what would bruce lee say to home trainers?

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I really want to join an mma school....I would love some guidance on my kicking....and I would love to have more sparring partners....I only have one right now....but the times of the classes are truly hard for me right now....with two small kids at home I want to bathe them and feed them and put them to bed.....so for 5 years now I have just been practicing and practicing through dvd karate teaching...books, online muay thai tutorials etc. what would lee say to home-trainers? I have read a snippet of tao of jkd, and am finishing up his fighting methods book,......I THINK he might say train wherever you can....at home, in the park,....at a dojo......but have the proper mentality and make martial arts your personal culture so you can see the world through this lens....any thoughts?? I am not trying to disregard the fact that I need a dojo.

aaradia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think trying to project what a guy who has been dead for decades would say is kinda silly. Especially using that to get some sense of validation. Guessing what Bruce Lee would say is just that - a guess.

And Bruce Lee is not the be all and end all of MA either.

MantisTLK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Aaradia! Idolizing Bruce Lee is fine, I do it all the time, he was a great martial artist, but I get a little tired of people trying to be Mr. Lee. (Not that i'm implying Martial Sparrer is) Lee is incredible for what he did for himself, he took what he needed from what he had and pushed himself as close to perfection as he could. Lee should be an example for all of us not because he invented a system or because he's "the father of mma" or whatever you want to say; but because he chose his path and followed it to the end.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sadly, I'm afraid you will have to wait for your childrento be older before you can join a gym, unless their hours change.
I’m not the hugest fan of Bruce Lee. I think he did a lotof great things, but I disagree with much of what he believes. If you want towalk in his footsteps though, I think he would be fine with the idea of yougetting a taste from some kind of at home course, so long as you realize thatthe best you get out of such things are just the surface of what you arelooking at.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not the biggest fan of Lee either, but I believe he said the following: "Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do."

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MS, I would suggest going to a training centre and having a discussion with the trainer there. Explain your circumstances and see if you can come to some kind of arrangement so you can attend perhaps once every couple of weeks, maybe for a private lesson, so they can at least see your form and give you corrections. That way, you can get the advice you need in order to avoid building bad (and at worst dangerous) habits into your training and form. It's difficult to see your faults training alone, you need a seasoned eye to help you.

I think Bruce would tell you that you need a solid base to work from before you can get the most out of training alone.

enthusiast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
how old are your children? if you want you can ask a a private trainer. if your children are old enough, you can also start their martial arts early.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
If your children are old enough, you can also start their martial arts early.

I highly recommend this if you can find a school that has a schedule that works out. The dojo I go to allows mixed classes, so I'm able to train alongside my three children (7, 8, 9 years old). It's a very nice way for us to have several hours of quality time together each week, and we can work on kata and kihon together at home, sometimes they'll join me in some conditioning workouts, we'll have impromptu sparring practice in the living room. It's a great way to spend time together as a family.

Unfortunately, many schools force families to split up into the pee-wee, juniors, seniors classes. I think that's a big mistake.

Maybe you can find a school where you can all train together.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really want to join an mma school....I would love some guidance on my kicking....and I would love to have more sparring partners....I only have one right now....but the times of the classes are truly hard for me right now....with two small kids at home I want to bathe them and feed them and put them to bed.....so for 5 years now I have just been practicing and practicing through dvd karate teaching...books, online muay thai tutorials etc. what would lee say to home-trainers? I have read a snippet of tao of jkd, and am finishing up his fighting methods book,......I THINK he might say train wherever you can....at home, in the park,....at a dojo......but have the proper mentality and make martial arts your personal culture so you can see the world through this lens....any thoughts?? I am not trying to disregard the fact that I need a dojo.

What would Bruce say? I think he'd say that home training is essential... and that teaching yourself at home is a recipe for disaster and stunted development. Personally, though, I prefer a quote from Musashi... "Amateur martial arts are a source of serious injury".

enthusiast

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What would Bruce say? I think he'd say that home training is essential... and that teaching yourself at home is a recipe for disaster and stunted development. Personally, though, I prefer a quote from Musashi... "Amateur martial arts are a source of serious injury".

true. there are things that videos can't tell you.like your form is wrong, your hand is wrong, your breathing is wrong your escape is wrong etc. but having a teacher who knows the in and outs of the techniques is the only way you can train martial arts, which is why I say you hire a private trainer(who has a decent credential) to teach you at home.

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
I prefer a quote from Musashi... "Amateur martial arts are a source of serious injury".

Personally I think amateur home-self-taught martial arts are great. I've found hours of entertainment on YouTube thanks to this phenomenon.

Latest Discussions