In your life what was the highest pressure situation you have experienced and how did you handle it?

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In your life what was the highest pressure situation you have experienced and how did you handle it?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really tough to narrow down. Physical danger, financial, social, family/friends/health?

As you know, life is a tough road!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gun to my head and Car Accident.

For the Gun to my head. I didn't get shot, person backed off, so that's a good ending. All I can remember from that was that I didn't want to come off to be tougher than the guy with the gun, didn't want to come off as being afraid, didn't want to come off as being an enemy.

For the Car Accident. I didn't die and I thank God for that. No one else was injured and I thank God for that to. That accident could have easily been a lot worse. Totaled my Car. Still not comfortable talking much about it. Still recovering from injuries to my back and I wonder if some of it is just going to be permanent damage. But giving my body a chance to heal. Changed my diet so that my body isn't trying to heal off of junk food. Between the car accident and the gun to my head, the accident shook a lot more mentally and emotionally. I was single and in my 20's when the gun stuff happened. The accident was different because my death would have cause a lot of hardship on my family and I felt guilty about the possibility that my actions would make life for them so much worse had I died.
I didn't reflect on things like that with the gun. With the gun I racked it up as a win and kept moving.

I'm the type of person who tends to think of others first. I've been in other situations where I could have easily died but the accident was the worse. If death was 3 step process. Where the 3rd step is death. Most of my cases would stop on with step 1. For months I couldn't talk about it, but now I don't mind as much.

Be thankful for the days you have.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really tough to narrow down. Physical danger, financial, social, family/friends/health?

As you know, life is a tough road!
I've been in the financial nightmare. That sucks too. For me it was my self esteem was on a slow slide on a razor blade. Everyday made me feel just a little bit less valuable. Hope vanished and the only thing left was the reality that trying to do something was better than doing nothing. It was one of the few times I've actually felt defeated.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impossible to say. Being attacked? How about when a weapon was involved? Resuscitating someone? How about if they're a kid, or a newborn baby? How about a kid who has been brutally abused?
If there is one question I never want asked again, it's "what's the worst thing you've ever seen?" Because nobody in this field wants to remember the worst things. I usually deflect the question by telling stories about people with foreign bodies...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HIghest pressure in the moment was probably when a computer tried to set our house on fire. Thankfully we were there and awake. We heard what sounded like something frying in the library, which was odd, since the books almost never eat fried food. We went in to look, and my laptop battery had overheated and caught fire - in a room with more than 1,000 books in a house nearly a hundred years old (and quite flammable). There were two fires going: the desk where it started, and the floor where the battery had exploded to (the frying sound was the battery bubbling away on the floor). I sent the Hobbit to grab the extinguisher and......um, had nothing to do since there was no extinguisher in my hands. When she brought it back, I put out the fire.

Honestly, I was a bit surprised how calm I felt throughout it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Parachuting was up there.
I agree, that's right up there on the list of things I dont want to do again,( its higher than get married) I literally got kicked out of the plane as I wouldnt let go, then uncontrolled falling till my parachute deployed, then I had no idea where I was other than I was heading right for a busy road, so just decided to head anywhere that wasnt full of traffic. or houses or the river or the electricity pylons

I'd had no fear of height till I did that, now I do, even watching someone falling on the tv or even looking down from a great height sets it off

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, that's right up there on the list of things I dont want to do again,( its higher than get married) I literally got kicked out of the plane as I wouldnt let go, then uncontrolled falling till my parachute deployed, then I had no idea where I was other than I was heading right for a busy road, so just decided to head anywhere that wasnt full of traffic. or houses or the river or the electricity pylons

I'd had no fear of height till I did that, now I do, even watching someone falling on the tv or even looking down from a great height sets it off
That does not sound like a fun experience.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
One time, on a hot summer day, I went to get ice cream from a local bakery. By the time I got to the front, there was quite the lineup behind me.

Waffle cone or regular cone sir.

I'll always remember those words. To this day I don't know if I made the right choice, but I had to act quickly as those behind me seemed to be in a hurry.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Impossible to say. Being attacked? How about when a weapon was involved? Resuscitating someone? How about if they're a kid, or a newborn baby? How about a kid who has been brutally abused?
If there is one question I never want asked again, it's "what's the worst thing you've ever seen?" Because nobody in this field wants to remember the worst things. I usually deflect the question by telling stories about people with foreign bodies...
I can see that. Some people just aren't going to want to go back to the Worst thing they have delt with. When I think of some of the things my friends have seen a lot of my "Worst things" are small. EMS, Fire, Soldier, Doctor, Police, etc. People from hard lives and war torn countries. "What's the Worst" thing to happen isn't a casual topic

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
my laptop battery had overheated
Glad it didn't explode when in use. Sometimes my department gets laptops back and we just sake our heads at how so many people miss a really bad situation. Batteries would swell enough to crack open the case but the techs don't hear about it until 2 months later when the user "has time." We did have one set a desk on fire in the office from what other techs tell me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
, even watching someone falling on the tv or even looking down from a great height sets it off
Watching accidents and crashes on tv or video do the same for me. I didn't even know I had issues with until I saw a crash on the news. Right away without warn, I got an uneasy feeling and it was clear my perspective changed greatly. "getting over it" isn't something that people can always do. I didn't really understand it until last month. It comes up like a natural response as if it was something that was always there.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One time, on a hot summer day, I went to get ice cream from a local bakery. By the time I got to the front, there was quite the lineup behind me.

Waffle cone or regular cone sir.

I'll always remember those words. To this day I don't know if I made the right choice, but I had to act quickly as those behind me seemed to be in a hurry.

Almost had my coffee come out my nose. God, I hope you went with the waffle cone.

Latest Discussions