What's In A Name?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever so true. Parents really need to be careful, and for the most part are, when choosing a suitable name for their little ones. There have been times, where in later years, names have been charged "to protect the innocent". :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the USA, anyone with the name "John Wayne" in their given name is going to commit some horrific crimes. Just the way it is.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, 'Sue' for a boy.

[video=youtube_share;WOHPuY88Ry4]http://youtu.be/WOHPuY88Ry4[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been there done this one, even got the mental scars to prove it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, what wrong with Tez???:uhyeah:

It's my nickname in certain places lol, people think it's the Cockney shortening of Terry but it's actually Terribly Eager Zionist, was given that at Uni for probably obvious reasons.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My name is Sean, and grade school kids tend to call you Scenery when you spell your name like I do. I am about to cry right now. It was just plain mean. ;)

Scener... er I mean Sean

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My name is Sean, and grade school kids tend to call you Scenery when you spell your name like I do. I am about to cry right now. It was just plain mean. ;)

Scener... er I mean Sean

You could try fooling them by spelling it properly.... Seán. In Gaelic it would sound like 'shan'

It's quite a common male name here, so I can't think that anyone would bother trying to turn it into anything else.

I'd say however it's better than being called 'dirty Jew' which I've had quite a bit.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In the USA, anyone with the name "John Wayne" in their given name is going to commit some horrific crimes. Just the way it is.

Ionce new a guy from China whose name was Jung Wey but a lot of Americans called him John Wayne because they thought that was what he was saying....does that count :D

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say however it's better than being called 'dirty Jew' which I've had quite a bit.

I am saddened to hear that, Tez - how very medieval of them :(

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, please, crybabies. My last name. Look at it. Think about the one word which every school child instantly thought of, and wonder if they tried it out on me. The answer would be yes. Oooh, devastating. I don't know how I shall go on. I must go off somewhere in a corner and have a good cry now. Or, you know, not.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
George Carlin the comedian said about names something like
I bet 9 out of 10 times Vinnie,Tony, and Nicky can beat up
Noah, Dylan,and Landon.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
north, south east (west), no it's WES.

For ever and a day it goes on and on. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was in court one day, a few years back, when the judge read the defendant's name, and immediately stopped, asked if it was a joke. It wasn't; the young lady was Asian -- I think Vietnamese or Korean. Her name, as Her Honor read it, sounded as if the judge was stating that she performed ********. The judge proceeded to lecture the young lady, who barely spoke enough English to get the ticket, for several minutes about the inappropriateness of her name, and how she should change it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was in court one day, a few years back, when the judge read the defendant's name, and immediately stopped, asked if it was a joke. It wasn't; the young lady was Asian -- I think Vietnamese or Korean. Her name, as Her Honor read it, sounded as if the judge was stating that she performed ********. The judge proceeded to lecture the young lady, who barely spoke enough English to get the ticket, for several minutes about the inappropriateness of her name, and how she should change it.

How unfortunate. The problem wasn't the name, it was the judge.
I know physicians whose names are Hooker, Hor and Ho. I've always said that they ought to have gone into a GYN practice together...

Latest Discussions