what would cause one to be demoted ?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had my belt taken away in taekwondo years ago. For signing my own attendance card. You were supposed to put your attendance card in a little box, then the instructor (or, often, assistant instructor, though technically it was supposed to be the proper instructor) would initial them all.

I forgot regularly to put mine in. Then I initialed mine later at home. Got caught and lost my belt.

Mind you, I WAS the assistant instructor. So initially everyone else's card was alright. Initially my own (despite only initially for classes I actually had attended) wasn't on.

Took my belt and sent me back out to the rest of the class. Very traumatic. Took a long time to live down.

Of course, that was two decades ago and neither here nor there now. But at the time, I thought I'd die of shame.

Stuart

Well that sucks. Bet you learned you're lesson. ;)

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well that sucks. Bet you learned you're lesson. ;)

Moot point, really. Never again attended a school that used the card system. (Not deliberately, mind you.)

I knew I wasn't supposed to do that, to be perfectly honest. But given that I initialed other people's cards and that I hadn't given myself credit for anything I hadn't actually done, I didn't think it would be as big a deal as it turned out to be.

Anyway you cut it, it was pretty traumatizing at the time. Wandering around with no belt when everyone knew you'd been a... whatever belt before. (I can't remember what level I was when this happened. But I was an assistant instructor, so presumably it was one of the higher ones.)

My dumb.

Stuart

Latest Discussions