Job losses are now beginning...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We voted for this...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/nov/8/picket-companies-plan-massive-layoffs-obamacare-be/

has put together a list of companies that will be laying of employees as a result of President Barack Obama's health care law:[/URL]

I could list some of the companies from the article...but who would care. It is a figment of the imagination, or it isn't really a result of obamacare and obama being re-elected. Experience is the best teacher, and some people around the country are about to be schooled in how to destroy an economy...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Job losses are not 'beginning', they are continuing. Our economy is in the toilet, remember?

http://www.bls.gov/mls/

Mass Layoffs (Monthly)
October 23, 2012
In September, employers took 1,316 mass layoff actions involving 122,462 workers.

In the third quarter of 2012, 885 extended mass layoff events involved 138,484 worker separations, both measures were down from third quarter 2011.

http://www.bls.gov/schedule/archives/mmls_nr.htm

Now, given that mass layoffs are the new normal and NOT just a knee-jerk reaction to the re-election of President Obama, is the right answer to this problem refusing to compromise with the Democrats and the White House on the expiration of the Bush tax cuts and the 'sequestration' issue that will both kick in on Jan 1, 2013 and utterly doom our economy to an instant plunge back into deep recession?

You tell me that these layoffs are bad; if the GOP doesn't suck it up and make nice with the Democrats prior to December 31st, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Point and period.

Oh dear, the sky is falling. The Antichrist has ascended the throne and is farting brimstone on all the widows and orphans. Oh dear.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you keep harping on raising taxes. It doesn't matter how high the taxes are raised the democrats are going to keep spending. We don't have a tax problem, we have a spending problem. If you give them their tax increase, they aren't going to use that money to fix the problem. They are going to take that money and reward their friends, and buy more power. In a real world, the world we live in, if you maxed out all of your credit cards, and emptied your bank account, sure, making more money and cutting back on your spending would one day get you out of the hole. In the world of washington, taxes are not going to be used to fix the problem and they are going to keep spending money. It is the democrats who are the problem, you just don't want to see it. Remember, Reagan fell for that too. They wanted tax increases, he wanted spending cuts. He gave them the increases in taxes, they never gave him the spending cuts, been there, done that.

Besides, obama wants the sequestration, it guts the military, and gives him another thing to blame on the republicans. He also wants the economy to collapse. It fits his view of the world.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
companies will continue to employ and hire if people are buying what they have period. Any company stupid enough to lay off people just out of spite over Obama care deserves to loose business to another company. The problem is the 1% and the banks hording trillions of dollars in cash refusing to ease credit which fuel purchases by all those people that want things!!! The banks get money from the fed for 0% loan it out at 3% to 21% businesses cannot get capital to expand some to even operate? 6 trillion dollars beig tie up like brats because they cannot get what they want

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not out of spite...it is because they now have to factor in the reality of obamacare and how they are going to deal with it. Add to that the increase in energy costs because obama is going to go after coal, oil and gas, which means everything touched by gas is going to cost more, and energy to heat and cool your buildings is going to cost more, if it doesn't go into brown and blackouts in the future, and you are going to see a lot more lay offs and more people put on part time. Many companies are trying to get their full time work force under 50 employees because that is the threshold for obamacare mandates.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you keep harping on raising taxes. It doesn't matter how high the taxes are raised the democrats are going to keep spending. We don't have a tax problem, we have a spending problem.

We have a both problem. We cannot cut a trillion-dollar a year deficit by cutting spending or cutting taxes alone. Both have to happen. That's why I am harping on it.

I am also harping on it because of the upcoming fiscal cliff. As I keep saying, if the GOP drags its feet or refuses to go along with the Democrats in crafting a compromise, the Bush tax cuts expire automatically at the end of the year, and the sequestration cuts to everything except entitlement spending kick in automatically. This is us, in a handcart, heading straight toward the cliff. Off the cliff is economic disaster for our country. If you do not 'get' that, I really don't know what else to say. It's self-evident.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So,according to the CBO, the Democratic priorities do more to help the economy,and the Republican priorities do less. The 700,000 figure cited by the HouseSpeaker has no basis in reality at all.
MaybeRepublicans will try to suppressthis, too?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you keep harping on raising taxes. It doesn't matter how high the taxes are raised the democrats are going to keep spending. We don't have a tax problem, we have a spending problem. If you give them their tax increase, they aren't going to use that money to fix the problem.

No. We have a tax and spending problem. We have an insanely complex tax code (even the people that run it can't guarantee to give the proper answer to questions!) that favors certain types of profit by not declaring them income. Of course, that sort of non-taxed income is only available at the top of the pile. We have a lot of people who somehow don't meet the minimum tax levels, either. So... the majority of the tax burden is falling on the folks in the middle. Whose job opportunities have been shrinking as their real wages have been falling.

Meanwhile, we've got a government that's been hemorrhaging money, between the military, entitlements, desperate stimulus acts, and simple weirdness or pork.

Put that mix together, and, lo and behold... we have a mess.

Let's all push our Congress members and the President to drop the partisan ******** and bullheadedness, accept that they won't make everyone happy, and DO THEIR DAMN JOBS!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
companies will continue to employ and hire if people are buying what they have

I continue to be surprised that people have other theories...but then, my grandfather had his own small business so maybe my viewpoint is different.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Price of war: future generations shoulder Bush legacy
Date
November 10, 2012 - 12:22AM
Read later
Paul McGeough

ANALYSIS

GEORGE W. BUSH rated barely a mention in the race for the White House but his legacy lingers in any attempt to wrestle with Washington's record budget deficit – now at a dizzying $US16trillion.

In a graphic presentation by the Centre on Budget Policy and Priorities, the impact of the Bush policies on national debt in the coming years is represented by bands of blue and gold. One is a near constant over the years — the borrowing for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Another, which yawns into the future like a bugle, depicts the Bush tax cuts – which also went on the national credit card.

Here, Bush made history – not only did he wage wars in the aftermath of the September 11, 2011, attacks on New York and Washington without raising taxes to fund them, he implemented juicy tax cuts, instructing Americans to go shopping or to take their families to Disney World.

It was too good to last, and as Bush quit the White House, the US economy was on the brink of collapse. Andrew Bacevich, a professor of history at Boston University, wrote at the time: "The 2008 election finds the Pentagon cupboard bare, the US Treasury depleted, the economy in disarray and the average American household feeling acute distress. Profligacy at home and profligacy abroad have combined to produce a grave crisis."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/price-o...bush-legacy-20121109-293h4.html#ixzz2BmUVPyc7
From today's paper. Seems obvious to me that The US problem was all caused by Obama .... not!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so,according to the cbo, the democratic priorities do more to help the economy,and the republican priorities do less. The 700,000 figure cited by the housespeaker has no basis in reality at all.
mayberepublicans will try to suppressthis, too?

omg shout much?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
omg shout much?

Maybe all of us could just stop fonting at each other for a bit. We can discuss this without resorting to colors and large type, I think. Not just directed at you, I mean everyone. A little bold and italics goes a long way. Maybe caps now and again. Some emoticons can add spice. :)

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Arnisador, I'll defer to you on where it came from :) It is the same type of math that 2 + 2 = 4.

Something missing from that vid is that countries while in a recession often run a deficet to help pull themselves out of it. We've done it in the past...under presidents such as both Bushes and even Ronald Reagan. As a nation our taxes are the lowest percentage wise since the 1950's (Eisenhower administration). Our spending, as percentage of GDP towards the top end. So it makes sense to reduce our spending but also increase our income through taxation. Thinking we can do one or the other to get ourselves out of this hole that we dug is not realistic. That is why Grover's pledge that all these Republicans are sticking to is so harmful. It is not based in reality, and negatively effects the governance and future of our country. It wqs and always has been a political gimmick.

Latest Discussions