What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so are blueberries. Wouldnā€™t want them on my pizza. But you do you. If you like it, knock yourself out. šŸ¤£
I donā€™t think the palates of US citizenā€™s are particularly known, world-wide, for their sophistication. We in the U.K., on the other hand, have sheepā€™s stomachs filled with spicy offal (haggis), the boiled lining of cowā€™s intestine (tripe), short-crust pastry parcels filled with various ā€˜meatsā€™ not otherwise fit for human consumption (pies and pasties), fried eggs, bacon, sausages, fried blood pudding and tomatoes (ā€˜full Englishā€™) and, of course, McDonalds! šŸ˜‰

Thank goodness Iā€™m a vegetarian!

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I donā€™t think the palates of US citizenā€™s are particularly known, world-wide, for their sophistication.

Haha. Says the Brit. If itā€™s not boiled or deep fried, I guarantee youā€™ve over baked it. šŸ˜…

Being serious, though, the USA is a very big place. If you eat local wherever you go, youā€™ll be well fed. Salmon, halibut, and crab in Seattle, shrimp on the gulf coast, Cajun food in Louisiana and so on. We have a lot of really good food. Just need to know how to ask.
We in the U.K., on the other hand, have sheepā€™s stomachs filled with spicy offal (haggis), the boiled lining of cowā€™s intestine (tripe), short-crust pastry parcels filled with various ā€˜meatsā€™ not otherwise fit for human consumption (pies and pasties), fried eggs, bacon, sausages, fried blood pudding and tomatoes (ā€˜full Englishā€™) and, of course, McDonalds! šŸ˜‰

Best food in the UK is Indian food. You ask an average Brit where to go for a ā€œlocalā€ meal and theyā€™ll send you to the Indian restaurant. šŸ˜‚

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. Says the Brit. If itā€™s not boiled or deep fried, I guarantee youā€™ve over baked it. šŸ˜…

Being serious, though, the USA is a very big place. If you eat local wherever you go, youā€™ll be well fed. Salmon, halibut, and crab in Seattle, shrimp on the gulf coast, Cajun food in Louisiana and so on. We have a lot of really good food. Just need to know how to ask.

Best food in the UK is Indian food. You ask an average Brit where to go for a ā€œlocalā€ meal and theyā€™ll send you to the Indian restaurant. šŸ˜‚
I was being ironic about the quality of British food, Steve. I shall be more explicit next time.

As a Briton of Indian ancestry , I can assure you that most ā€˜Indianā€™ food available here is pretty dire...in fact, I very rarely go to Indian restaurants except in Leicester and Southall (London)

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was being ironic about the quality of British food, Steve. I shall be more explicit next time.

As a Briton of Indian ancestry , I can assure you that most ā€˜Indianā€™ food available here is pretty dire...in fact, I very rarely go to Indian restaurants except in Leicester and Southall (London)
Hard sometimes to pick up sarcasm on a forum post. Sorry about that. Most of my sarcasm just gets me in trouble around here anyway. šŸ˜…

We had some decent Indian food in London and found a couple of places with a good Sunday roast. But most of the food we ate was just okay, at best.

But yeah, I can talk about food all day long. Love a good meal.

I live in a diverse neighborhood. Neighbors from Ethiopia, Iran, India, and then several who are from different parts of America. We eat well. A lot of great food and the neighborhood potlucks are pretty amazing.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard sometimes to pick up sarcasm on a forum post. Sorry about that. Most of my sarcasm just gets me in trouble around here anyway. šŸ˜…

We had some decent Indian food in London and found a couple of places with a good Sunday roast. But most of the food we ate was just okay, at best.

But yeah, I can talk about food all day long. Love a good meal.

I live in a diverse neighborhood. Neighbors from Ethiopia, Iran, India, and then several who are from different parts of America. We eat well. A lot of great food and the neighborhood potlucks are pretty amazing.
Iā€™dā€™ve thought the descriptions of traditional British food would be sufficient to turn your stomach!šŸ¤¢

Since the end of lockdown, I think many middle-priced, chain restaurants standardā€™s have dropped drastically. Being a vegetarian, my choices are limited but I am not that fussy (I dislikes cooked carrots and despise coriander/celantro) but tasteless, badly prepared food is not acceptable. So I eat out once every couple of months or so and with some trepidation šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø No wonder restaurants are going bust all the time.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Iā€™dā€™ve thought the descriptions of traditional British food would be sufficient to turn your stomach!šŸ¤¢

Since the end of lockdown, I think many middle-priced, chain restaurants standardā€™s have dropped drastically. Being a vegetarian, my choices are limited but I am not that fussy (I dislikes cooked carrots and despise coriander/celantro) but tasteless, badly prepared food is not acceptable. So I eat out once every couple of months or so and with some trepidation šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø No wonder restaurants are going bust all the time.
My family was very poor, so eating tripe and tendon doesnā€™t bother me at all. I actually made a point of looking for haggis in Glasgow and Edinburgh and had a hard time finding it anywhere. We found some but it was overly salty and Iā€™m pretty sure it wasnā€™t a good representation.

I donā€™t make a lot of sweet breads or liver anymore but if you ever come over, Iā€™m sure I can do it justice.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I donā€™t think the palates of US citizenā€™s are particularly known, world-wide, for their sophistication. We in the U.K., on the other hand, have sheepā€™s stomachs filled with spicy offal (haggis), the boiled lining of cowā€™s intestine (tripe), short-crust pastry parcels filled with various ā€˜meatsā€™ not otherwise fit for human consumption (pies and pasties), fried eggs, bacon, sausages, fried blood pudding and tomatoes (ā€˜full Englishā€™) and, of course, McDonalds! šŸ˜‰

šŸ¤£

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
so are blueberries. Wouldnā€™t want them on my pizza. But you do you. If you like it, knock yourself out. šŸ¤£
It was tasty ..just passed it out about an hour ago šŸ¤£
My family was very poor, so eating tripe and tendon doesnā€™t bother me at all. I actually made a point of looking for haggis in Glasgow and Edinburgh and had a hard time finding it anywhere. We found some but it was overly salty and Iā€™m pretty sure it wasnā€™t a good representation.

I donā€™t make a lot of sweet breads or liver anymore but if you ever come over, Iā€™m sure I can do it justice.
My father was a butcher & made haggis, sausages..etc. Was lucky in the respect I never went hungry although I've never been a huge eater

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I lived in Scotland for many years and you can get good Indian food up there! Salty haggis? Thatā€™ll be cover the taste of petrifying pig hearts!šŸ¤¢

On my first evening in Scotland as a student, I went to the local takeaway for a small pizza. They loaded the base with nice ingredient, placed in in a wired basket and put it in the deep fat fryer šŸ˜³ The result was disgusting and tasted of the pakora/onion beak is that had been fried in the oil previously!

And to preempt further posts, at that time (1991) I only found one takeaway that battered and deep-fried Mars Bars, Crunchies etc and I think it was a bit of a gimmick for the new students!

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And to preempt further posts, at that time (1991) I only found one takeaway that battered and deep-fried Mars Bars, Crunchies etc and I think it was a bit of a gimmick for the new students!
You never visited my local chippy. None of that rubbish. Good old school food.
Indeed a small chinese take away cooked bananas in batter. I found that disgusting

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score

When I was young, I worked at meat market on the live end (kill floor). Weekly, we had two German families who would come get the beef stomachs and sometimes pork stomachs. Literally rummaged them out of 55-gallon drums among the rest of the innards the same day they were slaughtered. Having lived rural and semi-subsistent I never thought much of it. But glad I never wanted to do that eighter.
I asked one day why they were taking them, and they said "delikatesse". I figured out what it means.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I lived in Scotland for many years and you can get good Indian food up there! Salty haggis? Thatā€™ll be cover the taste of petrifying pig hearts!šŸ¤¢

On my first evening in Scotland as a student, I went to the local takeaway for a small pizza. They loaded the base with nice ingredient, placed in in a wired basket and put it in the deep fat fryer šŸ˜³ The result was disgusting and tasted of the pakora/onion beak is that had been fried in the oil previously!

We have a sub-set ofā€¦ food in the USA. Itā€™s often referred to as fair food (though I still think fair fare is better). Itā€™s basically deep fried anything. Fried ice cream, fried candy bars, you name it. Iā€™ve even seen deep fried butter. šŸ˜³šŸ˜¬

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You never visited my local chippy. None of that rubbish. Good old school food.
Indeed a small chinese take away cooked bananas in batter. I found that disgusting
The chippy. Just watched that episode of Derry Girls again. Man thatā€™s a funny show.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The chippy. Just watched that episode of Derry Girls again. Man thatā€™s a funny show.
the strangest thing i saw was a guy i knew who when we visited the local chippy would ask to drink the Vinegar from a big jar where pickled eggs were in. If it was empty he would drink the vinegar... itĀ“s giving me acid reflux just thinking about it.
the chippy owner was a nice old guy & i remember his amazment at him drinking it in front of him.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a sub-set ofā€¦ food in the USA. Itā€™s often referred to as fair food (though I still think fair fare is better). Itā€™s basically deep fried anything. Fried ice cream, fried candy bars, you name it. Iā€™ve even seen deep fried butter. šŸ˜³šŸ˜¬
As fat Joey Tribbiani once said ā€œAhhh, fried stuff with cheeseā€

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
- I hate any form of runny eggs. All of them. Those nasty sunny side up eggs with the in tact yokes? :vomit:

You also get weird dishes where people will have a raw egg on top...? Que the Gordon Ramsay 'It's flocking raw!'. I always cook mine through. Not overcooked, but definitely not runny.

- Most kids look weird. I can't go through the grocery store without some goblin staring at me. Ever so quietly staring, never blinking. I'm weird myself, but I don't stand out in a crowd. Weird little gremlin.

- I enjoy waking up early in the morning. Between the hours of 5am and 6am. I don't meet morning people a lot so this feels like a unpopular opinion. I get a lot of stuff done in the morning and I usually get all my work done before 2pm so I got the rest of the day to do whatever I want.

- bacon is overrated. It is. I like it, I cook with it, and it's great! But some people put that stuff on WAY too many things. Bacon on pizza is almost as silly as pineapple on pizza

- and another thing! I think some people throw way too many toppings on a pizza anyways.

Pizza with tons of different meats. You got a whole zoo on your pizza

Fruit on pizza. Why don't we just throw a whole entire fruit salad on it as well

I like my pizza simple. Sometimes I just want plain cheese pizza. If the person making the pizza knows what they're doing, even a plain cheese pizza can turn out great.

If I want more than a cheese pizza I can get a side dish. No need to throw your entire meal on your pizza. That being said... I have tried a pizza with mushrooms, olives, and pepperoni and it was pretty cool! I don't hate toppings, I just really like cheese pizza and think some toppings are weird. Chocolate pizza can go straight to the deepest darkest abyss and if people want that stuff they can crawl into the abyss far away from civilized society.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I get a lot of stuff done in the morning and I usually get all my work done before 2pm so I got the rest of the day to do whatever I want.
this is actually good, Bill Pearl (RIP) who passed recently would rise at 4am to train in his home gym & said the same thing to me on the phone..

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
- I hate any form of runny eggs. All of them. Those nasty sunny side up eggs with the in tact yokes? :vomit:

You also get weird dishes where people will have a raw egg on top...? Que the Gordon Ramsay 'It's flocking raw!'. I always cook mine through. Not overcooked, but definitely not runny.
You're overcooking them. Absolutely. It's like steak. There are 5 degrees of doneness:
1 - Rare
2 - Medium Rare
3 - Wait, what are you doing?
4 - For gods sake stop!
5 - Order the chicken, you steak hating monster.
- I enjoy waking up early in the morning. Between the hours of 5am and 6am. I don't meet morning people a lot so this feels like a unpopular opinion. I get a lot of stuff done in the morning and I usually get all my work done before 2pm so I got the rest of the day to do whatever I want.
You, sir, are a monster.
Pizza with tons of different meats. You got a whole zoo on your pizza
Think of it as a petting zoo...

Latest Discussions