Paul Chen Swords: XL vs Elite Blades- Any Real Difference?

Kojimada

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings!

I am new to the forums (first post, actually), so, hi!

I am taking kenjutsu. I have always wanted to learn the sword, and I now have the means to peruse this Way.
I will need to purchase a shinken (live blade) at some point, and I am looking at the Paul Chen Tori katana.

However, I am a little confused.

What exactly is the functional difference between the Elite Blade and the XL Blade aside from size? All of the reviews I have been able to find on YouTube of people performing tameshigiri all seem to be using the XL blade for the Tori.

Is it preference? Does one actually cut better than the other? The internet is failing me here.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you discussed this with your sensei? If you are considering purchasing a live blade then your sensei would be in the best position to give you guidance on what is appropriate. He may have specific rules about what he allows to be used in his classes, to make sure the item is of high quality and won't fall apart and become dangerous.

A lot of opinions on the internet don't necessarily come from people with a solid background in legitimate sword training, so I advise you to be very careful about whose advice you are willing to accept.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you discussed this with your sensei? If you are considering purchasing a live blade then your sensei would be in the best position to give you guidance on what is appropriate. He may have specific rules about what he allows to be used in his classes, to make sure the item is of high quality and won't fall apart and become dangerous.

A lot of opinions on the internet don't necessarily come from people with a solid background in legitimate sword training, so I advise you to be very careful about whose advice you are willing to accept.
Definitely.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What exactly is the functional difference between the Elite Blade and the XL Blade aside from size? All of the reviews I have been able to find on YouTube of people performing tameshigiri all seem to be using the XL blade for the Tori.

Is it preference? Does one actually cut better than the other? The internet is failing me here.

Greetings!
What kenjutsu school are you attending? (curiosity)
The differences between Hanwei's Elite and XL blades is all in the shape. The XL blades are wider, and a little heavier. The increased width makes the blade a bit thinner, and so makes the angle from the side (shinogi) to the edge (ha) sharper. This sharper angle combined with the increased weight make it go through soft targets such as tatami easier. The Elite series are more traditionally shaped, although they tend to be a bit wider than the average Nihonto also.

A very informative place to visit and dig around in is Nihonzashi. Mike Femal knows what he's talking about, since he has his own Toyama ryu dojo, and has put a lot of good information out there about the Chinese made Japanese style swords.

Hope that helps!

Latest Discussions