What type of martial arts...

MasterTails

White Belt
Reaction score
I want to learn a martial art, I don't actually have a preference. I took Taekwondo for a while...like 6 years ago >_>
Anyway, I was looking for more of a 'reactive' rather than offensive martial art, but something that could still do considerable damage. (What am I saying here any MA can do damage...)

Any suggestions? Anything else you would need to know before you suggested something!?

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first question we have to ask is: what martial arts are offered in your area? Next, out of those, which can you afford (some are very pricey, while others can be very inexpensive).

AoG

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree with the last post. If yo can get to a school go visit it and see if you like what is taught there. prices differ from school to school and paying the most may not mean you get what yo want or the best instruction so go look at what is in your travel area and find one that you like.
Talk with students and instructors befor joining

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Have you try "JUDO"? ...it is more than you think....

Because of the actual contact and energy use in training....this Judo is an effective martial art.

Those who have Judo backgrounds and enter MMA...then to have a slight advantages to those without Judo backgrounds.

Judo does have it combat side to its art and not only for sport.

Judo is one of the closest thing to actual combat....where karate is hardly any full contact on a daily basis.

Wrestlers,kick boxing, MMa's, and JUDO......is actual fighting skills that is use daily and for real! ...........just my thoughts on this.....you will have to look more into it! ..........Aloha

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Read through this thread for some really good info on where to start. The martial arts are a life long pursuit and entering into any training should be something done after the right research to ensure, hopefully, a successful journey. Good luck and keep us posted.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judo is one of the closest thing to actual combat....where karate is hardly any full contact on a daily basis.

I find myself constantly surprised, SL, at how consistent you are in simply denying all the contrary evidence that's been offered to your many, many repetitions of the bolded statement in the above quote. Whole books on street combat applications of karate, with detailed realistic training routines. DVDs. Explanations from professional streetfighters, who are also high-ranking Shotokan karatekas and karate instructors, of the combat potential of karate using realistic training protocols. And none of it, not one little bit of it, appears to have made any impression at all.

But for those of you who, in contrast, are willing to examine evidence for or against a particular claim—who are, that is, interested in getting at something like the truth of whatever claim is involved—please have a look at the Japanese Special Forces training in Shotokan that is exhibited in the video here. Ask yourself whether the level of intense structured violence built into this training, and its fairly obvious effectiveness, represents something that might count as a clear counterexample to still_learning's claim. Then take into account the fact that this sort of training is fully in line with the British Combat Association's training protocols, and an increasing number of North American dojos (though the latter will not yet have quite caught up to the first two, probably, given the legal problems that that kind of severe training entails). And then go back to still_learning's post and decide for yourselves how most judo training stacks up against the `pit-bull' style karate training exhibited here.

Please note: I am not knocking judo/jiujitsu in the least. Trained appropriately, it can almost certainly be a very effective street art, and it is a fact that many of the throws and grappling techs in jujiutsu are related to similar living techs in Okinawan karate, and latent techs in Shotokan and other Japanese styles (as shown in loving detail in Iain Abernethy's terrific book Karate's Grappling Methods, exposing the grappling techs that realistic bunkai for Shotokan kata reveal). My point is that, as always, it is how you train your MA that determines its street effectiveness; that there are many places and schools where karate is trained to a high level of street effectiveness, and there are probably many dojos where judo (like karate) is not trained to that level—and therefore that invidious, and apparently seriously uninformed comparisons between the arts along the lines still_learning makes in the above post are very, very wide of the mark.

OP
M

MasterTails

White Belt
Reaction score
So, since there seems to be controversy, what would you say is the most applicable for actual combat?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, since there seems to be controversy, what would you say is the most applicable for actual combat?
This is a personal decision that only you can make. What works for me, personally, may not work for you, and I would not impose my choice on others if it does not fit them. In addition, no matter how good the MA is, if you don't like the class, the instructor, the format - any particular thing about it - you won't stay, you won't learn, and therefore it won't work for you.

That's why this topic comes up so often - some people believe that only their particular style is effective - but most people believe that there has to be a fit between the student, the style, and, most particularly, the instructor.

If you check the links I posted above, you will see that they lead to discussions on how to pick the art that is right for you - not the one that is right for someone else.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a personal decision that only you can make. What works for me, personally, may not work for you, and I would not impose my choice on others if it does not fit them. In addition, no matter how good the MA is, if you don't like the class, the instructor, the format - any particular thing about it - you won't stay, you won't learn, and therefore it won't work for you.

That's why this topic comes up so often - some people believe that only their particular style is effective - but most people believe that there has to be a fit between the student, the style, and, most particularly, the instructor.

If you check the links I posted above, you will see that they lead to discussions on how to pick the art that is right for you - not the one that is right for someone else.

And let me add to Kacey's shrewd post a point which is often lost track of when people compare arts: you can approach any of the arts as a jutsu or a do—a set of combat techniques and training methods with a harsh, damaging payoff that ends a fight as early as possible, or a `way' whose ultimate purpose is not street combat effectiveness. The difference isn't generally a matter of technique, but of application: how you train. Do you study the most damaging applications of the techs in your system: crushing strikes to the throat, joint-destructive low kicks, throws which will almost certain damage the attacker's head? Do you train all-out, non-compliant, unpredictable, with no strikes excluded (except perhaps that spearhand strikes to the attacker's eyeballs are replaced by light touches, as Abernethy explains in the final chapter of Bunkai Jutsu)? Do you consciously try to train to manage the adrenal surge and loss of fine motor skills that kicks in at the initiation stage of a violent physical encounter? Then your MA, whichever one you've chosen, is probably going to be a horrifically effective combat system, quite possibly more brutal than you bargained for or desire. That's what it was created for! The fact that it may not be habitually trained that way says way more about changes in social conditions between 18th c. Asia and 21st century N.America and Europe than it does about the inherent effectiveness of the art....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some very good and deep responses to the question above, ladies and gentlemen :rei:.

There's always an element of 'controversy' washing around the many styles of martial arts, Tails. The trick is not to let it deflect you at such an early stage of your journey.

When you start out, you have no idea what will suit you, so it's natural to ask others who have gone before (which is one of the interpretations of sensei by the way). However, to sound hideously cliched, we all walk our own paths and we make decsions as we go that affect our judgement and opinions on the arts we (and others) practise. All any of us can do is say "This is what I did" and all you can do is try it and see.

One thing that is a constant is that the longer you train and the higher you climb then the more you see that all arts are more similar than dissimilar.

For example, one of my fellow MJER iaido students is also a very serious karateka (in fact, so is my iaido sensei). Before a near fatal bike accident stopped me training, I spent over a decade trqaining in Lau Gar kung Fu. Now you'd think that there couldn't be much that's the same between these two arts (indeed I used to hold a very low opinion of Karate until I'd studied enough to know better) but we find all the time in conversation of techniques and situations that the most common phrase that comes out is "Yes, we do that too".

So try things out and see how they 'taste'. One word of caution, don't bind yourself to 'contracts' you can't get out of easily and, above all, take your time - there's no rush, you have a lifetime ahead of you.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no best martial art. (Bob, can we require people coming to MT to find out what martial art is "best" to read this 1000 times? I know... I'm being silly...)

Each martial art has it's own strengths and weaknesses as an art. Each practitioner then adds their own personal strengths and weaknesses and preferences, as well as training habits. These all combine to make a particular person more or less effective.

What I'd encourage a person considering a style to do is to start by assessing a few things. First, what's available in your area -- meaning the area that you can reasonably travel to several times a week. This isn't going to be the same for a 16 year old as it is for 25 year old, and it's not going to be the same for a 25 year old making minimum wage with no car as it is for a 30 year old multi-millionaire with their own private jet... and the license to fly it. Second, how much time can you devote, and when is your time free? Training takes time; some styles demand more time than others, and it doesn't do you any good to want to take classes in something that's only offered when you're at work. Third, how much can you afford to spend? Don't forget uniforms, gear, and equipment. Some styles are more expensive than others and there's no reason for you to go broke. Finally, visit the schools. See how you like them; see what you think of how they're taught. Because if you don't like the training, you won't be there.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to learn a martial art, I don't actually have a preference. I took Taekwondo for a while...like 6 years ago >_>
Anyway, I was looking for more of a 'reactive' rather than offensive martial art, but something that could still do considerable damage. (What am I saying here any MA can do damage...)

Any suggestions? Anything else you would need to know before you suggested something!?

Do you want to train for self defense, health, fun or do you just love the arts?

By reactive do you mean an art focusing on control rather than overwhelming your opponent?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there's hardly any contact in karate someone should have told my instructors! It would have saved me many bruises and injuries. :)

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's no best martial art. (Bob, can we require people coming to MT to find out what martial art is "best" to read this 1000 times? I know... I'm being silly...)

Each martial art has it's own strengths and weaknesses as an art. Each practitioner then adds their own personal strengths and weaknesses and preferences, as well as training habits. These all combine to make a particular person more or less effective.

What I'd encourage a person considering a style to do is to start by assessing a few things. First, what's available in your area -- meaning the area that you can reasonably travel to several times a week. This isn't going to be the same for a 16 year old as it is for 25 year old, and it's not going to be the same for a 25 year old making minimum wage with no car as it is for a 30 year old multi-millionaire with their own private jet... and the license to fly it. Second, how much time can you devote, and when is your time free? Training takes time; some styles demand more time than others, and it doesn't do you any good to want to take classes in something that's only offered when you're at work. Third, how much can you afford to spend? Don't forget uniforms, gear, and equipment. Some styles are more expensive than others and there's no reason for you to go broke. Finally, visit the schools. See how you like them; see what you think of how they're taught. Because if you don't like the training, you won't be there.

Read this one OVER and OVER again!!!!!
Then 2 more times!

and
again.....

Then you'll see.

Your Brother
John

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brother John said!

I always fancied doing capoiera but I know I'd never manage it, I'm just not flexible enough. The Chinese arts look super but no one does them near enough for me same with Iaido. Probably just as well there isn't too many schools around me, I'd be like a child in a sweet shop wanting to try everything! I've been told that Shotokan is ideal for bigger built people while Wado is better for smaller ones.The word karate perhaps a bit misleading for beginners as there's many styles. I know Kendo is expensive with the gear you have to buy.Judo, Juijitsu and BJJ suit people who don't mind close body contact. TKD I think probably suits people who like to be fast moving. I'm sure everyone could add to this but the point is that there really isn't a best style, best school or best instructor only what suits and fits you.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In Japan ,Karate is more intense and strict and longer classes or training time. They do alot of kumite fightning to.

The more you martial art classes practice against real fighting? and with lots of contact? ....real self-defence against real speeds and force? ...the more you will become better at fighting back. (not sparring)

They say you want to learn martial art? ...take karate (genric name use here)....or you want to learn to fight? ....take (boxing, kick boxing, Judo, wreslting, bjj....)

JUDO because of the constance real like fighting training you do everyday...with contact and actual throws, and takedowns...JUDO is a great art to learn if you want to gain knowledge right away...it take years to learn all about JUDO...but the skills you gain is REAL STUFFS...Just my thoughts here....BEST IS TO TRY IT and form your own opinions...

REAL fightin? look and study it.....how does your training compare to REAL fighting...or actual fighting on the streets?

Martial arts training? ..and real fighting training? .....there is a difference....? VERY few schools train like the Okinawa's style of hardcore....in the USA? ....just look around...

Aloha ( I will get blasted...that is OK....the truth is out there) or you will find out for yourself on the REAL STREETS of USA>>>

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, In Japan ,Karate is more intense and strict and longer classes or training time. They do alot of kumite fightning to.

The more you martial art classes practice against real fighting? and with lots of contact? ....real self-defence against real speeds and force? ...the more you will become better at fighting back. (not sparring)

They say you want to learn martial art? ...take karate (genric name use here)....or you want to learn to fight? ....take (boxing, kick boxing, Judo, wreslting, bjj....)

JUDO because of the constance real like fighting training you do everyday...with contact and actual throws, and takedowns...JUDO is a great art to learn if you want to gain knowledge right away...it take years to learn all about JUDO...but the skills you gain is REAL STUFFS...Just my thoughts here....BEST IS TO TRY IT and form your own opinions...

REAL fightin? look and study it.....how does your training compare to REAL fighting...or actual fighting on the streets?

Martial arts training? ..and real fighting training? .....there is a difference....? VERY few schools train like the Okinawa's style of hardcore....in the USA? ....just look around...

Aloha ( I will get blasted...that is OK....the truth is out there) or you will find out for yourself on the REAL STREETS of USA>>>

Are you trying to put me off coming to the States or just whetting my appetite for a fight? :)

I fought full contact karate, still do hence my need for a dentist.

If I could work out how to get a picture from my mobile phone onto my computer I'd post up the pictures of my bruises (why they are on there is a long story)

Ah the 'real' fighting problem. If someone is striking you..hard and you're striking back..hard that is a fight BUT IT'S CAN ALSO BE SPARRING. Many people spar hard.

Judo is a good sport. The best for what you call street fighting on it's own? Doubtful but it would depend on the Judoka.

Best not to turn this into a style v style argument because as we have all said it depends on the person. (Deja vu is a wonderful thing)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you trying to put me off coming to the States or just whetting my appetite for a fight? :)

I fought full contact karate, still do hence my need for a dentist.

If I could work out how to get a picture from my mobile phone onto my computer I'd post up the pictures of my bruises (why they are on there is a long story)

Ah the 'real' fighting problem. If someone is striking you..hard and you're striking back..hard that is a fight BUT IT'S CAN ALSO BE SPARRING. Many people spar hard.

Judo is a good sport. The best for what you call street fighting on it's own? Doubtful but it would depend on the Judoka.

Best not to turn this into a style v style argument because as we have all said it depends on the person. (Deja vu is a wonderful thing)
Tez, if you have a multi-media function on your phone you can e-mail the photo from your phone to your e-mail addy.

It amazes me that no matter how many times we have this conversation on the boards that it lasts for pages upon pages. Visit different dojos, interview different instructors and follow your gut pretty much sums up what most folks will tell you yet there are a thousand different ways of saying it.:uhyeah:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez, if you have a multi-media function on your phone you can e-mail the photo from your phone to your e-mail addy.

It amazes me that no matter how many times we have this conversation on the boards that it lasts for pages upon pages. Visit different dojos, interview different instructors and follow your gut pretty much sums up what most folks will tell you yet there are a thousand different ways of saying it.:uhyeah:

Cheers I'll sit and see what I can do, I'm not posting pictures of my broken tooth though lol, the superglue is still holding! Sparring is non contact my foot!

Latest Discussions