

Z

zen_hydra

When fighting or sparring, what stance do you naturally prefer? What are your arm/hand positions? Your leg/foot positions? Where are your eyes focused? What position is it that you go to without thinking, when you feel threatened?

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
The following was my response to a similar question that was asked in the TKD forum:

"Our style teaches that generally you should stay in a low stance, and not rise up uneccessarily. The best reason I've heard for this is that you can always rise up very fast, but you can't drop down or lower your stance any faster than gravity will carry you.

As for foot placement, my preferred stance is kind of like a hybrid between a back stance and the fencing "on guard" position. I narrow it or make it more square, depending on how concerned I am about attacks to my back. Keeping my front foot pointed towards my opponent reminds me to chamber my kicks, and makes my knee less vulnerable than it would be if my foot were turned to the side. If I'm in close, my arms are always moving, but I start with my lead arm up so that my fist is just below my eyes. Hasn't seemed to fail me yet, but I'm always open to suggestions."

If I were suddenly threatened? I suppose I would step back into the stance I described above and keep my guard close to my head.

Like I said, I'm open to suggestions about my stance, so feel free to pick it apart.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Whatever stance works for you, it will vary on the individual.

However, if your fighting stance is the horse stance (not meant to be a combat stance) or something like that, then I would reconsider changing it.

My personal fighting stance is like sport TKD/boxing stance. I find that I am able to execute all my strikes quickly, able to use footwork freely, and able to move my body without restriction. I also find it easy to shoot from if I wanted to go for a takedown which is very unorthodox.

OP
K

KanoLives

I'm kinda awkward when it comes to fighting stances. I am a left handed person so I feel pretty comfortable in a Southpaw stance however my stronger kicking leg is my right leg. So I guess it kinda works out because the right leg is in front and I can really get speed with the front leg. Now the wierd part is that I can drop back into a normal fighting stance (with the right leg back) and I think it feels more comfortable because now I have my left hand in front and my right leg back. I get really good speed now with the left hand in front and really good power with the right leg back. I noticed also that when sparring I m constantly changing from Southpaw to regular stance. I think every 10 secs or so or just after a defense or attack. As far as the hand position goes, I keep them out in front of me open hands, with the rear hand slightly lower than the front. So far it works for me and I have no complaints. Great thread though. :)

:asian:

OP
S

sammy3170

Originally posted by MartialArtist
Whatever stance works for you, it will vary on the individual.

However, if your fighting stance is the horse stance (not meant to be a combat stance) or something like that, then I would reconsider changing it.

My personal fighting stance is like sport TKD/boxing stance. I find that I am able to execute all my strikes quickly, able to use footwork freely, and able to move my body without restriction. I also find it easy to shoot from if I wanted to go for a takedown which is very unorthodox.

The horse stance has its place in combative application. Just because you wouldnt face a would be attacker in a horse stnce doesn't mean it doesnt have use. The only time you can choose to take a stance is when the confrontation starts verbally and you're ready for the persons attack or they telegraph their technique. I would take a neutral type stance similar to a boxers with my hands open and infront of me ready to defend or attack but looking harmless enough. Hands should be out in front of you next to each other. If you have one in front of the other it starts to look like a fighting stance and could potentially initiate unnecessary aggression from a situation that could have been finished verbally.

Just some thoughts
Cheers
Sammy

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to just drop into a "Hey. take it easy." stance in public. My feet slide into a right foot back front stance, body turns slightly to provide a slightly narrower target. Hands come up, palms out and fingers relaxed. It looks very non-aggresive but is very easily used for defense or if need be for attack. I do this with out even thinking about it anymore. My wife has commented that I've done it during a confrontation or so while we were out and I don't remember doing it. I'm getting better every day at using my best weapon.... my brain... to end a confrontation before it ever starts but I still reflexively slide into this stance.

OP
A

andurilking2

well i prefer a sort of modified shoulin monk stance or slide into a shoko kassim but as was mentioned before i dont always have the oportunity to pick my opening stance.

OP
A

andurilking2

i took this from a fellow trainer who practiced ninjitsue (sp?) so i dont know the name but i find it very effective when i plan on dominating with my feet and not fists i cross my arms in front of my chest (high as to cover my face if need be) and take a right leg back left leg forward stance slightly turned to lessen target area and i crouch as low as possible (this creates excellent defense for the upper body and allows free movement in the legs) one unfortunate drawback though is with ones arms crossed only one arm makes a potential weapon and it is whatever one is forward in the cross, (not very good for upper body combat):asian:

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by zen_hydra
Where are your eyes focused?

Always on their eyes...I find it easier to guess what there going to do next AND they find it disconcerting if your being threatened but keeping eye contact all the time :asian:

OP
Z

zen_hydra

The question is not about what you usually have time to get into, but what has become your "natural" fighting stance. When the alarm bells in your head go off, what stance do you reactivly take. What is your "natural," conditioned fighting stance?

I tend to take a right leg cat stance. My lead arm held about waist high, and my trailing arm about chest/neck level. My hands loose and open, with my fingers together. My eyes are focused on my opponents eyes.

OP
K

KanoLives

Originally posted by zen_hydra
I tend to take a right leg cat stance. My lead arm held about waist high, and my trailing arm about chest/neck level. My hands loose and open, with my fingers together. My eyes are focused on my opponents eyes.

I am also a fan of the cat stance. I forgot to answer where my eyes are focused. I find that focusing on my opponents upper chest and shoulder area allows for good peripheral vision of the arms and legs so I can see exactly what is going to be thrown at me. Anyone else find this helpful?

OP
K

KanoLives

I've tried focusing on my opponent's eyes but, I find more experienced people don't telegraph their strikes or attacks with their eyes. And that sometimes gets me hit. :(

OP
Z

zen_hydra

I used to focus on my opponents chest/shoulders, but I find that focusing on the eyes gives me pretty much the same peripheral view, but with the added input that I can read from my opponents eye movements, and facial expressions. I have found that even experienced fighters often have a tell when they are about to go on the offensive.

OP
T

tonbo

I tend to favor a more side-on stance, as has been mentioned before. In sparring, I keep my hands moving as much as possible, without flailing, anyway. I also don't tend to stay in stance, but prefer to move, keeping as much of my side to my opponent as possible.

On the street, I agree with theletch1: I would subtly slide one foot back and try to get my side presented to my opponent, just in case. Then, I would try and talk my way out of it as best as possible.

When fighting or sparring, I tend to keep my gaze at upper chest/shoulder level. That way, I can get a good overall view of what my opponent is doing, and I don't get fooled by someone trying to trick me by using eye clues.

Seems to work pretty well, most of the time.

Peace--

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by sammy3170
The horse stance has its place in combative application. Just because you wouldnt face a would be attacker in a horse stnce doesn't mean it doesnt have use. The only time you can choose to take a stance is when the confrontation starts verbally and you're ready for the persons attack or they telegraph their technique. I would take a neutral type stance similar to a boxers with my hands open and infront of me ready to defend or attack but looking harmless enough. Hands should be out in front of you next to each other. If you have one in front of the other it starts to look like a fighting stance and could potentially initiate unnecessary aggression from a situation that could have been finished verbally.

Just some thoughts
Cheers
Sammy
:confused:

OP
M

MartialArtist

My eyes are on their eyes. The only time I would ever take my eyes off an opponent is to watch what their hips do. Especially on the ground, where you only get glimpses of their eyes or their eyes are obstructed from view. IMO, watching the hips when on the ground gives more on what they're going to do than their eyes.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Start with the eyes first. My eyes are focus on their chest area. I want to see their elbows and knees move. I tend to fight with the right hand forward being right handed some people find this awkward. My legs are directly under my shoulders so I can move very quickly. Both feet point in the same direction. Front foot is turn in a little to protect my groin. I tend to hold my hands very high up against the side of my head. Forarms protect the face and elbows the chest. Use legs to protect the lower half of the body against kicks. Or very close to a JKD stance.
Bob:asian:

OP
S

sweeper

my eyes are at chest level, I don't realy try to focus on anything other than hip and shoulder movement.

in an "oh *****" situation I usualy bring either one or both hands up to around chin level and usualy just shift to a south paw or orthodox boxing stance depending on the position of the attacker. If I have a bit more time I would like to be in a southpaw boxing stance with the back heal raised and my knees a little bent so I have a bit lower CG, My left is usualy guarding my chin or in front of my sternum, my right is usualy extended about half way at shoulder level, back guarding my chin, or dropped to draw an attack. Also some times I like to fight from an orthodox position or square off.. it kind of epends on what's going on and who I'm fighting against/what I need or want to do.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
my fighting stance is a point fighting one but I like it cause it has one hand up and the other hand blocking my ribs. I like it cause it works for me. Plus it helps when I kick cause it is good for blocking. I kick alot cause i am 6 foot 5 and have long legs

:asian:

Latest Discussions