What type of martial art is for me?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out what everything offers, and that's the problem. It's hard to find concrete answers. I visited a Shotokan dojo a couple summers ago and watched a class. It's really difficult to assess an art by short-term observation.

I'm trying to find out what these disciplines offer so I can see what is the best fit for me and also what I can access locally. It's turned into a serious pain in the ***.

Firstly are you sure you need to train martial arts?
It's going to take quite a while to learn any techniques to the point where you can do them instinctively without having to think about it. Have you asked current prison officers what they advise? I know most prison officers here don't have martial arts training, they don't need it. Is it part of the qualifications you need to be eligible for the job? this is what you need to be eligible for the UK job, all sorts of things, there's a physical test, a maths test, eyesight, nationality etc but nothing about being able to do martial arts. This is because you will be taught all the techniques you need and they will be the legal ones which means you will be covered in any enquiry. Prison officers don't work alone, they work in teams, getting on with your fellow officers might be more important than knowing martial arts! Home | NOMS Careers

If you want to train martial arts but don't need to then choose one you will enjoy regardless of whether you think it will be useful for your job, it will be even if you don't think so because of the benefits of training any art.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
No.. did you not read the curriculum? It is like somewhere near the back.. You must ALSO find an evil dojo -you got one of those in your town right?- and vanquish them.. THEN you will be a karate master..

alternatively, I got a piece of paper right here -is handwritten and stuff.. like we can call it a "certificate" if you like- and this paper will confer karate mastership upon you if you wax my car and paint my fence.. over the next few years I mean.. ha..

I tried vanquishing the evil dojo but they swept my leg and now I have a limp.

So looks like option 2 for me.

By any chance....you wouldn't happen to know the Miyagi hand clap healing treatment for my leg would you?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tried vanquishing the evil dojo but they swept my leg and now I have a limp.

So looks like option 2 for me.

By any chance....you wouldn't happen to know the Miyagi hand clap healing treatment for my leg would you?

Yeah it is pretty simple. You clap your hands. Then gather your chi. And then slap the guy and tell him to harden up princess.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@firelake. Like yourself, I have been thinking about working in prisons. I do think you are looking at this a tad the wrong way. Nothing personal here, but I think looking at a MA as the toolbox armour could get you in a sticky wicket still. For exmple if you did get in to a scrap, and I sincerely hope you don't, but the possibility remains, using MA would advertise that to the inmates, who may decide to target you as being a new guy for starters.

Back in the day for me, the license athourity through whom I got my security badges, used Krav through the up skilling as it is called over here. Personally I think you look towards more certified response training in whatever guise that would be. Krav would be a good place to start. Minimal, non flashy and gets the the job done. Yes learn a martial art for sure, but you don't need to start that journey to learn effective locks, grabs etc, for your employment means. Just my take, but one should never advertise ones skils, just do what is necessary.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the Denver area? I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone in the Denver area...

Check out Enshin Karate!!!

Enshin was founded by Joko Ninomiya. He was a legend in Kyokushin karate (full contact/bare knuckle). He left Kyokushin and eventually formed Enshin. He took knockdown and added grabs and Judo throws and takedowns.

His dojo is somewhere in Denver. I've never been there. It wouldn't hurt to go in and see what they're doing and if it fits what you're trying to accomplish.

OP
F

firelake

White Belt
Reaction score
Indeed I have looked at Enshin, I just don't know what to make of it. I've been by that dojo more times than I can count.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Indeed I have looked at Enshin, I just don't know what to make of it. I've been by that dojo more times than I can count.

Have you gone in and watched? If you have, and it's not for you, then cross it off your list.

Latest Discussions