Whats your carry knife and how do you carry it?

kip42

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I currently carry a Kershaw speed safe tanto half serrerated in the rear pocket of my dominate hand. Sometimes I carry a Crkt M21-14SFG in my weak hand front pocket. What do you carry, where do you carry it and why?

I cant find a satisfatory carry knife that is strong, 4 inches, tanto, half serrated, with a lock BETTER than a linear lock. I will keep looking and hope to eventully find something.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I currently carry a Kershaw speed safe tanto half serrerated in the rear pocket of my dominate hand. Sometimes I carry a Crkt M21-14SFG in my weak hand front pocket. What do you carry, where do you carry it and why?

I cant find a satisfatory carry knife that is strong, 4 inches, tanto, half serrated, with a lock BETTER than a linear lock. I will keep looking and hope to eventully find something.
I carry a 3 inch Gerber folding partially serrated and it's in the right rear pocket. If need be I can get it out and open in less than a second.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I carry a Benchmade AutoStryker, in either my right hip or right front pocket of my jeans, or trhe right hip of my flight suit.

I carry it because it's a useful tool.

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
I carry a Kershaw in my right front pocket.I practice drawing and opening and I prefer the non serrated edge.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
On hot days I carry a 4 inch triple sided stileto dagger in my hair and I usually carry a curved box cutter knife on my key chain. Sorry I'm not good with knife names, I just carry them. I also have another 2 inch knife in my purse. A girl can't be too careful. :uhyeah:

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My regular knife is SOG Flash II that I carry in my right front pants pocket on its clip but every once in a while I will swap it out for one of the other knives I carry.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
... and I prefer the non serrated edge.

Curious to your reasons as I prefer to cause as much damage as possible to my attacker, hence the serrated edge... also the serrations have their applications for a tool as well... which is what I call my knife... a tool.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Curious to your reasons as I prefer to cause as much damage as possible to my attacker, hence the serrated edge... also the serrations have their applications for a tool as well... which is what I call my knife... a tool.

I can't speak for harold, but I prefer a plain-edge also. My reasons are that, IME, serrations "saw" rather than slice which makes for a rough, imprecise cut. They also tend to snag on fibrous material.
Serrated edges are fine if you're cutting a lot of heavy rope/strap/whatever (I carried one when I worked construction/maintenance). For general use though, I prefer a plain-edge. Granted, I keep mine much sharper than most people do. If one can't sharpen a knife, a serrated edge might be a better choice.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
At work I carry a Benchmade Presario auto opener in my left pocket, non-serrated. I carry a Benchmade Stryker with partial serrated edge in my right pocket.

I also keep a non-serrated Ka-Bar TDI on my inner-belt on my left side, support side draw, as a defense against a gun grab, or whatever else might require quick access of a sharp fixed blade.

Serrated versus non-serrated I make the decision based on if it will be a general utility knife or a straight defensive blade. Serration makes for added utility. For a fighting blade, however, a very sharp non-serrated edge is what seems to be called for. Less chance of snagging on clothing, for one thing.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ka-Bar, partly serrated, in the computer bag or lashed to the backpack.

Shin71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I carry whatever is handy, I have a few, but the only really nice (expensive) ones I have are a SOG and a Spyderco (Police). In the field I have a Cold Steel Hunter II fixed blade that is dire need of love and care; I picked it up at a gargage sale and the guy told me he bought it for hunter and tried to sharpen it himself...... he did not do a good job, the finish is a mess and I think he tried using a a grinder on the edge....

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I preffer a straight edge because they`re easier to resharpen than a serrated edge. That being said I carry a 1/2 serrated Benchmade because when I bought it the plain edge was unavailable.

Right hand front pocket without a clip. Looks more like a casual tool that way and others can`t see that I`m carrying.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I carry whatever is handy, I have a few, but the only really nice (expensive) ones I have are a SOG and a Spyderco (Police). In the field I have a Cold Steel Hunter II fixed blade that is dire need of love and care; I picked it up at a gargage sale and the guy told me he bought it for hunter and tried to sharpen it himself...... he did not do a good job, the finish is a mess and I think he tried using a a grinder on the edge....

First, I love what you said about carrying what`s handy. I worked for 7 years in the custom shop at Busse Combat Knife Company making knives. People always asked what model to buy, and I`d try to stear them to the best size for the kind of work they said they wanted to do with it. But when they asked "What`s the best knife for wilderness survival" or "What`s the best knife for self defense" my answer was always the same. The one you have with you when you need it.

I`d be careful with that hunter. If he didn`t keep the blade cool when he used the grinder on it he may have burned the temper out of the edge and made it brittle. If so you may be more likely to chip the edge if you do any heavy chopping.

redhawk44357

White Belt
Reaction score
My normally go-to knife is a Gerber covert folder. i have two, both set for tip down front pocket carry. One for each hand. Someimtes i carry a BM folder in my wallet pocket when drawn comes out in a reverse grip.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Depends on how I'm dressed, and where I'm going.

Most days, I carry a Kershaw Ken Leek-smooth edge, front pocket, dominant hand. It's DOE compliant (blade less than 3.5") and a useful work tool, most of the time. I also carry another just like clipped to my wallet, which I usually keep in an inside pocket on a jacket, but sometimes carry in a cargo pocket on my pants. This goes way back to my mugging, only then it was a pen: the intent is to act as though I'm handing over the wallet, but have the knife in my hand as well.There's also usually a Mont Blanc pen, especially if I'm going somewhere I can't carry a knife, like I'm flying.

I don't really care for the steel quality of Kershaw's, but they're cheap-I usually trash them pretty well and replace them every coupla years.

Last edited:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tend to favour a big machete , but on occasion will use whatever is lying around such as axes , chainsaws etc.

fridaythe13thremake.jpg

kiai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would love to carry a knife, simply to deter a mugger (common in my area), I wouldn't actually want to use it - but I'd be far too paranoid around police. Once again, the police doing yet another disservice to my safety and harmless way of life.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would love to carry a knife, simply to deter a mugger (common in my area), I wouldn't actually want to use it - but I'd be far too paranoid around police. Once again, the police doing yet another disservice to my safety and harmless way of life.
Unless it's illegal for you to carry a knife (or the knife you want to carry is illegal) then go ahead and carry it anyway. You will eventually become desensitized and you nerves will go away.

IOW, it's not the cops fault that you feel nervous.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

kiai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Unless it's illegal for you to carry a knife (or the knife you want to carry is illegal) then go ahead and carry it anyway. You will eventually become desensitized and you nerves will go away.

IOW, it's not the cops fault that you feel nervous.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Well, it is the cops' fault - because if I get found with it, they'll most likely sling me in prison or at least give me a record and ruin any chances of having a career.

In the UK it is illegal to be carrying them; if that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be worrying about the cops in the first place :)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, it is the cops' fault - because if I get found with it, they'll most likely sling me in prison or at least give me a record and ruin any chances of having a career.

In the UK it is illegal to be carrying them; if that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be worrying about the cops in the first place :)
Then it's not the fault of the cops. Blame properly lies with first the Lawmakers and Politicians for enacting the laws and second with the Voters who put them there and then allowed (even encouraged) them to make said laws.

Cops are the "Tail" end of the problem, not the "Tooth" end.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions