What the best strike to cause liver shock?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm curious what it would be. Me personally I think it's a roundhouse kick connecting with the shin but it's happened to me before with a reverse punch/cross.

Any physics guys here and medical experts who can objectively determine what would be the best way?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many variables. That roundhouse, for example, won't work if the persons body is rotated in either direction.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you define liver shock? What are the symptoms, and what has happened to the liver (aside from the obvious, that it was struck)? What is recovery like? Is it a lasting injury?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should never fight with the set goal of doing certain damage..your goal should be to win or defend yourself if I throw a punch thinking this will break his ribs and itll stop him then it doesn't I'd be unprepared for what to do next

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I'd vote left hook.

Most of Mike Tyson's knockouts-especially in the guys that lasted longer-were with a left hook to the liver...it might not have been the punch that knocked them out, but it made them reflexively cover their liver with their right elbow: their body would not allow them to take that punch again.

Of course, it's like Dirty Dog said, there are far too many variable involved-being able to deliver power like that is probably the first one...

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you define liver shock? What are the symptoms, and what has happened to the liver (aside from the obvious, that it was struck)? What is recovery like? Is it a lasting injury?

It's that feeling you get when you get hit in the liver so hard, you begin to feel sick to your stomach. It makes you feel all around gross and disoriented, i guess the best way to describe it is like you suddenly got the stomach flu.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should never fight with the set goal of doing certain damage..your goal should be to win or defend yourself if I throw a punch thinking this will break his ribs and itll stop him then it doesn't I'd be unprepared for what to do next

I don't want to know for those reasons. It is just curiosity. I mean why do we learn to break necks and bones if we aren't supposed to use them? We learn them Incase we ever have to and simply just for the sake of learning it.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't want to know for those reasons. It is just curiosity. I mean why do we learn to break necks and bones if we aren't supposed to use them? We learn them Incase we ever have to and simply just for the sake of learning it.

Just curious....how do you break necks?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't. Never have done it but I was shown how to do it before.
Personally I'm not big into neck breaks because if your ever in a fight I really don't think it's ever necessary to break someone's neck. If you get in that position just choke them unconscious but if you break a neck you'll ever get done for manslaughter or you could paralyse someone. People In jobs like the military it would obviously be an important move but of course it's interesting to lewrn but I'd never do it. If I'm ever attacked I don't want to kill the guy just stop them and keep myself safe

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm all seriousness though it is hard for me to explain. The one I was shown is to place right arm over their neck while your left hand is holding their arm. Place your foot on the back of their knee to knock them into a position where they are on their knees.

Then with your right arm hook around their neck just under their jaw. Here you can pull up and back using your arm and body, you can stand too. This creates a lot of pull on their neck and should make them feel like their jaw bone is going to be pulled off.

If you continue to do this it can pop the neck. I hope I described it ok, as I said I don't really know how to describe stuff like this as to well as it is easier to show visually.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Left hook. Getting a solid liver shot really sucks.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I'm not big into neck breaks because if your ever in a fight I really don't think it's ever necessary to break someone's neck. If you get in that position just choke them unconscious but if you break a neck you'll ever get done for manslaughter or you could paralyse someone. People In jobs like the military it would obviously be an important move but of course it's interesting to lewrn but I'd never do it. If I'm ever attacked I don't want to kill the guy just stop them and keep myself safe

Well yeah same here. I don't want to do it but I was still shown it, you were shown it to which is my point.

We were shown it because it is a part of martial arts. I feel like the liver shock strike is the same thing only on a smaller scale.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm all seriousness though it is hard for me to explain. The one I was shown is to place right arm over their neck while your left hand is holding their arm. Place your foot on the back of their knee to knock them into a position where they are on their knees.

Then with your right arm hook around their neck just under their jaw. Here you can pull up and back using your arm and body, you can stand too. This creates a lot of pull on their neck and should make them feel like their jaw bone is going to be pulled off.

If you continue to do this it can pop the neck. I hope I described it ok, as I said I don't really know how to describe stuff like this as to well as it is easier to show visually.
I'm no expert on this so I may be wrong but I train with a guy who's a doctor and he said you can do damage to the neck by pulling it forward and back and to the side but it can be fixed but if you pull the neck diagonally e.g to the corner then there's nothing they can do to fix it. Now that was a while ago he said that so I may have misremembered it but that's how I remember it being told

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd vote left hook.
Me too. The liver is "bigger" (going up to the left side) and more exposed at the forefront than at the flank. And this punch is quite easy.

I don't remember liver pain after a kick. A good knee could work, too. But it seems in that case the solar plexus is a preferred target.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious....how do you break necks?

Lots of ways. The most common involves twisting the neck beyond it's normal range of motion. Depending on body position, it's possible to break the neck with a knife hand or an axe kick.

Personally I'm not big into neck breaks because if your ever in a fight I really don't think it's ever necessary to break someone's neck.

Right. And you're an expert on what's necessary because...?

Here's just one example. You're unarmed. They're not. Running away isn't a viable option. Damn straight I'm willing to break their neck.

If you get in that position just choke them unconscious but if you break a neck you'll ever get done for manslaughter or you could paralyse someone.

C5-6 quad. No charges filed against me. Nor would there have been if he'd died. That's why it's called self-defense.

People In jobs like the military it would obviously be an important move

This is ridiculous. People in the military rely on weapons. That's what they're trained for. If a soldier is forced to resort to hand to hand combat (ok, I'm not talking about a dust up in a bar...) then an awful lot of things have gone incredibly wrong.
Except in Hollywood, of course.

Here's a free clue. Military training in unarmed combat amounts to a few hours. About what you'd get from attending one of those weekend "self-defense" seminars.
Because weapons...

but of course it's interesting to lewrn but I'd never do it. If I'm ever attacked I don't want to kill the guy just stop them and keep myself safe

Which sometimes means killing or crippling the other person.

So when was the last time you were attacked by someone with a weapon who was doing their best to kill you? Explain to us all how you choked them out without being stabbed or shot.

Latest Discussions