what sword manufactures

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have only done tameshagiri a few times but I can fully support Ken on this.

If you really need to get that bit of reassurance that your cutting technique is good enough, then, aye, it is a worthwhile thing to do.

For me it was a surprise that it was quite as easy as it was for the blade to pass through the target cleanly, so the excercise served its purpose.

Tidying up afterwards was significantly less fun :D.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As to the quality of the PPK series, I have one and comparing that live-blade to my Tozando iaito is like comparing a Fiat to a Ferrari.

The weight of it makes it useful for training sometimes but the overall quality of fit, finish and, most crucially, balance is poor. The comparsion anecdote I always give about the difference is that I used my Paul Chen (from new) for two weeks and the ito was warped and twisted out of shape. I have used my Tozando for over five years and the ito hasn't moved a hair!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, it’s a friggn three foot long razor blade, did you really expect anything different???

Must.... resist...
:D

Please don't use the 'r' word if you don't want me to go off into a long monologue about trivia that cannot possibly be interesting to the general populace.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Must.... resist...
:D

Please don't use the 'r' word if you don't want me to go off into a long monologue about trivia that cannot possibly be interesting to the general populace.

LOL!
Actually i do need to chat with you sometime about purchasing a straight razor....
Ok, I'll change my wording, a friggn very sharp piece of steel with a pointy end.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As to the quality of the PPK series, I have one and comparing that live-blade to my Tozando iaito is like comparing a Fiat to a Ferrari.

The weight of it makes it useful for training sometimes but the overall quality of fit, finish and, most crucially, balance is poor. The comparsion anecdote I always give about the difference is that I used my Paul Chen (from new) for two weeks and the ito was warped and twisted out of shape. I have used my Tozando for over five years and the ito hasn't moved a hair!

That's very disappointing to hear about the Paul Chen swords. Has their quality, as a whole, really dropped that significantly over just 6 years?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's (Paul Chen QA) always been inconsistent, Gren. I have a wakizashi to match my PPK (bought a couple of years later) and that is low quality too.

From the sounds of things you have had fortune when buying PC blades, which shows that you can get decent (if still decidedly 'budget' and improperly dimensioned/weighted) swords from them sometimes.

PC stuff is okay for it's price point but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone serious about Iai (i.e. those in it for the 'long haul').

Latest Discussions