What Style

What CMA do you take ( mulitiple Choices are allowed)

• Praying Mantis ( Northern & Southern )

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • Wing Chun

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Eagle Claw

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Hung Gar

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Monkey

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Choy Li Fut

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Tai Chi Chuan

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Pa Kwa

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • White Crane

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Other ( please list what style in your post )

Votes: 24 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
W

white mantis

Hi White Mantis here again, Just wondering what CMA you guys and gals study here and post why below. I do northern 7 Star Praying mantis kung Fu because of it's mercilesslis attacks.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've studied Wing Chun and Tai Chi... among other non CMA's :asian:
Why? Because it was available to me at the time. :idunno:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I study taiji and 7 star preying mantis. I've allways studied CMA but mantis only the last several years.

7sm

OP
R

RHD

7starmantis said:
I study taiji and 7 star preying mantis. I've allways studied CMA but mantis only the last several years.

7sm

Hung Gar, but very interested in any Southern systems, especially from a five animal base. Shuai Chiao is also an interest.

Mike

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I study Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu, which incorporates some Eagle Claw, Praying Mantis etc. I love doing this because I feel its a very practical system, hardly any flashy moves and good for self defence. We of course do weapons and I enjoy doing weapons forms. But there are so many other Martial Arts I would love to study such as Aikido, more Chin Na, Wushu and Wing chun, to name but a few!

OP
S

shasticon

I study Lung Shou Pai, Dragon Claw style. It's a family style that grew out of the Five Animals, with some other influences thrown in. It's the only kung fu taught in my area, but I even if there were other options, I'd stick with it.

KungFuWarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I study Sil-Lum Kung-Fu. I initially picked this style because it was the only kung fu offered in my area but I have grown to love it because it allows one many different fighting styles to choose from different fighting styles (Crane, Leopard, Tiger, Snake, and Dragon) We also study a little praying mantis and emperors long fist but not untill upper ranks. :asian:

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not taking classes at the moment, I don't think we're having any either since our teacher moved back to his home country of Taiwan. But when I was, we were learning Yang style tai chi and northern Shaolin long fist kung fu.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I do both Shaolin and Tai Chi. I'm not very good at either, but that's just a matter of semantics.

OP
W

white mantis

Seems we have a lot of Tai Chi People here. Not thats a bad thing :uhyeah:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sunburst Natural Fist System Sil-Lum Kung-fu
- 5 Animal Style, Praying Mantis/Monkey
- Yang Style Short Form Tai Chi Chuan

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned that kung fu was the primary style for the classes I was in. The majority of our time was spent learning that. Tai chi was secondary. Our teacher was trying to give us as many of the kung fu forms as he could, and there were a *lot* of them, we probably barely scratched the surface of what the style contains, so he focused on that. He did want everyone to learn tai chi, too, but the emphasis was definitely on the kung fu, not the tai chi.

OP
R

RHD

Palusut said:
Sunburst Natural Fist System Sil-Lum Kung-fu
- 5 Animal Style, Praying Mantis/Monkey
- Yang Style Short Form Tai Chi Chuan

Palusut, is your five animals through Ark Wong?

Mike

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Respectfully, I do not know the percentage of what came from the late Ark Wong.

The name of our system is Sunburst Natural Fist System ("Tai Yang Tzu Jan Men"). The name of our founder is GM Rick Ward.

GM Ward also is the 36th Patriarch of the Emperor's Long Fist System which he received from Dr. David E. Kash, who was a direct student of Ark Wong.

Previously before studying with Dr. Kash, GM Ward studied under Master Allan Woods in Sil-Lum Kung-fu and he also studied under GM Norman Pedlahore as well.

Best regards,

Palusut

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sil Lum Hak Fu Muhn (Shaolin Black Tiger) and Hung Fut.

I do both styles because i'm learning from each of the styles current Grandmasters ,plus i'm getting old school training ,and i love old school training.

Plus Black Tiger and Hung Fut fit me perfectly.

jeff:)

KungFuWarrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Hi Mike,

Respectfully, I do not know the percentage of what came from the late Ark Wong.

The name of our system is Sunburst Natural Fist System ("Tai Yang Tzu Jan Men"). The name of our founder is GM Rick Ward.

GM Ward also is the 36th Patriarch of the Emperor's Long Fist System which he received from Dr. David E. Kash, who was a direct student of Ark Wong.

Previously before studying with Dr. Kash, GM Ward studied under Master Allan Woods in Sil-Lum Kung-fu and he also studied under GM Norman Pedlahore as well.

Best regards,

Palusut

Hey man I too study at one of the schools headed by GM Rick Ward. I study at Foothills Kung Fu. Which school do you study at? This is cool to find someone studies under the same system and GM. Small world after all I guess. lol

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KungFuWarrior said:
Hey man I too study at one of the schools headed by GM Rick Ward. I study at Foothills Kung Fu. Which school do you study at? This is cool to find someone studies under the same system and GM. Small world after all I guess. lol
Palusut and KungFuWarrior, me too! I'm at the Mountain City school. :)

OP
G

Gilor

I'm learning Pangai-noon!
It rocks! Uechi-ryu sucks, it's just more aggresive and less stable.

The old Chinese Pangai-noon is more about inner energy and chi.

Pangai-noon is a combination of the Crane, Dragon and Tiger Arts, it's combining them all into one great art.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

I am training with an Instructor out of Canada in Shaolin Kung Fu just started this week.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
Northern 7 Star Praying Mantis

-I spent a long time trying to get my work schedule in order so I could get back into the martial arts again. I was a slug for far too long. Well, I'm still working on the schedule thing, but I spent awhile looking at martial art schools in my area. I also did a little net surfing on different styles. I don't even remember what sparked my interest in Praying Mantis, perhaps it was here, cause I've been visiting this website for a year. So, I found a school nearby that has a fairly flexible schedule, very accomodating to the work schedule. Did a little more research on the style, liked the fact that it was well rounded, and checked out the school itself. I signed up that first night, which I know some may consider a sin, but I felt very comfortable there, and the Sifu is awesome. Everyone is very helpful, the senior students have proven to me that there is something to this style, and the conditioning is wonderful. Need I say more?

A---)

Latest Discussions