What to do?

Im redy 4 u

White Belt
Reaction score
I am wanting to learn self defence but also I want to know how to strike quite well. I can only do one martial art at a time. I am currently trying to decide between Muay Thai and Jujutsu. Obviously, Jujutsu is better for self defence but are you taught to strike in jujutsu as well as you are in muay thai? I was thinking of maybe doing a year of muay thai and then starting on jujutsu. I was also thinking of doing Vale Tudo. I don't know what to do. I am 15. What are your opinions? Thanks.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know what to do. I am 15. What are your opinions?

First please do not take this the wrong way but being 15 it really is'nt your decission it would be your mom and dads. Now to your question what is the sole purpose of wanting to learn self defense it looks cool or is it more than that. Do you also want to learn the art? How much time can ou give to learning with school? Do you have a way there being only 15, have you arrange something with your parents on that and if not you need to without there support how can one train.

Please take the time to talk to your elders and with them go and check out want is in your area.

I hope you can find what you are looking for.

OP
I

Im redy 4 u

White Belt
Reaction score
My parents are fine with me wanting to do a martial art. They said they will take me, so that is not a problem. Erm ... I want to learn a martial art so I can defend myself if needs be. I would just like to know what I should do.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My parents are fine with me wanting to do a martial art. They said they will take me, so that is not a problem. Erm ... I want to learn a martial art so I can defend myself if needs be. I would just like to know what I should do.

Then if they are fine with it, the next step is simple you have choosen to arts, your first move is locate to training halls and make a trip to both of them watch a class afterward go to the head instructor and have a talk and if all goes well wiegh the option of both pro and con to each style that you have choosen and make the decission. Remember it is more important to hav a great instructor than to have a great style, the instructor is the key to any Dojo. I hope this will start you on your way.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then if they are fine with it, the next step is simple you have choosen to arts, your first move is locate to training halls and make a trip to both of them watch a class afterward go to the head instructor and have a talk and if all goes well wiegh the option of both pro and con to each style that you have choosen and make the decission. Remember it is more important to hav a great instructor than to have a great style, the instructor is the key to any Dojo. I hope this will start you on your way.

This is perfect advice. To Terry you must listen. He is a very wise man and you WILL benefit from his advice.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Visiting both schools is a great idea. Muay Thai is an excellent self-defense art for one-on-one, mutually unarmed situations. You will be hit during training, which is part of what makes it so good for learning self-defense in a erlatively short time. What is meant by "jujutsu" varies widely so it's hard to say how useful it will be for your needs. But as indicated above, what the instructor does with the art is more important than the art itself, so you really need to check out both places.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
What ever you decide to take, make sure your happy with your decision (since both systems are good), make sure you put your heart into which ever one you decide on, for without your heart being into it, your wasting your time and money.

G

TKDJUDO

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was 15 once, and my parents didn't know anything about martial arts. What I did was I searched under Wikipedia the things you learn under certain martial arts and yes, I decided to learn martial arts for the self-defense part because you don't know what will happen to you on the streets these days. Anyways, it's really unfortunate that you can only learn one martial art at a time because it is really beneficial to have a secondary martial art on the side.

With Jujitsu, it's more of defense and grappling but there is some striking involved. With Muay Thai, im hearing that it's pure offence but some instructors do add a little defensive flavour to their programs so check some schools out to see what suits you.

If your focus is more on self-defense, then jujitsu is probably better because like I said, there is SOME striking. Other than that, I really recommend Wing Chun, Taekwondo, Hapkido or Jeet Kune Do (Jeet Kune Do by the way is a mixture of fast-paced Striking and self-defense).

Hope this helps.:cheers:

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is perfect advice. To Terry you must listen. He is a very wise man and you WILL benefit from his advice.

Yes! You should go to the schools and meet the Instructors. You can make your decision then. When you make the decision, then you practice continually, and practice HARD. No matter which school. You don't give any backtalk to the Teacher, no questioning. Just learn, and practice, continually.

You will benefit from whatever school you go to, as long as the Teacher is good, and you try hard. Which Art you choose is secondary to these things, that is how I see it!

Besides, as you alluded to at first, you may wish to cross train in another Art after some experience in one. 15 is such a good age to do this! You have many rewarding experiences to look forward to on this journey!

All the Best,

Robert

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The good thing is, that even if you start training in one style, you can always switch if it does not work for you. JMO.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am wanting to learn self defence but also I want to know how to strike quite well. I can only do one martial art at a time. I am currently trying to decide between Muay Thai and Jujutsu. Obviously, Jujutsu is better for self defence but are you taught to strike in jujutsu as well as you are in muay thai? I was thinking of maybe doing a year of muay thai and then starting on jujutsu. I was also thinking of doing Vale Tudo. I don't know what to do. I am 15. What are your opinions? Thanks.
Jujutsu is better for self defense? How do you figure? I don't really agree that either one is clearly superior defensively.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jujutsu is better for self defense? How do you figure? I don't really agree that either one is clearly superior defensively.

It depends quite a bit on what threat you figure you'll be facing...let alone how either of these very different arts works for an individual person. I'd say the MMAers have shown they're a nice combo.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My opinion is you have to be 18 to join this forum, so you must have lied when you signed up here at MT.

AoG

I lie about my age all the time though admittedly the other way! MT is obviously such a good place that people really want to be on here even if they have to say they are older ( and hasn't everyone done that at some time?)

Vale Tudo is a type of competition not a style so anyone saying they teach it should be looked at closely. Mixed martial arts is a style though and you may find that's what you want to do but again you and your parents will need to look closely at any class to make sure it's suitable for you. It has striking and grappling but may be geared towards competing and for adults.
good luck though with whatever you chose.

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I believe that most fights happen within an 18 inch area. That's why I study kempo. Both arts you mentioned are excellent, but as in all martial arts you get out what you put in. good luck in you journey.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a snip from the material from our self defense course:

General Notes on martial self-defense and martial arts programs
The old Motown song says "You better shop around". This applies to martial arts schools as well as boyfriends. Finding a good school where you are happy is more important than finding the "right style" of martial art or the best possible self-defense program. Don’t suspend your judgement just because this is an unfamiliar activity. Trust your instincts. Use common sense. Be courteous and expect the same from teachers and senior students.

Watch out for hype

Many teachers will say that what they teach is ‘the best’, ‘the most effective’ or similar lies. Leave immediately if the teacher claims that you will be invincible or completely safe after taking his or her course. Martial artists who claim that their style is thousands of years old should be treated with skepticism. Teachers who make grandiose claims about themselves can be crossed off the list. (Grandiose claims about their teachers are normal.)

The student-teacher relationship should not be materially different than it is in any other classroom. You should feel comfortable with the teachers. Ask whom they studied with and what sort of certification they received; legitimate instructors will be glad to tell you.

Not everyone can afford a modern school with lots of equipment. Some of the best schools are in the teacher's garage. A school should look like someone cares about it. It should be clean, tidy, and safely maintained (no exposed wiring, no sharp objects lying on the floor, etc.). Often the teachers' certifications will be displayed as will pictures of their teachers. A large number of trophies can indicate tbat the school concentrates on sport competition rather than self-defense or cultural matters.

Talk to students in the class. Ask why they do what they do. If they sound like advertising brochures or cultists leave quickly.

Martial Arts

Martial arts training differs from self-defense training in several important ways. There’s no time limit; you can continue for as long as your interest lasts. Many of the training methods and techniques are superb but only bear fruit after many years of practice. Goals of martial arts training can include self-defense, physical development and mental growth, competition, experiencing a foreign culture, or socializing with friends who share your interest.

While you are at the school you should watch a class. A martial arts teacher who will not let you observe should be viewed with suspicion. Who teaches the class, the instructor or senior students? Are they good teachers; do they demonstrate and explain techniques, answer questions, offer individual feedback? Do the students appear relaxed or are they uneasy or uncomfortable? Do they ask questions during class? How do they interact with each other and with seniors? Be sensitive to atmosphere.

Emphasis

All schools will say that what they teach effective self defense. However, each school emphasizes different things. Many schools (and we must be blunt here), especially Karate and Tae Kwon Do, are primarily geared towards competition. Tournament fighting is very different from self-defense. Skill at one does not necessarily give skill in the other. Paradoxically, many Judo dojos and boxing gyms make no bones about the fact that they teach a sport for competition, yet they are among the most street-tested martial arts around. Go figure.

Many schools take great pride in the number of techniques and forms they teach. While having a wide range of skills is good, it is less important than being able to use a few of them well. How much drill time does the class allow?

Forms (also known as katas, kuens, poomses or djurus) are a traditional part of many martial arts. However, forms just by themselves do not teach good martial art. A class where students do not practice their techniques on other students or with equipment such as pads, bags, or kick shields is not a good sign.

Sparring (or push hands in Tai Chi) is a useful and important phase of training. It is only a part. A firm foundation in basics is more important. Unsupervised sparring, especially by beginners, is not safe.

Business Matters

There is a wide range of business styles among martial arts schools. Some charge by the lesson, some by the month or year. Remember that you are comparison-shopping and may change your mind or move in the next couple of years. Most people stay with a martial arts school for less than a year. Pressure to sign up right away should be viewed much the same way as pressure to buy a used car. Long term contracts (more than about two or three months) should be avoided. There are a couple of franchised schools who sign all of their students up for contracts and programs sell the contracts to a collection agency. If a student quits he or she still has to pay for lessons.

Most places in the Portland metro area charge between 45 and 80 dollars a month. Two uniforms (so that you will always have a clean one), a mouthpiece, protective equipment such as boxing gloves and special items like practice weapons are standard.

There are often hidden costs to martial arts schools. Some require you to buy accident insurance. Some have expensive tests for rank. Others require a lot of equipment. Seminars with visiting instructors may be rare or common.

Latest Discussions