What would you give?

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think I posted this elsewhere years ago.

Think of all the things you experienced in martial arts over the years.
Now think of all the injuries you have had and are still carrying around with you.
The question is...

If you could not have had and currently carry the injuries you received thanks to martial arts, but the price for all that lack of pain would be to never have experienced all the wonderful things you saw and did, would you take the blissful lack of pain or would you keep the experiences?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can I take a rain check and let you know in another 15 years? :p

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me it's the injuries that I carry into the future hold the heavier price. My knees are shot. I can still walk but the older I get it gets more difficult. At some point the injuries and age will prevent me from doing the one thing I love, MA.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When the time comes that I can't move well enough to do what I do, I'm going to fully embrace Tai-chi and try to steal a decade more into training. Until then, I'm still going to hit things. Like everyone else, I have the "residuals" of many injuries, but man, have I had a blast.

But it's an interesting question because we all have our price. I've put in a lot of hours....so, I guess it would depend on what all those hours spent training would be filled with instead.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's funny that you started this thread. I was just thinking tonight on my way home from work how I wish I could go back and undo a couple of old injuries.

But I saw the writing on the wall some 20 years ago and quit the hard style kung fu I was practicing and changed over to Wing Tsun. It has been much easier on the body, but it too is not without its share of injuries.

All in all, would I give them up if I could? nah, I'll hang on to them and consider them badges of honor.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
The pain is worth the effort. It is like an investment. A little bit of pain in training now saves a lot of pain getting beaten up without martial arts training in the future.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure I would even give up my injuries free of price, they sure taught me a LOT. On the other hand I never sustained any major ones either...

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When the time comes that I can't move well enough to do what I do, I'm going to fully embrace Tai-chi and try to steal a decade more into training. Until then, I'm still going to hit things. Like everyone else, I have the "residuals" of many injuries, but man, have I had a blast.

But it's an interesting question because we all have our price. I've put in a lot of hours....so, I guess it would depend on what all those hours spent training would be filled with instead.
Amigo, you took the words right out of my mouth. I've had to overcome rheumatoid arthritis during my years in Taekwondo and that's just been a blast, let me tell you.

However, I met the love of my life through Taekwondo and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Amigo, you took the words right out of my mouth. I've had to overcome rheumatoid arthritis during my years in Taekwondo and that's just been a blast, let me tell you.

However, I met the love of my life through Taekwondo and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Oh, heck, I forgot about that. Met my gal in 78, it was love at first uppercut. Guess I wouldn't change anything. (especially while she's looking over my shoulder right now)

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beyond the standard muscle pulls, bruises, black eyes, and broken nose etc. I've been very blessed to not have to many serious injuries over the years. Martial Arts have given me so much.... I can't imagine who I would have grown into without them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You can get injured in martial arts :jaw-dropping: who knew....

I have had MA related injuries but I think I have actually had worse injuries outside of martial arts so.... can I have money for those instead :D

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hell Ill keep my injuries along with the: memories of friends, enemies, experiences, and knowledge. would I prefer not to have some of the injuries YES but they all came with memories for one reason or another

Latest Discussions