What Was The Most Dangerous Situation In Your Life You’ve Ever Been Involved In?

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What was the Most Dangerous Situation in your life you’ve ever been involved in? Do you think you handled it well and what would you have done differently in hindsight?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
What was the Most Dangerous Situation in your life you’ve ever been involved in? Do you think you handled it well and what would you have done differently in hindsight?
It would have to be this really bad car wreck that I was in where I was almost killed. There was nothing I could've done to handle it any better or worse since it was outside my control. The only way I survived was by just being extremely lucky.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've had 3 widowmaker heart attacks. Did I handle it well? I'm still here. I've been shot at (luckily not shot), had a tire iron thrown at my head during a gang fight outside an Irish mafia bar, rolled a car 3 times and walked away with a scratch on my wrist from my watch, fallen off of cars (drunken youth), fallen out of cars ( when I was 6 , no seat belts back in the day). What would I do differently? Listen to my mother and wear clean underwear.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, there's been a few.

But walking down the aisle....that's real danger, right there, you betcha'.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That depends on what you consider dangerous. Is it the situation that was closest to death, or the one that felt closest to death, or considering other things more dangerous.
As a teen, I had an ongoing joke that if I didn't have at least a few near-death experiences that year, I did something wrong. But I'll narrow it down to 3 'dangerous' situations.
1. A car accident I was in a few years ago. A car blew a light with black ice on the road. I, in a toyota camry, had to swerve to the right to avoid hitting it as it continued on, and got caught in a patch of ice. This caused my car to flip around on the turnpike, I smashed into a snowbank head first, and a truck came along and t-boned me. Somehow I'm still alive, although I learned this year that might be the cause of some of my neck issues, beyond my birth issues.

2. I was playing around with some friends, with fireworks. Don't remember quite how it happened, but we ended up playing 'russian roulette' with a firework. Stuck it in something that was definitely not strong enough to hold it up, light it, and then started running as soon as we lit it. It whizzed right by my eye, (I think) singeing my eyebrow a bit. I jumped back and missed the explosion. I found it hilarious at the time, I've since come to appreciate how vastly dumb we all were.

3. Same friends, fourth of july. We were hanging out in an abandoned park, and found a swing (I think) that was broken. Perfect height and with the ropes for me to do tricks. Added fun was right below it was a sharp spike from some other broken playground toy. I was doing some faux-flip or another, and lost my grip. Fell straight down, almost onto the spike. I was wearing those boxers that have a button in the front as underwear. It poked right through there, ripping the button off. Completely missed my nads. That one I immediately recognized I was an idiot.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've had 3 widowmaker heart attacks. Did I handle it well? I'm still here. I've been shot at (luckily not shot), had a tire iron thrown at my head during a gang fight outside an Irish mafia bar, rolled a car 3 times and walked away with a scratch on my wrist from my watch, fallen off of cars (drunken youth), fallen out of cars ( when I was 6 , no seat belts back in the day). What would I do differently? Listen to my mother and wear clean underwear.

How old was your first widowmaker? Hopefully your hearts got a lot more life in it!

The fight at the Irish bar must be an interesting story. What started the fight? Was it in Ireland or here in the USA at a Irish bar?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How old was your first widowmaker? Hopefully your hearts got a lot more life in it!

The fight at the Irish bar must be an interesting story. What started the fight? Was it in Ireland or here in the USA at a Irish bar?
My first widowmaker was at 46. I'm 60. The Irish bar was in Montreal. It was owned by the Matticks. You can look up the Matticks and the West End Gang if you are not familiar with them. As one of the bars in the area with obvious Mafia connections ( the other being a strip joint owned by Vic Cotroni's bodyguard), the bar was slack on asking for ID from underaged drinkers. I suffered through a lot of bad country and western cover bands to drink in that bar as a 15 year old.
As you can imagine, it had a rough, mixed clientele. Some folks were just from the neighbourhood , some were associated with the Irish mafia or various biker clubs. Fights were common. Sometimes the bouncers would just separate the groups, as they knew better than to throw out a member of the Mafia or bike gang, as they were associates of their boss.

This night a fight broke out at the table next to me for some unremembered reason. The bouncers came over, calmed things down and moved the seated group to another table to put some space between the two groups. When they got up to leave, one of the women in the group forgot her purse on the bench. I picked it up and carried over to their new spot, intending to give it to her. I got jumped and accused of trying to rob her. Several other people got involved, the fight got bigger, and the bouncers started tossing us outside. At this point there were about 12-15 people outside fighting. It wasn't clear who was fighting who, more just a bunch of tanked up angry people fighting whoever was in front of them. Someone went to their car in the parking lot, popped the trunk, grabbed the tire iron and threw it into the crowd like a boomerang. Luckily (for me)it missed me, hit the brick wall and bounced off a buddy's head. I took off at that point. My buddy, Gordon got stitches on the top of his head from the gash the tire iron gave him.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

my money is on in the us of a, as in Ireland they dont call them " Irish bars" not even bars generally , as they are pubs , and they are all Irish

all the term bar denotes in either the uk or Ireland is very exspensive beer

bizarrely we do have " irish bars" in the uk, but these are not all like bars or pubs in ireland, but are very close to American irish themed bars, have very exspensive beer and seem to have no Irish people in them at all

Last edited:

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
my money is on in the us of a, as in Ireland they dont call them " Irish bars" not even bars generally , as they are pubs , and they are all Irish

all the term bar denotes in either the uk or Ireland is very exspensive beer

bizarrely we do have " irish bars" in the uk, but these are not all like bars or pubs in ireland, but are very close to American irish themed bars, have very exspensive beer and seem to have no Irish people in them at all
Irish Mafia bar, as in a bar owned by the Irish Mafia. More of a seedy, barn board and stucco decor, stained with nicotine and beer. Not all Mafia bars (Irish or otherwise) look alike..

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Irish Mafia bar, as in a bar owned by the Irish Mafia. More of a seedy, barn board and stucco decor, stained with nicotine and beer. Not all Mafia bars (Irish or otherwise) look alike..
so just a general question, is it common in America to refere to bars by the ethnic origin of the owners, I'm aware that this is so with restaurants, but that largly as they sell ethnic themed food.

it's not at all in the uk, there is a landlord at my local that is clearly not from these islands, however we generally make no mention of it being " a Polish bar" the Polish shop is different as that has a very large sign saying Polish shop, in Polish

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
so just a general question, is it common in America to refere to bars by the ethnic origin of the owners, I'm aware that this is so with restaurants, but that largly as they sell ethnic themed food.

it's not at all in the uk, there is a landlord at my local that is clearly not from these islands, however we generally make no mention of it being " a Polish bar" the Polish shop is different as that has a very large sign saying Polish shop, in Polish
Bars " generally: are not referred to by the ethnicity of the owners. There are Irish pubs, referring to the decor and choice of drinks leaning to Harp, Guinness and Jameson. Whether the pub is owned by a person of Irish descent is irrelevant. I know an owner of two "Irish" pubs whose last name is Marcotte. A salsa dancing themed bar might be referred to as a Spanish bar.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In no particular order:

Getting caught in a riptide off Montauk at 11
Rolling a car at 53
Being 3/4 of the way up Tahquitz rock in California, and deciding I didn't want to rock climb anymore, at 52
Being mugged on the Brooklyn IRT, and having to kill some guy, at 20
Being on Everest in 1996, at 36....
Piloting a listing trimaran through a tropical depression at 16
Been shot at, had knives pulled at me.
Had four DVTs, and survived cancer between 50 and 61.
GETTING UP EVERY DAY AND DRIVING IN NM..

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In no particular order:

Getting caught in a riptide off Montauk at 11
Rolling a car at 53
Being 3/4 of the way up Tahquitz rock in California, and deciding I didn't want to rock climb anymore, at 52
Being mugged on the Brooklyn IRT, and having to kill some guy, at 20
Being on Everest in 1996, at 36....
Piloting a listing trimaran through a tropical depression at 16
Been shot at, had knives pulled at me.
Had four DVTs, and survived cancer between 50 and 61.
GETTING UP EVERY DAY AND DRIVING IN NM..
Braggard

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess Everest was there...so you had to climb up!

I guess living in Alabama doesn't count for this line of questioning...

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It was when my wife told me to shut up and I thought she said "stand up".

Latest Discussions